Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 05:14 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I meant why would you - with the corrosive chemicals and special tools and such. Or was that not what you meant?

But yes, he can do whatever he wants with his own property. I can still think it's a silly waste.
Myself, I don't have the tech to completely wipe a hard drive clean to the point that old data could not be found by a skilled tech. As such, I also don't have the tech to know if any extremely sensitive personal information was stored on the computer. Things like banking, purchases (including credit card numbers), and other info that could be used for fraud and identity theft. Only sure way is to completely destroy the computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:20 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Myself, I don't have the tech to completely wipe a hard drive clean to the point that old data could not be found by a skilled tech. As such, I also don't have the tech to know if any extremely sensitive personal information was stored on the computer. Things like banking, purchases (including credit card numbers), and other info that could be used for fraud and identity theft. Only sure way is to completely destroy the computer.
reinstalling over it is the only way to wipe it completely. You can redo windows several times over it. They also have programs that will do multiple passes of ones and zeros. And actually destroying the drive is still possible to recover that data/

Old 02-10-2012, 05:46 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
reinstalling over it is the only way to wipe it completely.
You can redo windows several times over it. They also have programs that will do multiple passes of ones and zeros. And actually destroying the drive is still possible to recover that data/
What are multiple passes of ones and zeros? Anyone thinking good times virus spoof at that?

Old 02-10-2012, 06:12 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,329 times
I think the punishment is a bit excessive. The way he reacted, way excessive. He is the parent and should be acting like one. She is a child and should be treated like one. She is 15. I had a job, in the summer when I was 15. But during the school year? No and that didnt make me LAZY, it made me a child who also had a full time job, being a STUDENT. Not a little servant around the house and no a member of the workforce. What child ever hasnt complained about their parents at some point or another. In this digital age, our children see the world differently than the generation before. Where we would have complained on the phone or at school they take to FB and block their parents. To them its the same as saying these things out of earshot of their parents.Saying that she is lazy on the internet for the world to see is worse than her *****ing on her private fb. He went overboard

Old 02-10-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I think the punishment is a bit excessive. The way he reacted, way excessive. He is the parent and should be acting like one. She is a child and should be treated like one. She is 15. I had a job, in the summer when I was 15. But during the school year? No and that didnt make me LAZY, it made me a child who also had a full time job, being a STUDENT. Not a little servant around the house and no a member of the workforce. What child ever hasnt complained about their parents at some point or another. In this digital age, our children see the world differently than the generation before. Where we would have complained on the phone or at school they take to FB and block their parents. To them its the same as saying these things out of earshot of their parents.Saying that she is lazy on the internet for the world to see is worse than her *****ing on her private fb. He went overboard
*like*

Old 02-10-2012, 06:20 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,075 times
She used the computer and social media to publically belittle, complain, and put down her own Father. He works to provide for her and this is what she does. Seems right he should destroy the computer publically to teach her a lesson. Father's have feelings too and when you ignore your own Father's feeling and disprespect him publically you get what you give in the way that you give it and they way they she can understand how she disrepsected him. She is only 15 she has no privacy rights when it's comes to what she puts in writing on FB. Some day she will have to grow up and then she will find out how employers, by the time she's 18, will judge her for every stupid thing she says on the internet even if/when she doesn't mean it and it's just joking around like for shi ts and giggles. Better to learn to now.

Now granted it was overreactive for a parent but we don't know his daughter as well as he, her Father, does so maybe for all we know this is the only way he can get through to her.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
She used the computer and social media to publically belittle, complain, and put down her own Father. He works to provide for her and this is what she does. Seems right he should destroy the computer publically to teach her a lesson. Father's have feelings too and when you ignore your own Father's feeling and disprespect him publically you get what you give in the way that you give it and they way they she can understand how she disrepsected him. She is only 15 she has no privacy rights when it's comes to what she puts in writing on FB. Some day she will have to grow up and then she will find out how employers, by the time she's 18, will judge her for every stupid thing she says on the internet even if/when she doesn't mean it and it's just joking around like for shi ts and giggles. Better to learn to now.

Now granted it was overreactive for a parent but we don't know his daughter as well as he, her Father, does so maybe for all we know this is the only way he can get through to her.
You have rights to privacy even if you are a teen. Being a child does not suddenly strip you of certain rights in life. Yes fathers do have feelings, but mature fathers sit down and express how they feel. They don't dole out ridiculous punishments because they can't handle someone talking about them. You also don't know how well he actually provides for her since you don't live with them. Like i said before, for all we know like most issues in life both parties are at fault. There is a good chances she is a bit of a brat. And there is also a good chance that daddy is a bit of a control freak.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wow. A father who actually took control of the situation and did what he thought needed to be done. I'd probably shake the man's hand.

(Personally, I wouldn't have shot the fire out of it. I'd have had me a nice laptop that had just ben upgraded. But charging her a buck each for the hollow points was a nice touch.)
ROFL! Yes, I wouldn't have wanted to waste a computer, but then . . . I think since he is in IT, maybe the computer was not that valuable to him personally - it was more valuable to make a point with his daughter, who he stated had repeatedly not listened and continued to be disrespectful.

I also thought the touch about the $1 per bullet was clever, lol.

Taking a computer away implies it can be given back at any time. Trashing it makes it clear that things are on a completely different level . . . the computer was not gonna define their relationship and to get another one in the future means the daughter is gonna have to change her behavior big time.

This father is not a loon. Sometimes, when talking isn't getting the message across, doing something dramatic is the only way to get a child's attention. I say - Good for him.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
The father issued a statement today:
UPDATE: Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson - Chicago's Best Variety of the 80s, 90s and Now

I have changed my mind 360 degrees after reading through the entire article. It sounds like he made his point and didn't expect it to go out to the world. The best part was how he managed to see the post to start with.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The father issued a statement today:
UPDATE: Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson - Chicago's Best Variety of the 80s, 90s and Now

I have changed my mind 360 degrees after reading through the entire article. It sounds like he made his point and didn't expect it to go out to the world. The best part was how he managed to see the post to start with.
I am so glad you found this. It all makes a lot more sense hearing about it in context. After reading more, I am ready to give him a big old thumbs up. And I think the daughter's reaction to some of the more hateful comments was kind of funny, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting