Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Way to teach you child how to deal with situations. Just use a gun and get rid of it!

I guess her bf's will learn that then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 12:39 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wow. A father who actually took control of the situation and did what he thought needed to be done. I'd probably shake the man's hand.

(Personally, I wouldn't have shot the fire out of it. I'd have had me a nice laptop that had just ben upgraded. But charging her a buck each for the hollow points was a nice touch.)
Can't rep you yet...but yes ma'am. Would I have shot up the lap top? No, not likely, but only because it cost so much money and I'm not sure I agree with the concept of using firearms to solve problems. Do I think he (if this is real) made a point of clarifying the statement, "You spoiled rotten little liar. I already told you if you did this sort of thing again, the consequences were going to be far, far worse!"? Why yes, yes I do. Me? I'm just redneck enough, I'd want to shake his hand too!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:41 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Yes she is subject to her parents rules, but there are limits. You can't legislate what someone can think or feel no matter how you spin it. All this man will do with this extreme stuff is ensure he drives a wedge between him and his daughter. And no i am 26 years old go to college still and hold a masters degree so to your assumptions on the subject.
ExCUSE me!? The little snot got on the Internet and was talking sh*t and telling lies about her parents. Sounds to me like SHE is the one who drove that wedge! Of course, you're the poster who said, "If my parents had done that, I'd destroy their computer." Yeah....great attitude.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:46 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
The "little snot" got on the 2012 preferred personal communication platform to vent about her life and her parents to her peers. No crime was committed, but yet there was gunfire.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,232 times
I wouldn't have filmed that. If I were to do a point-by-point rebuttal of a BS letter written about me by a spoiled, self-centered, two-faced crybaby who went out of her way to trash me in the public domain then I want that child in front of me, not a camera. And no, I never have and never would strike a child for something like this. But, there are certain aspects of parenting that I'd keep private, and disciplinary action is one of them. I'd praise my kids in public, but punish them in private.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:01 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I mean i don't get what she did that pretty much every teen doesn't do. And to be honest if my parents had done that i would be beyond livid. Chances are given my flash like temper i would trash their computer actually. Though lets be clear i also have always bought my own computers so i would have a bit more of a right to be mad i think.
You've got to be kidding. Wait until you have children of your own.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:03 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
I think the actions of the father were appalling. At that range he should have a much tighter group.
What? The whole shooting of the computer was definitely over the top imho...however i get the message he was trying to send to his daughter. I wont go that route as a parent, but i'll see to it that an ungrateful child, earns his/her keep around the house.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
I find nothing wrong with what this Dad did. There are consequences to actions and this girl just got a big dose of consequences. The letter she wrote was just plain wrong and I think she deserved everything she got, bullets and all.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
The "little snot" got on the 2012 preferred personal communication platform to vent about her life and her parents to her peers. No crime was committed, but yet there was gunfire.
So a crime being committed is the standard for good behavior in teens? As long as they aren't knocking over the local Jack In The Box for pocket money they can do whatever they want?

She was also rude to the woman who cleaned this family's house. I kind of like that the dad wouldn't put up with that. (Or let her get away with it.)

Edit: I just watched it a third time. He also was disgusted with her cussing. And one of the reasons why was because he believed it showed she had a lack of respect not just for others but for herself. A father who wants his daughter to respect herself as a young woman. I like this guy more and more. (I suspect because I understand him.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-10-2012 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Always one more thought.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:51 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
I thought this was a pretty good article.

Lisa Belkin: Father Shoots Daughter's Laptop: Now What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting