Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:44 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

Do the French know something we don't know? I personally think beauty pageants for kids do more harm than good and there is no regulating the good taste and proper parenting of the parents involved in them. But should we consider banning them or regulating them more?

World News - French report: Ban child beauty pageants, padded bras for little girls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 04:59 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,324,343 times
I think regulating would have to be extreme... so banning may not be that bad an idea!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,969 times
Why? I don't think they're in very good taste but I also don't think they're as "harmful" as outraged parents like to go on about.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,874,095 times
I think they are dreadful. They should only be allowed for those who are old enough to make their own decisions like 18+. Most of these kids are going through the motions in order to please their moms.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 AM

unexpected- have you ever watched Toddlers and Tiaras? Have you ever actually been to a pageant?

Yes I know the former is reality TV but these kids are so many times ABUSED, shamed, punished and downright forced to try to fulfill the dreams and aspirations of their mothers. The way those 3 and 4, 5 year olds sas, hit and scream their way thru the pageants is disgraceful. And pageant parents- dads are just as bad feed their kids all sorts of disgusting sugary and caffeine drinks to keep them hyped up so they can last a grueling schedule even for an adult.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:07 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
unexpected- have you ever watched Toddlers and Tiaras? Have you ever actually been to a pageant?

Yes I know the former is reality TV but these kids are so many times ABUSED, shamed, punished and downright forced to try to fulfill the dreams and aspirations of their mothers. The way those 3 and 4, 5 year olds sas, hit and scream their way thru the pageants is disgraceful. And pageant parents- dads are just as bad feed their kids all sorts of disgusting sugary and caffeine drinks to keep them hyped up so they can last a grueling schedule even for an adult.
I have seen the show and have not been to a pageant since child pageants are open only to direct family of the contestants.

There are some definite questionable parenting techniques on T&T and most of them I do not approve of, though every once in awhile they show a child who actually enjoys the pageants and a parent who stays grounded and knows how to put their kid in timeout, even if it's just before showtime.

But do you really think pageants are causing parents to be bad parents? Or are they bad parents already? Banning child pageants won't turn these adults into stellar moms and dads or turn the kids into perfectly mannered young children. There's nothing inherently wrong with pageants, they just attract the wrong kind of crowd.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

But do you really think pageants are causing parents to be bad parents? Or are they bad parents already? Banning child pageants won't turn these adults into stellar moms and dads or turn the kids into perfectly mannered young children. There's nothing inherently wrong with pageants, they just attract the wrong kind of crowd.

Good points. Pageants do not inherently cause parents to be bad but I think they bring more opportunity to these horrible parents to rationalize their poor parenting skills.

Good, kind patient parents would not make for very good TV would it? One reason why reality TV is a breeding ground for so many bad characteristics but that is another thread isn't it?

Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,874,095 times
I think beauty pageants for children are "inherently bad".

Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,049 times
Personally, I am against the pageants because I believe in childhood. I think toddlers should have a huge amount of free time to play and explore. The expectations, demands, emotions, the feeling that you are RESPONSIBLE for your parents' happiness (omg!!!), the idea that your worth is based on your appearance and other people's perception of your appearance. Mix these up and you have a future drug problem. Seriously.

One of my sisters in LA was in the entertainment business and really pressured me to get my son into commercials and wanted to be his agent. I refused over and over again. Simply put, I believe in childhood.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book L[COLOR="Black"
[/color]over 21;23301699]Personally, I am against the pageants because I believe in childhood. I think toddlers should have a huge amount of free time to play and explore. The expectations, demands, emotions, the feeling that you are RESPONSIBLE for your parents' happiness (omg!!!), the idea that your worth is based on your appearance and other people's perception of your appearance. Mix these up and you have a future drug problem. Seriously.

Simply put, I believe in childhood.
my feelings exactly...........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting