Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of my parents?
They aren't that bad, ease up 21 35.00%
Aren't the best parents in the world but they are not the worst either 33 55.00%
Ya, you have some bad parents 3 5.00%
YOUR PARENTS ARE REALLY REALLY BAD! 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Your choices are your own at this point.

What else are they doing while you and your little brother are being neglected?

Are they working, partying, what?

Old 03-10-2012, 01:16 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
If you want any chance of success in life, stop blaming your parents for your problems.

1) Buy and prepare healthy food for you and your brother. A part-time job would allow you to earn enough money to easily do this. I'm sure that if your parents are spending money on fast food, they'd jump at the opportunity to have you shop and cook for a fraction of the cost.

2) Transfer to a better school. If you are as smart as you assume you are, this shouldn't be a problem.

3) Save some money to get your own apartment. Maybe when you're on your own you'll appreciate your folks and all they have done for you.

4) Offer to take your brother on a walk, min-golf, or whatever it takes to get him moving and away from the video games. He'd appreciate it, I'm sure.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
I did not have a choice in taking classes

OMG really, so what my parents are doing is normal? WOW!
Very few high school students have a choice in what courses they take (other than a few electives).

You certainly cannot blame your parents if you were unwilling to put in the work to get the grades you needed to get into college or to get a job. Parents cannot do the work for you. This is what is wrong with some kids in school today. Everyone else is to blame for their bad grades.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
You have to go to a local university?

Don't move an inch. I'm alerting the media.

While we're waiting for the satellite trucks to arrive go look in the pile of clothes in the back of your closet. See what's all rumpled up on the floor? Those are your Start-Acting-Like-An-Adult-And-Not-A-Whiney-9-Year-Old pants. Go put them on.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:02 PM

526 posts, read 1,003,281 times
My inner matchmaker wants to set you up with textqeen...

You are only 19. There is no way that your future is ruined. Set some goals and make the changes you need to in order to achieve them. Simple as that.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:04 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
I want to hear your experiences and stories, maybe the one I am about to tell is not so bad.

Before I go off on a rant about my parents. I will say that they have provided me food, shelter, in some cases have encouraged me (though such cases are rare), and that is about it.

My little brother for the past 5 days has had nothing but fast food to eat after school. From Tuesday to Thursday it was Burger King, yesterday it was a Chinese Buffet, and today it was Dunkin Donuts. He is 5 years younger than me, about to go to high school, and he weights the same I do despite being a lot shorter than I am. His grades are good so that is all they really care about.

He stays up till 1 or 2 AM in the morning on weekends playing videogames, he plays videogames for about 9-10 hours a day, and they do not care. As an older brother, I try to get him to stop and not do such things, result? They yell at me and start a fight with me.

As a child I was a victim of their bad parenting too. What could have been an Ivy League fit kid ended up being a kid who is at a local university. I was overweight, significantly, but I ended up losing a lot of weight after I told them to get lost and back off. They tried to force me and urge me to eat at buffets too but I learned to turn them down.

Right now I am a kid who lives at home (out by the end of this year), have gotten into various arguments with them which have ended up disasters, have a low GPA because they forced me to major in something I had no interest in and when I tried to fight them over it they yelled constantly and I lacked the backbone to stand up to them.

I am 19 right now. A lot of my future has been ruined because my parents strict yet incompetent parenting. They really messed a lot of things up. Talking to them has ended up a disaster so I am typing up things on word to let them know what they did wrong but I do not even know if that will work but it seems unlikely. How can these people be this way and why did I have to be born to them......

You tell you story!!
Be thankful that they did provide you food and shelter. There are many families that cannot provide that.

When I was teaching in the inner city of Chicago in high school, I had one girl whose parents threw them her into the Chicago winter with just her pajamas. When she came to school the following day, we had to call child protective services to get her into a shelter where she could at least stay warm.

I had a friend who taught elementary school on the west side of Chicago. Her first grade students often did not have enough to eat. The first graders would steal food from the cafeteria to bring home to little brothers and sisters. We often brought in extra food to give them. Some of her students were living in homeless shelters. They had no gloves or hats for the Chicago winter. My friend and I would go to the garage sales to buy these things to distribute to the kids. At one point, she did a literacy activity with the kids and asked each child to bring a book from home to share. Many of the children had no books at home at all. A few had only a Bible or a cookbook. That was when we began to get books at garage sales and level them and give them one to each child to take home.

Not everything above was the fault of the parents, but in many cases, the parents were drug addicts or alcoholics and these parents were often abusive to the kids. For some of the kids, though, the parents were doing the best they could do.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:07 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
despite their many shortcomings everytime i win a fight everytime i succeed everytime i dont fold up. the fact that i am here with these many good things inc this PC and keyboard and uverse and leisure time to type on CDF, are all trophies to the proven fact that my parents must have done something right. thanks mom and dad.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:17 PM

630 posts, read 1,717,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
My inner matchmaker wants to set you up with textqeen...

Old 03-10-2012, 02:22 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Frankly, you don't seem that bad off. My dad and stepmother were much worse (I won't go into the nitty gritty, but be grateful you have a roof over your head, even at 19 and food in your belly, even if it's not the best food).

And yet, as bad as I had it, when I was in high school, I had friends in DCFS custody who had worse parents than I did. One of my friends was raped by her dad then her mom duped her in the system.

And yet, even she had it better off than some other kids. I have a relative who works in social services and last year took in a case where a toddler and 5 year old were starved and beaten so badly that they both needed steel rods and the 5 year old is partially paralyzed.

And yet, even they had it better off than some other kids. They're still alive...

Be grateful for the things you do have and the horror you haven't gone through.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:49 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You have to go to a local university?

Don't move an inch. I'm alerting the media.

While we're waiting for the satellite trucks to arrive go look in the pile of clothes in the back of your closet. See what's all rumpled up on the floor? Those are your Start-Acting-Like-An-Adult-And-Not-A-Whiney-9-Year-Old pants. Go put them on.
I put on my big girls pants BOTH FEET AT A TIME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.