Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:41 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times

Advertisements

Imagine the very worst time you've ever stubbed your toe. You know, the one where it made you queasy and brought tears to your eyes. Then imagine doing it about every other minute for 2 1/2 hours. That was labor for me. Except not in my toe, of course. And, as it turns out, I'm a screamer. Who knew?

It was better after the epidural, but then my lower half was numb and I couldn't really push. But she eventually got here and I'd do it all over again for her.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:45 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Whoa, you ladies have been really descriptive! Makes me kinda glad we adopted our baby!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:46 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Whoa, you ladies have been really descriptive! Makes me kinda glad we adopted our baby!
After my one, I'm glad I started adopting dogs and cats!

Old 09-11-2007, 12:37 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Forgive me, but I'm just a mere mortal male who has no idea. But I've always wanted to-- well Ill let my future wife do it. But I must know- does it hurt??
Um.. well, as many have stated, try delivering a watermelon out of a hole that is normally smaller than a grape (hopefully!!)

Not to sound gross or anything, but your skin stretches and tears, you actually bleed (it's not just afterbirth), and a lot of women require stitching (mine took about 15 minutes to do because of how bad I tore)

It's a VERY painful experience.. but it is one of the most fulfilling feelings I've ever had. When I heard the first cry..... a tear came to the eye of all non-doctors in the room. We were all crying like babies because of how joyous the moment was.

I can tell you that I was in a buttload of pain.. but for the life of me, I could never describe how it felt.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:53 PM

18 posts, read 105,016 times
I know some people make it sound like the most beautiful moment of your life, but I don't think so!!! I have 2 boys, and those two experiences of labor: nights that I thought would never end. I had epidural the 2nd time, but the pressure was so intense, so I can't say it was any less pain. Giving birth: I tried to tell my husband it's worse than the worst kind of constipation. But once the head was out, I felt the relief, physically.

Labor is the ultimate test of physical endurance. Contractions are pain beyond pain, a tightening that consumes you. Also, how come no one mentions the occasional poop and/or vomit women go let out?

Beyond that: I remember my 2nd son seconds after birth. The nurse lay him down on that little table they have, maybe 10-12 feet away from me. I saw this little creature stretch out his legs and arms, kicking and crying. All I can remember is thinking, he's just a few seconds old, he's so long, so alive!!

They lay him on my chest after wrapping him up, and all I could do was cry. I was just at a loss, and that's all I could do.

Humans aren't programmed to remember physical pain as much as emotional ones. Would a woman give birth more than once if that weren't nature's way??!!!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:00 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Ok. You stand across the room and let your wife tasser you in the abdomen every 15 min for about 7 hours. Then every 5 min for another 4hours. Then every 3min until you just about pass out. Oh, then just as you are falling asleep, she will wake you up every two hours for a week to feed the baby.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:25 PM

268 posts, read 1,108,700 times
Humans aren't programmed to remember physical pain as much as emotional ones. Would a woman give birth more than once if that weren't nature's way??!!![/quote]

You are so right. Imagine before the time of epidurals and hospitals, etc..
Imagine 3rd world countries... No pain relief what so ever...

I had three. Screamed my "A" off with my first (no anesthesiologist available). The labor was terrible. By my 3rd, I knew at what centimeter I would start not being able to take it (4 cm.... 6 to go)...

It's at around 4-5 cm that the pains are more frequent, leaving less time to rest inbetween....THat was the worst.

My second, I got stuck at 8 cm for many hours (still no epidural..not by choice...same hospital as first)...

My third.... Different hospital....Got my epidural.. at 4 cm... Lucky me had what's called a "window". A small area in my abdomen didn't take the epidural. Felt like someone was stabbing me...

And about the epidural, although it alleviated ALOT of the pain.... It was awfully strange not being able to walk for a few hours.

It's funny how most of us women continue to have more even after the pain..... Thank God for giving us the gift of forgetting (well.. almost)...

Old 09-12-2007, 06:16 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
It feels like your body has been hit by a freight train.

No really, at the time I thought I would never forget how painful it was. Labor for 30 hours and hard pushing for about 2 hours. Eventually I was apologizing to the doctors for not having the energy to push him out, the brought a vacuum and I pushed once more and out he popped.
Would I put him back now almost 9 years later if he fit ; nope, not one chance of that.
The second was a c-section.
d

Old 09-12-2007, 03:39 PM

195 posts, read 231,173 times
I've had 2 c-sections, both painful to recover from. My first labor was 15 hours long. To be honest, I didn't find the labor painful-- I was just so anxious to finally meet my baby. For me, the recovery after the surgery at the incision was very painful. But, it was also VERY worth it all, as I have 2 beautiful little girls. My husband says that sfter watching the first labor and delivery, he has no idea why I ever wanted to do it again, especially since the kids are only 21 months apart. I'd do anything for my 2 healthy, wonderful daughters!

Old 09-14-2007, 04:16 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Ok. You stand across the room and let your wife tasser you in the abdomen every 15 min for about 7 hours. Then every 5 min for another 4hours. Then every 3min until you just about pass out. Oh, then just as you are falling asleep, she will wake you up every two hours for a week to feed the baby.
Ha Ha Ha! Perfect description!!!
I like to lovingly describe is as the type of pain where they could wheel around the hospital naked, hanging upside down from an IV pole by your big toe and while normally that would be mortifying, you are too occupied with screeching at everyone you see to help remove the obviously barb-tentacled alien child from your body. Yep, that about describes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting