Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 01:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Eh my family only drinks on occasion so i don't agree with that.
More anecdotal evidence!

A lot of people on this board don't want to be confused with the facts, that's for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 01:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Eh i take anything she says with a grain of salt really since she is trying to sell books.
No, she was very accurate in describing the drug culture she grew up in. You could get high in Laurel Canyon back then if all you did was drive through with your windows rolled down.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:59 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,395,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
More anecdotal evidence!
A lot of people on this board don't want to be confused with the facts, that's for sure!
Fact: Lucidkitty was responding to a question soliciting "anecdotal evidence". The question was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Let us be real shall we--how many people do you really know who only drink now and then socially?
At any rate, giving anecdotal evidence isn't much worse than taking correlational data and running with it, imo.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Fact: Lucidkitty was responding to a question soliciting "anecdotal evidence". The question was:

At any rate, giving anecdotal evidence isn't much worse than taking correlational data and running with it, imo.
Leaving yourself an out, I see. PoppySead did not aske for anecdotal evidence.

And just to refresh your memory, Vic:

Quote:
The problem is always the same, when using anecdotal evidence to explain what happened and why: You've no way of testing your theories. How do you know it wouldn't have made a difference if your parents were more strict?

Not to get into the whole Nature vs. Nurture debate, but while it's true that babies are born with their individual temperaments, it's also true that parents can work with (instead of against) their child's temperament to produce good results. For example, "strict" parents also manage what sorts of influence their child is exposed to whenever possible, which can be helpful if the kid is prone to impulsivity ("being stupid", as you say). So while part of the blame can always be given to the child, it's the interaction between the child's temperament/personality and the parents' style of parenting that makes the difference, imo.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-17-2012 at 02:54 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Leaving yourself an out, I see. PoppySead did not aske for anecdotal evidence.
You're right; he asked a question. Only you would consider giving the answer as giving "anecdotal evidence"

Quote:
And just to refresh your memory, Vic:
Uh huh? I haven't changed how seriously I take anecdotal evidence. I'm only adding that I don't take correlational studies any more seriously. And how do you respond?

Old 03-17-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
You're right; he asked a question. Only you would consider giving the answer as giving "anecdotal evidence"
I think Poppy is a "she" and the person who responded to her said "my family. . . so I don't agree with that". As if one family's experience is the gold standard.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I think Poppy is a "she" and the person who responded to her said "my family. . . so I don't agree with that". As if one family's experience is the gold standard.
I stand corrected on PoppySead's gender. But when someone flat-out asks you "How many people do you know that do this?" and you answer "Me and my family", that is not submitting anecdotal evidence, Katiana

Old 03-17-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected on PoppySead's gender. But when someone flat-out asks you "How many people do you know that do this?" and you answer "Me and my family", that is not submitting anecdotal evidence, Katiana
Well, it's an answer, but it doesn't really tell us much. So the four or so people in one's family only drink socially? Big whoop!

Old 03-17-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Well, it's an answer, but it doesn't really tell us much. So the four or so people in one's family only drink socially? Big whoop!
Take that up with the gal who asked the question in the first place, Kat. They gave their perspective as influenced by their personal life experiences, and so Lucid and I gave ours.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:17 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,525,265 times
This seems to be a difficult subject for anyone to take a moderate stance on.

I married into a family where dancing, drinking, card playing, seeing movies were all seen as sinful.
They are some of the most dysfunctional people I have ever met. DH excluded, but when we met he had already left "the fold." They are teetotalers or drunkards, abusive parents, racists and judgmental.

I had German Great Grand parents who would give us a little beer with dinner. My mom was quite appalled. We love to dance and celebrate as a family.
These people like to judge others and beat their kids.

There is something called balance. I can't imagine a father taking his son aside a and introducing him to drugs or drinking. I can also not comprehend parents who drink socially or tried marijuana in the 60s 70s or 80s acting wildly shocked when their kids try this themselves.

There is documented evidence that when campuses went "dry" in the 1980s (in the wake of Nancy Regan's "Just Say No" campaign of that decade, that binge drinking escalated, deaths attributed to drinking on college campuses (something UNHEARD of when I was in college rose) and moderation went out the window. At my first University, we could meet friend's for a beer on a Thursday after class. Since they were about a dollar each, there was a very real limit as to hom much could be consumed. It was in a social setting with a primitive video game, a pool table, pinball and a jukebox.
A lot better than downing a 12 pack in the woods.

Any substance can be abused. Including food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting