Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:35 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,547,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, I believe Mackenzie Phillips because I read Papa John, her father's autobiography, years ago and he said the same thing. He gave his kids drugs/made them available to them at a young age. Her siblings all say the same thing, so it's likely true. So much for selling books, though--I got it on the Bargain Table for six bucks.

I don't think John Phillips fell into the responsible-parent category, lol. Sad, though, a huge talent wasted.

I had to teach my daughter very closely about alcohol and drugs because her father is an alcoholic and there are addicts on both sides of the family. She had to know that there was a possibility that if she started to drink, she might find herself unable to stop. She did not drink throughout high school, and she is anti-drug, won't even smoke pot. She does drink sometimes now, but she is wary and fearful of addiction. My brother died six years ago of cirrhosis brought on by the use of contaminated needles in his younger days and exacerbated by subsequent drinking as life went on after he cleaned up from heroin. There is no way to sugarcoat that it is a horrible and painful death. Not fun to watch your favorite uncle wasting away, but hopefully the lesson was driven home by life experience.

Besides, that, my kid is a health nut. She eats healthfully, does yoga, runs. Weirdo. Hehehe.
That Papa John was a great book! I read it too, it that the one were he and Keith Richards would get so high together. I really liked him and his honesty in that book. I believe he corrupted McKenzie with drugs, the sexual stuff I dont believe. He was a bad prescription addict. One of the worst, but that book it was called I think Papa Bear something like that a big thick hard cover was great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 09:51 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,329,539 times
I don't have any children yet but alcohol and drug usage would be an absolute no-no. Part of growing up is learning about how to control your desires and temptations. Not all curiosities have to be discovered or pleased.

I've noticed a lot of my other former classmates, who's parents were more liberal and permissive tended to drink and get wasted more. Other classmates, who's parents who were more conservative stayed away from drugs and alcohol.

Something else that annoys me is that you guys seem to assume that all teenagers are going to experiment or put themselves around these things whether or not you want them to. That just isn't so. Personally for me, watching my father struggle with alcohol addiction was enough for me to stay away from drinking as well as drugs. Plus, my aunt used to let her son drink alcohol at social events or dinner parties like you guys mentioned. Now he's an alcoholic.

Overall, drinking among teenagers has gone down. The generation who were in high school in the late 1970s-mid 1980s were the biggest alcohol drinkers. But knowing how this forum is, someone on here's going to dismiss it.

Last edited by 90sman; 03-18-2012 at 10:02 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 10:06 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,405,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Something else that annoys me is that you guys seem to assume that all teenagers are going to experiment or put themselves around these things whether or not you want them to. That just isn't so. Personally for me, watching my father struggle with alcohol addiction was enough for me to stay away from drinking as well as drugs. Plus, my aunt used to let her son drink alcohol at social events or dinner parties like you guys mentioned. Now he's an alcoholic.
I gotcha. I typically can't stand "They're gonna do it anyway" either. Doesn't sound like parenting. But you must keep in mind that not everyone has seen what you've seen growing up, and therefore not everyone will be as averse to alcohol as you are.

Also, in the case of alcohol (I think most of us agree giving your kid illegal drugs is a "no-no"), it is true that the chances of them never coming into contact with it are very, very small. And isn't that part of what raising a kid is all about, teaching them how to manage those aspects of life that are practically inevitable? Figuring they aren't scared away by the memory of instances in which alcohol was abused, what's there to guarantee your child (should you have any) won't be curious about drinking as a teenager?

Old 03-18-2012, 11:22 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,317,737 times
Quote:
I don't have any children yet but alcohol and drug usage would be an absolute no-no. Part of growing up is learning about how to control your desires and temptations. Not all curiosities have to be discovered or pleased.

I've noticed a lot of my other former classmates, who's parents were more liberal and permissive tended to drink and get wasted more. Other classmates, who's parents who were more conservative stayed away from drugs and alcohol.

Overall, drinking among teenagers has gone down. The generation who were in high school in the late 1970s-mid 1980s were the biggest alcohol drinkers. But knowing how this forum is, someone on here's going to dismiss it.
WHo had far more conservative parents i might add . The thing is most kids will try something during their life, but most people don't get enthralled enough with it to continue.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:34 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,020,755 times
Quote:
Yup! See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
WHo had far more conservative parents i might add . The thing is most kids will try something during their life, but most people don't get enthralled enough with it to continue.
Please provide some evidence, e.g. links for this statement.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:23 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,317,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yup! See below:

Please provide some evidence, e.g. links for this statement.
I think it's pretty much common knowledge that america as a whole was more conservative 30-40 years ago than it is now. And seriously get off my case with badgering me for evidence in every freaking post i make. I'm not dismissing that people drink less today, because i know americans as a whole worldwide actually don't drink that much. Of which i posted a link to a WHO graph on the subject i might add.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:37 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,020,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I think it's pretty much common knowledge that america as a whole was more conservative 30-40 years ago than it is now. And seriously get off my case with badgering me for evidence in every freaking post i make. I'm not dismissing that people drink less today, because i know americans as a whole worldwide actually don't drink that much. Of which i posted a link to a WHO graph on the subject i might add.
30 years ago Ronald Reagan was pres and he was a flaming liberal compared to a lot of Republicans today. 40 years ago John Kennedy was president and he was no conservative. Nor was LBJ, who followed him. Even Nixon was no RWNJ (though he was a crook). Ford, Carter, all moderates. I don't think the country was more conservative then.

I am not badgering you. You did not post one link until pressed, and you have dismissed all the links that others have posted that you personally disagree with. Your link did not say anything about parental attitudes about drinking, either.

ETA: In the 1970s, a lot of states lowered their drinking ages to 18-20. By 1988, all had raised it to 21. That may account for the heavier drinking in the 70s/80s.
http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.../wagenaar.aspx

Old 03-18-2012, 01:38 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,633,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
sheena's got a very good point here:

If I dare to take it there... Ehh, why not? It's my thread

What is it, exactly, that separates giving your kid McDonald's french fries at the age of 2 or 3 from giving your teenager a sip of wine? Especially considering the obesity epidemic in this quaint little, judgemental nation of ours?
French fries don't hinder your ability to drive, or make judgements when making out in the back seat with someone or the like.
I never had a fry that would make me regret an act from the night before. lol
Oh mom, my boobs ended up on his facebook because he was serving french fries at his party. I don't remember much else after the last fry.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:44 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,027,853 times
I know lots of people who might slightly overconsume a couple of times a year at most and who might have a glass of wine with dinner 1-3 times a week. Not 4-5 beers at a time but not only on special occasions, either. I can't believe that moderate, regular drinking is that unusual.

I don't see anything wrong with letting a child see the "glass of wine with dinner" sort of drinking, and with letting them have an occasional glass with the family in their mid to late teens, provided state law permits it.

Parties with a child's peers and alcohol or any drug use is another story. Responsible parents don't allow this, IMO.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:49 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,405,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
French fries don't hinder your ability to drive, or make judgements when making out in the back seat with someone or the like.
I never had a fry that would make me regret an act from the night before. lol
Oh mom, my boobs ended up on his facebook because he was serving french fries at his party. I don't remember much else after the last fry.
I'm not talking about the immediate dangers of consuming too much alcohol vs consuming too many french fries. I'm talking about how giving your teenager alcohol is supposedly more likely to turn them into an alcoholic later in life than giving them french fries as a toddler is to doom them to obesity/overweight.

There has to be more to it. Let people bicker over their correlational data in a frenzied link war; you and I know that knowing "how" is just as important as knowing "what", perhaps even more. Everyone can agree: teen drinking has gone down, while teen obesity has gone up. So why not berate the next mom you see bringing her kid to McDonald's (no matter how rarely), especially when her kid's not even 10 yet!?

Taking your kid to McDonald's once a month or once a year = baaaaad idea. Yes yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting