Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:05 AM

170 posts, read 322,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Brings to mind the song "Woody" wrote for his girlfriend on Cheers, LOL perfect for their wedding!
Your username is like something cruel that people do. I've only noticed it with whites but apparently there are some who deliberately give their kid the same first and last name. Like Thomas Thomas. I rode a tour bus to Vegas with one guy whose cousin was called Kaye Kaye, like your handle on CD.

Last edited by Cordula; 02-10-2013 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordula View Post
Your username is like something cruel that people do. I've only noticed it with whites but apparently there are some who deliberately give their kid the same first and last name. Like Thomas Thomas. I rode a tour bus to Vegas with one guy whose cousin was called Kaye Kaye, like your handle on CD.
Yes, I knew a Russell Russell. It took him until he was around 40, but he finally started using his middle name. I forget what it was--but it was a common name.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 PM

687 posts, read 1,493,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Adele Arakawa | 9news.com

People will spell their kid's name in an unusual way and then get mad when we don't pronounce it right at the office.
We had parents who spelled names any old way they wanted and expected us to know how to pronounce them. Takei was pronounced Tie-key.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I grew up with Scotts and Jeffs and maybe one Amy, but Amy and Jennifer were names that became very popular when I was already an adult.

I find it bizarre as heck that "Isabel" is popular again--that's my mother's age group, and she is 84. As a matter of fact, she is Charlotte, and that one has made a comeback, too!

Wonder if we'll be seeing any little Helens or Bettys anytime soon...
I'm guessing Isabel is popular due to the Twilight craze.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I have encountered a lot of wierd names. In high school we had Michael Hunt; Anita bohn (Bone); Paul Ehinis (P. Ehinis). Later I met a Darhla Darling. I cannot remember others right now, but I posted them before.

I keep wondering when my grandparents names will comes back into vogue - Clyde and Alta.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:04 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
I for one am glad to see unique names. When I grew up, everyone was named David, John and Greg and all the girls were named Jennifer, Michelle, and Anne. I see those names and think "lame and conservative" I think those names can be special if they have some special connection such as naming your child after a great family member or friend but otherwise, I just don't see the appeal in name your son John or Jennifer...sorry that's my opinion. I think a lot of people limit their names to old school Anglo Saxon Biblical names because they feel like they have to in order to fit in. I noticed this is particularly true in more conservative and Evangelical areas in the country

I didn't want a name that would make June and Ward Cleaver proud.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have encountered a lot of wierd names. In high school we had Michael Hunt; Anita bohn (Bone); Paul Ehinis (P. Ehinis). Later I met a Darhla Darling. I cannot remember others right now, but I posted them before.

I keep wondering when my grandparents names will comes back into vogue - Clyde and Alta.
When I was growing up in my town full of Dutch immigrants and people of Dutch descent, it didn't always occur to me that other people weren't familiar with some of the names. I was at work one day and played a message out loud from my mother, who was letting me know that "Tuny Van Dyke" had died. My cubicle mate heard that and said, "TUNY?" I told her that his real name was Tunis--Tuny was just a nickname. She said, "TUNIS? Someone named their kid TUNIS?" I laughed, because I knew at least three people named Tunis, all old men by then. And people named Cornelius, or Aalt, or Wilhelmina, or Pietje...

I don't think those names are coming back. I do sort of like Aalt, though.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I for one am glad to see unique names. When I grew up, everyone was named David, John and Greg and all the girls were named Jennifer, Michelle, and Anne. I see those names and think "lame and conservative" I think those names can be special if they have some special connection such as naming your child after a great family member or friend but otherwise, I just don't see the appeal in name your son John or Jennifer...sorry that's my opinion. I think a lot of people limit their names to old school Anglo Saxon Biblical names because they feel like they have to in order to fit in. I noticed this is particularly true in more conservative and Evangelical areas in the country

I didn't want a name that would make June and Ward Cleaver proud.
Ward isn't a name that's used too often! Maybe that will make a comeback.

Jennifer and Michelle were unusual names when I was a kid. Especially Jennifer. I don't think I know any Jennifers in their fifties, but I do know a Michelle or two my age.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:49 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
In our town it is the last names that are wierd. Schmitycchyzh - "Smith" "Perocoyjzachhychjj" - "Perazick"

Those are just made up examples, but the names are really like that. How does the teacher ever take role?

We make a game of going through the phone book and looking for the wackiest name.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:35 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,397,939 times
How do people name their kids?

Well judging by what some people have named their kids I'd say they took massive amounts of mind altering drugs and then came up with the names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting