Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:02 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,312,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
I read the story.

From what I know incidents like this have happened more than one time in our school, except only with pee.

If heads do roll, it is only because it became a public story.

Kindergarteners being denied access to bathrooms is fairly common.

The big problem in getting resolution is that school administrators will treat a kid that age as a liar.
really? When my little sister was in the bathroom was in the kindergarten room itself, i just assumed that was a common layout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 05:04 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,485,664 times
It's easy to dismiss the unseen as a lie, however, a child covered in diarrhea will not go unnoticed. Other kids will notice and they'll tell their parents. Further, I imagine anyone here would be on a crusade of vengeance if their kid sat in their own feces like a third world prisoner.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:03 AM

741 posts, read 1,290,963 times
What a B*&%^%($*)% teacher! How Horrid! If someone did that to an elderly person or even a dog, they'd be drug through the media with no mercy!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:23 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,931,339 times
I think denying bathroom breaks has always been an issue. My daughter had problems with that in kindergarten and first grade. She had lots of urine accidents and I would have to go to the school and clean her up. I'd get there and she was sitting on a chair covered with a trash bag, pee in her shoes, looking as miserable as can be, and I'd ask what happened, and she'd say, "Mom, I said I had to go now and they said I had to wait." I learned after that to tell her teachers that she doesn't ask to go to the bathroom unless she really has to go, and they need to let her go right away.

I've told both of my kids, if you have to go to the bathroom and the teacher says no, then you go ahead and walk out of class and go to the restroom. When you're done, go to the office and tell them you walked out of class because you weren't allowed to go to the restroom. And then I will take care of the rest.

About the news article, I already think the schools get stupid when it comes to preparing the kids for standardized tests, and this is just another great example.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,948,745 times
This is an example of what is wrong with the extreme emphasis placed on standardized tests in public schools. Here we have a K student who doesn't even have to pass the test for THREE YEARS and the school is already willing to put the school's need to look good for the adults in the school ahead of the needs of this one child. Who really gains from kindergartener doing well on this standardized test? Surely not the child. The teachers gain because the school looks good. The homeowners gain because having "good" schools maintains their property values. The principal gains because everyone says "look what a great job this principal did". But the poor kid......We all need to think when it comes to these things. Was it really that important for her to take the test? REALLY?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 AM

26,044 posts, read 22,236,237 times
It isn't even so much the tests. When my son was in elementary school, he is now 35 years old, he told that the teacher would deny them going to the bathroom. I told him, like one of the other people posting, "If you have to go and she says no, go anyway and I'll deal with the school." I just cannot believe that someone would deny a child to use a bathroom because I don't think there is one living person who didn't have the time that 15 minutes ago, they didn't need to go and now they cannot wait another minute. I know what I would have did when I found my child like this!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,769,764 times
That poor child. I hope the kids at school are not unkind.

Now, the teacher ... can you imagine having to face all the parents who must hate your guts now? I hope the sting of humiliation lasts longer for that teacher than it does for that little girl.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,318,241 times
Wrapping the GARBADGE bag around the poor child to cover her tells me how much the teachers value the child....

Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 AM

I was thinking about this some more...I've had jobs before, when I was younger, where they actually wouldn't let you go to the bathroom without permission. I had a coworker who wet her pants twice because she wasn't allowed to go.

It's such a basic thing, the right to go to the bathroom when you need to. Sometimes I think teachers (or bosses, in some cases) are on a power trip and they just like making someone wait.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Wrapping the GARBADGE bag around the poor child to cover her tells me how much the teachers value the child....
That was about germs.

Whenever my daughter peed her pants in kinder (and it was at least once a month) they would cover a chair in a trash bag for her to sit on.

One time my younger daughter, who never had any toilet accidents from the day she was pottytrained, came home from kinder on the bus with wet pants. She had peed them at school and no one noticed. It took a couple of questions to figure out that the reason she wouldn't pee at school was that there was no lock on the bathroom door and the boys were coming in and looking at her while she was going, and laughing at her. Once we figured that out, her teacher would send the girls to the bathroom in pairs, one to guard the door while the other one used the bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting