Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following most closely characterizes your situation?
I am a SAHM and I regularly cook from scratch 21 30.88%
I am a SAHM and I do not regularly cook from scratch 7 10.29%
I work full-time and I cook from scratch 18 26.47%
I work full-time and I do not cook from scratch 10 14.71%
I work part-time and I regularly cook from scratch 10 14.71%
I work part-time and I do not cook from scratch 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:11 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
As a WAHM, i find that growing your own herbs as well helps the cost of scratch considerably. Am attempting to add the full kitchen garden this year, so that should help as well, if I don't tear my hair out in the process I suppose.
Why bother? As a working, contributing member of society you are not responsible for reducing your budget or maximizing your children's nutrition. It's only the SAHM who should take a break from spending their husband's hard earned money to tend the crops. At least that's what I've learned in this ludicrous thread.

I'm going to start one entitled - "Working Mothers - who is raising your children?". Since we're into insulting each other and perpetuating ridiculous stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
In my neck of the woods, the SAHMs seem to have enough money that they don't have to penny pinch. It's not unusal to order in Sushi for the family. I am not a gazillionaire, so we do cook more than order in, but my working husband does most of the cooking, because for him, it's relaxing and enjoyable. I do a whole bunch of other stuff that he never has to deal with. I have worked hard outside of the home. Now I am a SAHM. Eventually, I will go back to work. If it was so bad that I had to count every nickel than I would be at work, not home. In the meantime, if I want to eat a freaking bon bon I will.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
In the meantime, if I want to eat a freaking bon bon I will.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I'm going to start one entitled - "Working Mothers - who is raising your children?". Since we're into insulting each other and perpetuating ridiculous stereotypes.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
How about a poll regarding working moms who eat sweets when they should be working.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:33 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
In the meantime, if I want to eat a freaking bon bon I will.
But will you make the bon bons from scratch???

Old 04-23-2012, 11:34 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You know, I can't help but wonder, if the OP spent a wee bit less time laboring every little thing to save a penny here and there, then complaining about the habits of others, and instead took the family to a park and just enjoyed the day, without worrying about what others did or thought, or whether there was a financial or future academic benefit to be made from playing in the park, if she might be more happy and less stressed?

ETA - stress can cause illness also. Just like a poor diet can.
Dear maciesmom and other posters,

In the end, all you guys did was pick on my personal situation and characteristics. Unfortunately, these have zero relevance to the argument itself, never mind you don't know anything about them.

So let's sum it up, granted the topic is out of the bottle.

My original intent was to see some actual behavior based on the poll.
As I expected, the results confirmed that some SAHM-s still cook from scratch, yet a good chunk of them no longer do, and some don't cook at all. Then someone pointed out that I was making "assumptions" about what the SAHM job is supposed to be. And indeed I was.

As long as you define your SAHM status as an actual job, then yes - I will assume that it is something that has a significant and positive economic impact for the ENTIRE family, in addition to the emotional benefits, largely defined as making yourself and the kids "happy". BY thy way, kids have no clue that their long-term happiness, strongly related to health, would be much better served by home-cooked meals than by constant drives to "fun" (read "often costly") places. Since when the back yard/around the house is a terrible place to be for a child while the mother is cooking?
Wasn't the yard desired for this very purpose during the house-hunt?

Now, if you're not defining your SAHM mom status as an actual job...then of course it doesn't matter what you do with your free time. It is all yours and it's not even relevant to the discussion.

Just don't sell it to the public as a full-blown "job", maybe out of decency for those who DO work actual jobs, with plates overflowing with responsibilities of all sorts - and that includes the SAHMS who do a whole lot more than "entertaining" the kids and making them "happy".

Now, I can see how this arrangement might make this type of "job" holder "happy". I just don't see how it is fair to the partner who must subsidize this kind of clearly one-sided "happiness" and how it is financially healthy for the family in the long run. That was the gist of my argument.

We are talking here about families who have mortgages and all sorts of other debts and who would surely not turn their nose up to the kind of long-term returns from the contributions of a frugal, economically productive stay-at-home spouse.
We are not talking about RICH families who can easily live off of investment income and nothing else.

I argued that this pseudo-SAHM, who DOESN'T bring any sort of income in, neither does she make any particular effort in saving some of the income the partner brings in (include same-sex partnerships here if you wish)...are engaging largely in consumption and use "raising children" as an excuse for a full-time job. I stand by my argument.

Raising children has always involved dozens of other things in addition to "entertaining" children and making them "happy" (very fuzzy, by the way).
If your child tells you it makes him "happy" to go to on the merry-go-round and lick lollipops there every day, is this how you are going to define "raising children"? Whatever makes them "happy"?

You would think you might want to include in the job description other aspects related to children's long-term well-being, including feeding them well, teaching them about household organization by modeling behavior, engaging them in household chores, teaching all sorts of life skills (and that includes cooking from scratch!). Also, did I ever leave the impression I was only talking about mothers of infants? What about those mothers with kids in school 8-3?

Instead it appears to me that what such moms ultimately teach the kids is the art of CONSUMPTION.

Happiness = fun = consumption and it should be perfectly OK to call this "a job".

The fact that so many people have come to accept such amazing BS (especially middle-class working men), all while middle class families get deeper and deeper into debt, childhood obesity rates are through the roof and cancer is all over the place...THIS is quite telling in and of itself.

When you guys ran out of any decent argument, you fired back with "but you don't know what else those mothers may be doing in the house!!".

In fact, I know very well what they are doing. They do what they said and clearly look like they do: entertain the kids when they have them around and feed them store-bought stuff.
Because if they did DO something else that is economically helpful, IN ADDITION TO the "happy" thing, then they would simply no longer qualify under the category I am discussing.

Mothers who trade stocks or sell on E-bay don't qualify under the category I mentioned. If they do that, they contribute economically. They work for pay. Just like mothers who cook from scratch, or clean the house or any other activity that would otherwise need to be financed. These moms may not work directly for pay (they are not offense players) but they save on all sorts of life costs (they are great defense players).

Here I am discussing exclusively the mothers who do very little that is economically productive (apart from saving on baby-sitting fees), whose activities with the kids during the day involve mainly consumption, and who want to get away with calling this "a job".

In the end, no surprise marriage rates are going down, singlehood is on the rise and young women are increasingly puzzled as to why guys shy away from commitment.

Could it be that some of this fear of commitment might have to do with the prospect of working until grave so he can keep a mother both "at home" as well as "happy" - "happy" being defined as "I should do whatever I please with my time"?
It would also be nice to hear some male voices. I received some "amens" in private, not surprisingly from guys.

I do understand some people hate to hear this argument. But that's life. Sometimes we hear things we don't want to hear. Sigh.

Then we shrug it off and move on with our thing.

Thanks again to those who picked an option.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
In my neck of the woods, the SAHMs seem to have enough money that they don't have to penny pinch.
"SEEMS" is the key word. Heard of high-income, low net worth families?

They are IT. Many of these families would not survive a few months at their current level of consumption if the main income earner lost the income source.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Im going to reply to this, since I voted then read 11 pages of comments. Disclaimer I am in now way saying this is for everyone and I am disparaging noone.

I always joke that I am the "50s housewife" that everyone talks about. I am a SAHM with a 4 year old. My schedule generally looks like, rising at 5 am with husband to make his lunch (and breakfast sometimes) feeding my son around 8 when he gets up. Cleaning my house for a few hours. Then serving lunch for me and the little one. Usually sandwiches or salad, sometimes a way homemade meal, made from the ingredients also being used for dinner. Then I spend a while doing the dinner prep, cutting, peeling, chopping, and other varies tasks. Then I sit and relax for a while wilst the kid run amock around the house. Then hubby gets home around 5 and we eat between 5 and 6. There are many instances where I mix, knead and bake my own bread. I also babysit a little boy 5 days a week and a little girl 2 days a week. My husband works full time to support us and coaches my sons t-ball team. We play games twice a week where I am also the team mom and I do all the organization for the team. In a few weeks I am starting a biology class night, 4 days a week at 530. I will have to adjust my schedule back about an hour in the afternoon to get everything done. But this is what I chose. It is neither right nor wrong. But it is right for us.
Nice example. You're busy, you're helping your family, you're doing a whole lot more than just consume...this is what I thought SAHM-s did.

By no means do I want to imply that such extreme examples are rampant (below)...but it is enough that there are enough of them around.

Just yesterday I talked to an acquaintance who regularly baby-sits someone's little girl. The mother in question DOES NOT work outside the home but she has the baby-sitter over for the entire day, several times a week. When lunch times comes, the baby-sitter goes with the child either to Chick-Fil-A or to Panera Bread, as instructed by the said "SAHM".
The family is apparently well-off but nowhere close to "rich" (as in "everyone could live well off of investment income"). The husband obviously works.

Is it "my business" that this particular family choose to live this way?
Not even a bit.

Is it anybody's right to critique this type of mindset?
100%.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Why bother? As a working, contributing member of society you are not responsible for reducing your budget or maximizing your children's nutrition. It's only the SAHM who should take a break from spending their husband's hard earned money to tend the crops. At least that's what I've learned in this ludicrous thread.
i'm not here to insult others.

My biggest concern is my family's health and giving HUGE F.U. to the Commercial Agri-business. That's what I do when I buy from my local organic farmers/grow my own and cook from scratch.

That to me is more important than what others are doing with their time.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting