Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
It sounds like an opportunity to teach the children to share! Maybe she couldn't afford two. My grandma wasn't rich so my brother and I had to share our train set and other things that built a bond between us. If it is an issue for you buy one for the other child.
True, but then it shouldn't have been given to one, but both.

Yes, I'd be miffed. The world can be unfair in ways parents have no control over. Why would a grandparent contribute to that?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
I'd be sitting MIL down and we'd be having us a "chat".

Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,333,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
It sounds like an opportunity to teach the children to share! Maybe she couldn't afford two. My grandma wasn't rich so my brother and I had to share our train set and other things that built a bond between us. If it is an issue for you buy one for the other child.
If she couldn't afford two, then she should have given it to both or not bought it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Does she do things like that often? I would be miffed that my parents/in laws bought one child an expensive gift for no reason and did not buy something for the other kids. Now there are times when the grandparents will see something that they think one of the kids will like and buy it without buying for the others, but usually those items are small, novelty things not big ticket items.
Not often, but it has happened in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
True, but then it shouldn't have been given to one, but both.

Yes, I'd be miffed. The world can be unfair in ways parents have no control over. Why would a grandparent contribute to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm thinking of doing just that.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm thinking of doing just that.
I really think you should. If you don't she's going to be doing this for YEARS to come and it will do nothing but cause a world of hurt.

(You know though, that you have to be "nice". Otherwise..... Try and figure out a way to put a spin on it so that she doesn't get defensive.)

Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,296,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Tell us more dew

Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
ODS got a DS for Christmas last year but YDS got a touch screen tablet toy too. She didn't say that, but that's the only thing I can think of.
It is odd, but I don't know the whole story.

I know you just want validation for your annoyance, and not rationalizations. I have a lot of experience, unfortunately, with very dramatic MILs on both ends of the spectrum. I usually have to go through a whole mental protocol to understand why each one operates the way she does.

It never matches up with what I would have done, either.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, as gently as possible, and suggest that you NOT sit your MIL down. I'm not saying I would even be able to do this, but what if you were just thankful for the gift and moved on? Modeled gratitude etc. I mean, if you're keeping score, you'll always be worried about where you stand.

From what you've said, each kid now has his own DS. You could say that the "problem" is that your expectations - about how, from whom, and when - were not met. Maybe ... ?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,296,866 times
I think you should sit her down and gently explain that you don't want her to buy gifts for one and not the other. You appreciate the gifts, but in the future if she buys pricey ones then give them to both of the boys not just one.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:41 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,876,210 times
I would let MIL know that the boys will be SHARING that gift.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,614,896 times
It depends for me, if she drops random gifts off for one or the other at different times then it wouldn't bother me. Although if she did that I don't think you would be upset right now.
It's a mystery, some people have things going on in that head of theirs that your not fully aware of.
Maybe the younger one expressed a fairness issue about the ds. Who knows. If it bothers the older one, have him ask her.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:01 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,388,454 times
I don't think I would be miffed exactly, but I might be curious as to why she bought an expensive gift at an odd time. Did she buy it brand new, or did she maybe find at as a second hand store or something like that? I can picture my mom finding something really cool for a good price and buying it then not being able to contain herself until a birthday or Christmas arrived. She probably would have thought to get something small for my other child, but I certainly wouldn't tell her she *has* to. I would use the situation as one of those teachable moments that no one is entitled to receive a gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting