Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
So I knew we would have to do a lot of repairs when we got here but I would think the bathroom would be priority....three days no shower....and it's still not a top priority to anyone but me.....
You can do this Txt. I know you didn't expect it to be easy. Cold showers suck, but it's a small price to pay for independence. Keep moving forward.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:40 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You can do this Txt. I know you didn't expect it to be easy. Cold showers suck, but it's a small price to pay for independence. Keep moving forward.
There's hot water we need to put in the shower head we brought, fix the leak and then clean it up.
It also needs a new tub surround.

All this can be done in a day.

Hell, I can do it all by myself but I'm working on getting nearly 100 years of ugly wall paper off the bedroom walls.

All it NEEDS is to be cleaned and the new shower head but I rather get that tub surround in ASAP to prevent water damage.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Guessing you're dealing with plaster not sheet rock? Be extra careful and do some googling about removing wallpaper from plaster surfaces. And old wallpaper is a b***** to remove in any case. It's not like today's "strippable" wallpaper. You will most likely need to steam it off little by little.

Also, if there is water damage behind the tile, that will need addressing before just sticking a tub surround over the problem. Especially in a humid climate. If you have mold that's a whole nother issue to deal with.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Did you not see the house before you moved in?

I looked at probably 50 apartments before I chose the one I am living in. Bathroom was the biggest thing on my list after closet space. One time a cockroach crawled up my drain in my old apartment.
I grew up coming to this house. It's my grandmothers old house.
Last time I was here I was 21 and briefly saw the house.

For the bathroom, new tub surround or tile, replace shower head and clean to be functional.

The bedroom, that's the hard part, we need to get (so far 10 layers of wall paper) off, dry wall it and then paint...

We were on the road for two of those days and last night we were too tired to shower but tonight if we want to we can go to my grandmothers house to shower and sleep.
Who knows I may see if we can just pick up the tub surround tonight and me do the bathroom.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Guessing you're dealing with plaster not sheet rock? Be extra careful and do some googling about removing wallpaper from plaster surfaces. And old wallpaper is a b***** to remove in any case. You will most likely need to steam it off little by little.
Yeah we have cleaning vinegar and scrapers...
It's cheap.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:04 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,521 times
Txt - helpful hints to make wallpaper removal easier:

5 Things that I Learned About Removing Wallpaper from Plaster Walls - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 03-20-2013, 05:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I grew up coming to this house. It's my grandmothers old house.
Last time I was here I was 21 and briefly saw the house.

For the bathroom, new tub surround or tile, replace shower head and clean to be functional.

The bedroom, that's the hard part, we need to get (so far 10 layers of wall paper) off, dry wall it and then paint...

We were on the road for two of those days and last night we were too tired to shower but tonight if we want to we can go to my grandmothers house to shower and sleep.
Who knows I may see if we can just pick up the tub surround tonight and me do the bathroom.
Or, you can do what many other people do and kind of sponge bath it.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The shower is easy and I'm about to just go do it myself because he is pissing me off.
He says he doesn't even want to shower or sleep until its done and I want some semi normalcy while we work, showering and sleeping on our matress in the living room.

I'm way past just sponge bathing it...
I don't care about make up right now, drying or straightening my hair.
I would like to just thoroughly wash myself and my hair and get into a clean bed at night.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
It is easier to live with ugly wallpaper than without a shower. Prioritize.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It is easier to live with ugly wallpaper than without a shower. Prioritize.
It wasn't just ugly there was some water damage and it was coming off, we already have the room set up and have already gotten to the bottom layer in some spots.

I want to move my grandmothers old bed somewhere for our friend and bring our bed into the living room from the truck, so we have somewhere to sleep and our friend has somewhere to sleep and cleaning out the shower and put in the shower head we brought with us. That would make me happy. A bed and a shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting