Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:05 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if there are other parents out there who are experiencing high school teachers sending papers home with their students for parents to grade and send back?

So far this has happened several times with three different teachers with our son who is a sophomore in high school in Oregon. Personally I find this a little strange, but perhaps it's a new "norm"?

Also, for many years now, beginning in middle school, I've noticed papers coming home which obviously have not been graded, yet grades were listed for the assignment in the online grade book that teachers use in our kids schools. Very odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Did the teacher notify the parents about this? Is it some kind of experiment, or are they trying to send a message to parents?

Is it long term or a short-term thing?

What reason are the teachers giving for this?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:24 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Me grading my HS kid work? No, I would sent it back to the teacher telling him/her If you want me to grade this you need to send me the answer key.

Grades online not on paper, Yes, seen that teacher grade writting type assigments, directly into there online grade book, also tests that have gone thru the scan-tron, or the 'Clicker' system, entered directly online with nothing on the paper.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:42 AM

We weren't given any heads up or notification at all about this any time it's ever happened. Our son simply brought the work home with instructions from the teacher that he needed a parent or guardian to correct the work, and he was to turn in the corrected work to the teacher. I literally had to use a red pen and everything! lol

The first time it happened, at the beginning of the school year, I thought it was my son needing help. He didn't explain the directions to me very well, he simply said "Mom, can you grade this paper for me." I took that to mean he wanted my help editing a paper he was working on for school. So, I said, "Sure let's sit down and do it together..." and he was like, "No, I mean, the teacher needs you to grade this paper. And she says you need to use red pen."

It's happened now with other teachers and other classes. But this is the first year that I've ever experienced anything like this.

I totally don't mind helping edit my kids paper, and I also have frequently gone in to help teachers grade papers, but this seems abnormal to me. I was just wondering if other parents had experienced this?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 AM

Oh, and I should explain, too, that the first two times this happened I emailed the teachers to see what the deal was, and they both explained in different ways that basically if I was too busy to grade the papers that come home for us to grade, that I can write a note explaining this and they would find a different solution. ??

Old 05-22-2012, 10:48 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
I'm going to agree it's weird. Especially in high school. What classes are these? I can't imagine a class my son took in high school which I would be qualified to grade his papers.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'm going to agree it's weird. Especially in high school. What classes are these? I can't imagine a class my son took in high school which I would be qualified to grade his papers.
Thankfully for me until yesterday it's always been an English class assignment. If it had been a Chemistry or Math class assignment I would have written a note! lol

Yesterday we had to grade a paper which was an assignment from this strange elective "Tech Class" that he was placed in this term. All the students must take this class, evidently, as it is also some kind of job readiness class that is a mandatory credit for graduation. He had to do what they called a "job shadow" where he chose someone from the community who is employed doing a job that he is interested in (my son chose a person who does technical support for the school district) and then he had to write a research paper about the job and his experience doing the job shadow.

This one was actually a bit of a challenge to grade because the teacher had them format the paper in a way which I have never done before. There were all these indents and odd paragraphs and highlights and the sources weren't documented the way I was taught to do when I was in school. So I wasn't even sure I was grading it correctly.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:07 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Me grading my HS kid work? No, I would sent it back to the teacher telling him/her If you want me to grade this you need to send me the answer key.

Grades online not on paper, Yes, seen that teacher grade writting type assigments, directly into there online grade book, also tests that have gone thru the scan-tron, or the 'Clicker' system, entered directly online with nothing on the paper.
I'd send it back and ask for a portion of her pay if she wanted me to do her work

Old 05-22-2012, 11:12 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Thankfully for me until yesterday it's always been an English class assignment. If it had been a Chemistry or Math class assignment I would have written a note! lol

Yesterday we had to grade a paper which was an assignment from this strange elective "Tech Class" that he was placed in this term. All the students must take this class, evidently, as it is also some kind of job readiness class that is a mandatory credit for graduation. He had to do what they called a "job shadow" where he chose someone from the community who is employed doing a job that he is interested in (my son chose a person who does technical support for the school district) and then he had to write a research paper about the job and his experience doing the job shadow.

This one was actually a bit of a challenge to grade because the teacher had them format the paper in a way which I have never done before. There were all these indents and odd paragraphs and highlights and the sources weren't documented the way I was taught to do when I was in school. So I wasn't even sure I was grading it correctly.
Okay - that's bizarre. How do you even know what you are grading/looking for? And if the teacher goes as far as to give you a rubric to grade from, then it's even worse! There needs to be an answer to the "why are you asking me to do this?". Seriously, just give your child a 100% on all these papers sent home and see what happens.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:27 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
You would think they would send a note or email explaining such an unorthodox policy, but since they didn't even take the time to let parents know what they needed to do and WHY, AND that grading papers is part of the teacher's job, I would either do like suggested above, give my kid all A's, or send a note letting the teacher know I am not grading a single thing until I know how it benefits my child for me to do her job for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting