Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you want your daughter to pose nude for a "college's best looking" feature in a men'
Yes, that would be an accomplishment 1 2.33%
My family would have to discuss it collectively 1 2.33%
My daughter would have to make the decision 16 37.21%
No, that would be immodest and inappropriate 22 51.16%
Other - discuss 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:08 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

I would not say a word. She knows our values. And our goals for her. She would make her own choice. But...she has high self esteem, she does not need money, and...she has other goals in her life.

Last edited by jasper12; 05-28-2012 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:28 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Of course it is her decision (Everyone knows that). I don't think you should've put that option in the poll, because it gives parents an easy way out of actually answering the question. It's kinda like asking the general question "Good, bad, or let's all just get along?" Naturally, people are going to pick the most agreeable answer
I don't think you really can do much after they are 18. If you are too conservative or reactionary your daughter won't even tell you beforehand most likely thus making your opinion on the subject moot. I think most parents would discuss the cons of it down the road though.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:02 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I don't think you really can do much after they are 18. If you are too conservative or reactionary your daughter won't even tell you beforehand most likely thus making your opinion on the subject moot. I think most parents would discuss the cons of it down the road though.
Indeed. But if your only opinion on it is "It's up to her", that means you don't perceive any cons of it worth mentioning. When asked, "Would you want your daughter to pose nude?", I can't bring myself to evade the question by saying "Well, it's her decision". Now if we were asked, "What would you do/say", I can see "She's a grown woman. She'll have to decide for herself" being (part of) the rational answer.

No offense, of course.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:26 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times
I honestly don't understand why it upsets people. I'm a guy and have done work as a nude model. If Playgirl offered me a check to be in their college guys issue, I'd take it in a heartbeat. It's a really illogical thing to care about. People would look at me and fantasize about me whether or not I was in a nude magazine, a smart person would hopefully make some money off that.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I honestly don't understand why it upsets people. I'm a guy and have done work as a nude model. If Playgirl offered me a check to be in their college guys issue, I'd take it in a heartbeat. It's a really illogical thing to care about. People would look at me and fantasize about me whether or not I was in a nude magazine, a smart person would hopefully make some money off that.
It's a matter of lust and what one is/isn't doing to cultivate it. You may be right that some people would fantasize about you either way, but not quite so many, yes? To the extent that lust is bad (which is a whole other subject in which people can't even agree on how to define the term "lust" much less what to think of it), doing something that might contribute to it in a single person or in society is bad.

Of course, I will freely admit that most parents are not concerned for the minds of the viewers or society in general so much as they are simply hypocrits. They believe it's fine for someone else's daughter to show up nude in a public forum but not their own.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:55 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Indeed. But if your only opinion on it is "It's up to her", that means you don't perceive any cons of it worth mentioning. When asked, "Would you want your daughter to pose nude?", I can't bring myself to evade the question by saying "Well, it's her decision". Now if we were asked, "What would you do/say", I can see "She's a grown woman. She'll have to decide for herself" being (part of) the rational answer.

No offense, of course.
I would care less if she posed nude but i would inform her that it might have repercussions for jobs later on.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:00 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I would stop her if I could but legally I couldn't. I wouldn't support her either. I'm a parent, it's my job to NOT support stuff like that. The chips would fall somewhere, but it wouldn't be the same.
Not a parent but this is my thought exactly.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:48 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I wouldn't want my sons to pose nude for a magazine. And I believe my reasons are quite logical:

In this day and age, with so much free "stuff" out there on the internet, you would have to already be a celebrity to make any real money from posing in a publication. And I would imagine that any resulting opportunities for fame/fortune/success would be very, very limited.

On the other hand, the odds of an old photo coming back to bite you down the road are probably much greater. So just something to think about...

Old 05-28-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I wouldn't want my sons to pose nude for a magazine. And I believe my reasons are quite logical:

In this day and age, with so much free "stuff" out there on the internet, you would have to already be a celebrity to make any real money from posing in a publication. And I would imagine that any resulting opportunities for fame/fortune/success would be very, very limited.

On the other hand, the odds of an old photo coming back to bite you down the road are probably much greater. So just something to think about...
Sounds perfectly logical to me

Old 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
I'd have no problem with it, but as a society in the US, people are all uptight about nudity anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting