Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 12:02 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,970,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Doesn't anyone you know have enough brains to call a cab?

Don't they know anyone else beside you?

Have you never been in a business meeting?

Believe it or not, we all managed these situations without incident when a person was not available for two hours, back in the tincan string age.

Also, if you turn on your phone (even vibrate) when I'm doing a recording session, anywhere near my control room, and I'll axe murder you.

There are situations where your phone nanny is not welcome.

If you can't turn it off for two hours, stay home. Or, if you are truly expected to respond in possible emergencies, then go outside every so often and check it. But sit near an exit, for Pete's sake.
Hmm, cabs cost money as well, what would you rather do call your girlfriend who would axe murder you for NOT calling her if you were hurt or call a cab and have you girlfriend axe murder you for spending money on a damn cab when she could swing by the house for free?

Who knows?
All I am saying is I have people in my life who I care about and if ANYTHING were to happen to them, I don't give a damn about a movie or the people in the theater, I would want to know right away. Which is why I don't TEXT in theaters but I do check to see what was sent and if it is of any importance, because I don't want to get a text an hour into the movie and then an hour later find out something awful had happened. So I READ the messages that come in but unless I am sitting in the top top row I won't reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
You really don't see why it is rude to disturb those around you for your own convenience? If you truly think the world will fall apart without you, either stay home or get your lazy butt up and walk out to the lobby. If you want to be distracted during a movie, keep that distraction to yourself...don't inflict it on everyone near you.
Dude, its takes TWO seconds to check to see what the message sent to you says then you can lock the screen again and the screen goes back to being black.

It is MORE distracting to get up and go out to the lobby each and every time.

Plus, I guess you guys don't care about your families or anything because I would want to know right away if something bad happened so I check my phone, like I said, if its a "hey whats up?" then I put my phone back away, if its something of importance I evaluate if I am really needed and go if I am.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:08 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Who knows?
All I am saying is I have people in my life who I care about and if ANYTHING were to happen to them, I don't give a damn about a movie or the people in the theater, I would want to know right away.
Everyone has people in their lives who they care about. If one is so anxious that an emergency will occur when one is unavailable and is unwilling to inconvenience oneself to walk to the lobby to relieve that anxiety, I would suggest renting movies at home. And perhaps a therapist.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Everyone has people in their lives who they care about. If one is so anxious that an emergency will occur when one is unavailable and is unwilling to inconvenience oneself to walk to the lobby to relieve that anxiety, I would suggest renting movies at home. And perhaps a therapist.
I'm not saying that.
I am saying **** happens and its nice to know why you were texted and if someone needs you.

If you went to the movies with your SO and the babysitter was new or whatever, wouldn't you check your phone everytime you got a text?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:12 PM

13,413 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Hmm, cabs cost money as well, what would you rather do call your girlfriend who would axe murder you for NOT calling her if you were hurt or call a cab and have you girlfriend axe murder you for spending money on a damn cab when she could swing by the house for free?

Who knows?
All I am saying is I have people in my life who I care about and if ANYTHING were to happen to them, I don't give a damn about a movie or the people in the theater, I would want to know right away. Which is why I don't TEXT in theaters but I do check to see what was sent and if it is of any importance, because I don't want to get a text an hour into the movie and then an hour later find out something awful had happened. So I READ the messages that come in but unless I am sitting in the top top row I won't reply.

Then DON'T GO TO A MOVIE. For those of us with kids, movies are extremely expensive, take a lot of setting up to get to and we don't want you in there checking your stupid phone.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:12 PM

And honestly when I go to the movies, I am watching the movie, I don't notice the people around me.
I can't remember one time where I noticed someone texting, so if you're noticing everything else everyone else is doing then maybe people should stop being such busy bodies and just watch the movie instead of everyone else in the theater.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Then DON'T GO TO A MOVIE. For those of us with kids, movies are extremely expensive, take a lot of setting up to get to and we don't want you in there checking your stupid phone.
Pay better attention to the movie, what are you doing looking around at what everyone else is doing?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,747 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that.
I am saying **** happens and its nice to know why you were texted and if someone needs you.

If you went to the movies with your SO and the babysitter was new or whatever, wouldn't you check your phone everytime you got a text?
Yes, things do happen, but then it becomes a likelihood estimation issue. "Bad things" could happen to anyone at any time, but it doesn't make it likely. If I can't tolerate two hours away from my phone, I probably shouldn't be in a venue that requires me to turn it off. ETA: Contrary to some people's opinions, it is very distracting for people nearby or in your line of sight to be messing around with their phones.

Honestly, if there was a new babysitter, I wouldn't be at the movies, knowing I would want to check my phone for my own peace of mind, because it would be a waste of money for me and rude to those around me. Then again, any sitter I'm leaving my children with would have been vetted enough that I know how he/she would respond to various potential emergency situations.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:21 PM

13,413 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Pay better attention to the movie, what are you doing looking around at what everyone else is doing?
We have KIDS. We have eyes in the back of our heads.

Next.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:32 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,071 times
Quote:
Dude, its takes TWO seconds to check to see what the message sent to you says then you can lock the screen again and the screen goes back to being black.

It is MORE distracting to get up and go out to the lobby each and every time.

Plus, I guess you guys don't care about your families or anything because I would want to know right away if something bad happened so I check my phone, like I said, if its a "hey whats up?" then I put my phone back away, if its something of importance I evaluate if I am really needed and go if I am.
Sit on the aisle. Get up. Go to the lobby.

The only reason you don't do this is that it would be annoying and you'd miss parts of the movie, right? It sure would be irritating to have your movie-going experience interrupted, wouldn't it.

How are you ever going to survive in a job where you can't check your phone at all times? I had these things called meetings with employers, and they'd be rather peeved if I couldn't manage to sit for an hour or two and pay attention.

In fact, at my job having a cell on the floor was a legal issue. We dealt with credit card numbers and cells could be used to take pictures of those numbers. Anyone caught with a cell on the floor would be sent home the first time and fired the second. And we did fire people for it. Somehow everyone lived through the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting