Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 05:14 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times

Advertisements

10 minutes!!! OMG I would have called 911.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 05:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Oh...he had a reaction all right!..
Thank you for your diagnosis doctor. What part of the examination was this based on?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:05 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
You're welcome....my answer...like yours, and everyone elses..is based on what I believe to be true....you obviously don't like it...that's ok...your perogative....is there some reason that this answer (which could well be right) bothers you so much?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Yes. You made a declaration based on nothing and presented it as fact. I have a problem with that. Go figure.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:19 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdeanne View Post
so I use a little trick they taught in infant swim lessons where I blow in his face and some how his reaction kicks in and he gets some air. Then crying goes back to normal and he just want's hugs.
Brilliant advice. Thanks for that suggestion.

Quote:
10 minutes!!! OMG I would have called 911.
That's the part that pushed me to start a thread (I did not call 911).. Once you call 911, you're "all-in." But for me in this situation, I certainly thought to call 911. But there's a threshold between calling 911 and just letting him calm down. The "line" between the 2 was SO thin.

Although the entire episode was 10 minutes from gagging to quietly taking his bottle and falling back asleep, the truly scary moment was the 10 seconds or so that he fought to catch his breath. For sure it was the worst 10 seconds of my life.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:35 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Did you end up talking to your pediatrician about it or not?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Did you end up talking to your pediatrician about it or not?
I know I did not end up taking the majority advice here, but we did not take him the Ped to discuss further. We landed on the idea that if he has a repeat performance, for sure we will. But it appears the "trauma" was a one-time ordeal and is now simply over.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:23 AM

400 posts, read 566,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I know I did not end up taking the majority advice here, but we did not take him the Ped to discuss further. We landed on the idea that if he has a repeat performance, for sure we will. But it appears the "trauma" was a one-time ordeal and is now simply over.
You are the parents and it's ultimately your call. I think I would do the same thing after the adrenaline wore off. Somehow I missed the part about the vaccinations when making my first post. It sounds like this could be a reaction like others have said. In which case, it is most likely over now, but it is something I would let the doctor know about BEFORE getting him another round of vaccines.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdeanne View Post
You are the parents and it's ultimately your call. I think I would do the same thing after the adrenaline wore off. Somehow I missed the part about the vaccinations when making my first post. It sounds like this could be a reaction like others have said. In which case, it is most likely over now, but it is something I would let the doctor know about BEFORE getting him another round of vaccines.
My wife and I are not exactly anti-vaccine, but we have always been cautious with how many we give at once. We usually have a one vaccine per visit rule that my wife "violated" last week when she let the Ped give him 4 vaccines on one visit. She immediately regretted letting them pump him full of so many at once. There's obviously no proof that the vaccines had anything to do with his reaction, but it's always suspect when anything happens in such close proximity to giving a large dose of multiple vaccines at once.

For what it's worth, my son had a repeat performance last night, sans the choking part. My wife and i were both home when he got really worked up while changing his diaper. We were literally tag-teaming to speed up the diaper change because he was so unglued. He had just slept a 5 hour stretch and was starving, but he had a dirty diaper, so feeding him before changing him wasn't a good option, as he has a slight diaper rash right now (he doesn't exactly have the "strongest dispostion" of all my kids). But the key difference this time, was even though he got into that "purple crying" zone for a minute or so, it did not result in gagging and choking. And he soothed quickly once my wife picked him up and began to nurse him. I think this is just another example that what happened last week was a one-time deal.

Now we just need to find techniques to calm him quicker when does become so unglued. We probably need to focus on ways I, as his dad, can soothe him, since obviously I'm lacking the best tool in the toolbox (nursing him). All kids are different, and him becoming terribly upset is just something that we're having to figure out how to adapt to, in order to keep him more comfortable and happy.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:15 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Seek advise from medical professionals, not strangers on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting