Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

End of school year mean lots of awards in elementary classes and it is always fun to see how our teacher try to include every student and find something positive for everyone. this teacher should be severely reprimanded if not fired. how can a person without a clue about how humiliated this child would feel be allowed to continue? I don't think it was a joke at all. I think she meant to hurt her feelings and single her out to her peers.

8-Year-Old Gets 'Catastrophe Award' for Most Homework Excuses | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:06 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
If you earned it, accept it.

Sometimes social pressure can be a good thing. Especially when parents are always making excuses for their children.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:07 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
Honestly? After reading the article seems as the daughter learned about excuses from her mother.

Maybe now she will make sure she has her homework done and Mom will make sure it's complete.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
End of school year mean lots of awards in elementary classes and it is always fun to see how our teacher try to include every student and find something positive for everyone. this teacher should be severely reprimanded if not fired. how can a person without a clue about how humiliated this child would feel be allowed to continue? I don't think it was a joke at all. I think she meant to hurt her feelings and single her out to her peers.

8-Year-Old Gets 'Catastrophe Award' for Most Homework Excuses | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!
Yeah, that's extremely dumb. Especially for an 8-year old, these things can not only hinder and discourage but become part of a child's self-concept. No award would've sufficed. If I had been given an "award" such as this, I probably wouldn't have given a damn about school for a while afterward (and considering the school's lack of appropriate guidance and encouragement, I might've essentially quit!)

This goes beyond the purpose of teaching and motivating into ridicule for your own personal pleasure. I don't think she should be fired, but this teacher should get an "award" posted on her classroom door which reads "Least competent teacher of the year"

Old 05-29-2012, 09:20 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
I agree there were probably better ways to handle it. Doesn't the teacher realize the joke is sort of on her? I guess celebrating a "fail" at the end of the year is seen as good humor to some.

I would question why the parent and teacher didn't actually get together to correct this problem, they obviously had plenty of chances.

She's 8, there's plenty of time left to teach her good study habits, something that would be priceless in her later years of school. I certainly would be looking for other school options, one that actually teaches something more than humiliation might be a good choice.

Sarcasm has been used as a tool for correcting child behavior for a long time without many good results, I don't know why we still use it. I agree, I think the teacher was just being a butt.

I must say I'm surprised at the peoples comments at the end of that article. Not one person questioned why nobody tried to turn this child's behavior around before the end of the year so she could learn what it's like to work hard and actually reap a real award. I mean she's only 8. A little young to be giving up on her already, labeling her and moving on. I find it strange.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:21 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
It depends on how my child took the joke and on the teacher's personality and relationshipthe teacher had with her students. I definitely don't think the teacher should be fired over this. It's obviously a joke, possibly done in poor taste but maybe not. Firing the teacher would be an extreme overreaction.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:32 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,403 times
The parent should flog themself and start doing what they're supposed to do but that won't happen. Instead the parent is going to make their own excuses and blame the teachers and school system when their kid fails in school.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:41 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
The parent should flog themself and start doing what they're supposed to do but that won't happen. Instead the parent is going to make their own excuses and blame the teachers and school system when their kid fails in school.
Let's look into the story itself and not just the article based on it.

"8-year-old Cassandra Garcia proudly showed us all her completed homework in her labeled folder. So it confused her mother, Christina Valdez, when her daughter came home with this end of the year award."

Teacher gives 3rd grader a Catastrophe Award in front of class - KGUN9.com

Hey, maybe the mother's lying about being confused and thinking her daughter was doing fine. But do we have any evidence of that?

I say, admonish people for what you know they've done; hold off on criticizing failures you're not even sure exist. Teacher's still to blame, sorry. Like PoppySead pointed out, it's the teacher's responsibility to let the parent know what's going on so an actual solution can be found.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,403 times
My teachers used public humiliation as a form of classroom management and no one died. My fifth grade teacher made you sit in a kindergarten sized chair wearing a dunce cap he whipped up on the spot from construction paper. Made you sit facing the class until you bawled. If you were a tough one he made you eat lunch in class everyday. I used to have a disorganized notebook and would lose my h.w. He got me one good time and I learned my lesson. I didn't even tell my mother because she would have told me I deserved it.

That was in the 80s now a teacher like him would be fired. So what she was humiliated. It won't be the first or last time if she lives long enough. No wonder some young people get into the real world and lack coping skills. Heaven forbid your kid act like an a@@ and the teacher hurts their feelings. Wonder if the boss will worry about her tender feelings when she gives him late work in the future since she is being taught young that a crappy work ethic and excuses are appropriate?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:04 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
If you shame someone for doing something shameful, it's now a crime in this society.

That's why everyone is so damn shameless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting