Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I am a pediatric ICU nurse, and we have a trampoline. Are they dangerous? Yes, they can be. I am quite strict about it, and 5 years in we have not had any major injuries. I am honestly more concerned about religious use of seat belts in the car, helmets when riding bikes, and swimming proficiency.

Also worth mentioning, by far the majority of homes around here do have trampolines. I think that varies a lot by vicinity.
I too have a background in pediatric nursing, and we had a tramp when the kids were younger. We did have it enclosed with a net. My kids and some of their friends who used it were trained gymnasts, so they were a little more skilled than the average kid. Still, net, one person at a time, none of this wetting the tramp with a hose, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 03:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0;25104294.

I know it's possible for a parent to overestimate just how disciplined and responsible their child is, so readiness for a trampoline isn't a perfectly clear thing to determine. But the same could be said for children on bikes. Which reminds me of one final point: For your kid to go bike riding, you either have to go with them everywhere or just trust that they're following all the safety guidelines. Since the trampoline is right in your back yard, you can supervise (and stop supervising) any time you want. And as an added bonus, your kid's friends won't think it "uncool" for you to watch them jump (They might even think it's especially "cool", depending on your demeanor).
I completely agree.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
That's funny, I've written for KidsHealth before as the hospital I worked at ran the SafeKids arm for the mountain state region and was the authority on child safety. Yes, those are primarily pediatric injures, 18 years and younger; in the past, only about 5K of those injuries have been attributed to adults.

The biggest difference between bikes and trampolines is that A LOT more kids, and people on general, are riding bikes than are jumping on trampolines. The second biggest difference, is that trampoline injuries are caused by the jumping action itself, either another jumper landing on you or you falling off. Bikes are a completely different story as, yes, you can lose you balance and fall off your bike, or hit something from your own action, but cars hitting kids/people on bikes offer a whole different avenue of accidents and injuries. When you look at it that way, the incident of trampoline injuries as compared to bike-related injuries, is much higher when you factor in how many people are on bikes vs. trampolines.

When it comes to kids on bikes, the docs were all about 1) helmets and 2) follow the rules of the road 3)have fun.

Not according to pretty much all the sources on the internet. The biggest cause of trampoline injuruies by far is kids hitting each other. Next is falling off. Next is hitting some part of the trampoline. Thus with rules (enforced), pads, and nets, you eliminate the largest risks. Just jumping on a trampoline may cause a pulled muscle, but so can almost any other activity. As long as they are not trying to do flips (go back to having rules and enforcing them), they are not at that much risk jumping one at a time on a netted and padded trampoline.

If the main cause of injuries is hitting each other, I do not see how the moonwalk/bounce house type jumpers are any safer. Probably less safe since they are designed to make you shoot off on crazy angles.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 PM

145 posts, read 325,900 times
My neighbor has a buried trampoline

Old 07-11-2012, 02:18 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not according to pretty much all the sources on the internet. The biggest cause of trampoline injuruies by far is kids hitting each other. Next is falling off. Next is hitting some part of the trampoline. Thus with rules (enforced), pads, and nets, you eliminate the largest risks. Just jumping on a trampoline may cause a pulled muscle, but so can almost any other activity. As long as they are not trying to do flips (go back to having rules and enforcing them), they are not at that much risk jumping one at a time on a netted and padded trampoline.

If the main cause of injuries is hitting each other, I do not see how the moonwalk/bounce house type jumpers are any safer. Probably less safe since they are designed to make you shoot off on crazy angles.
You misunderstood my response. I was replying to the comparison between bike injuries and tramp injuries. Yes, the biggest cause of injury IS two or more kids colliding into each other while jumping. My point was that the simple action of riding (pedaling) on a bike doesn't usually cause an accident on it's own, whereas as jumping on a trampoline can and does -- most often when there are two or more people jumping.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:22 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunters4life View Post
My neighbor has a buried trampoline
That certainly doesn't make it any safer without a net. When I was a kid people buried trampolines too, and the snakes loved living under there.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:28 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I just don't understand why other people always have to pay others' medical bills. I wouldn't dream of asking a friend to pay for an x-ray if I fell and broke a bone at their home.
Your insurance company might, though.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:12 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Trampoline = No

My neighbors gifted me with scores of kids running through my yard, breaking through my hedges, etc to save themselves a few steps to get the the neighbor's son and his very new appealing trampoline.

If the kids had walked around the yard to the neighbor's driveway to get to the trampoline I wouldn't of cared.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Trampoline = No

My neighbors gifted me with scores of kids running through my yard, breaking through my hedges, etc to save themselves a few steps to get the the neighbor's son and his very new appealing trampoline.

If the kids had walked around the yard to the neighbor's driveway to get to the trampoline I wouldn't of cared.
This sounds like more of a reason to say "Fence = Yes" than "Trampoline = No"...

Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 PM

404 posts, read 904,897 times
I can't believe you guys are saying no flips. That's the entire point of a trampoline. I'm 20 and I still like doing flips on a trampoline.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting