Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 04:59 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Somebody upthread mentioned needing an MRI after a child hit his neck. The out-of-pocket cost for an MRI under my insurance is $800. (Without insurance, it's more than $2K.) My ER copay is $100. I think when people sue, they are usually just trying to get someone else's insurance to pay their medical bills, and that's why homeowners insurance doesn't want to cover trampolines.
I just don't understand why other people always have to pay others' medical bills. I wouldn't dream of asking a friend to pay for an x-ray if I fell and broke a bone at their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 05:03 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times
There's nothing wrong with getting a trampoline. Kids need things to remember their childhood by. A trampoline is one of those things.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I just don't understand why other people always have to pay others' medical bills. I wouldn't dream of asking a friend to pay for an x-ray if I fell and broke a bone at their home.
You're smarter than a lot of people, I'm afraid. I wouldn't either. Your accident = your payment. Unless something was UNREASONABLY dangerous. A trampoline is reasonable.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:20 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
You're smarter than a lot of people, I'm afraid. I wouldn't either. Your accident = your payment. Unless something was UNREASONABLY dangerous. A trampoline is reasonable.
Agree unless this friend shoved me down the stairs or tried to murder me or something that happened because of THEIR stupidity like accidentally lighting me on fire doing because they were doing something stupid with fire, I wouldn't ask them to pay my medical bills or anything.

But if I am at someones house and *I* hurt myself, that's my fault. If I am drunk and on their trampoline and snap my arm in two that's my fault not my friends.

Too bad more people don't think this way.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
It doesn't have to be quite so violent. I've known people who have broken a bone simply by tripping over something.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
I know someone who was sued and lost because a kid fell out of their tree house while no one was even home.

I would love to get a trampoline but it rains so much where we live that I think it would be wet and dangerous much of the year. I will say that my friend who is an ER nurse is anti-trampoline. She is also anti cheerleading, skiing, football and 4-wheelers...my husband says she's anti-fun but I figure she's in the trenches with this stuff.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I know someone who was sued and lost because a kid fell out of their tree house while no one was even home.

I would love to get a trampoline but it rains so much where we live that I think it would be wet and dangerous much of the year. I will say that my friend who is an ER nurse is anti-trampoline. She is also anti cheerleading, skiing, football and 4-wheelers...my husband says she's anti-fun but I figure she's in the trenches with this stuff.
Sued and lost? All I know is that the person that decided that case was a dummy.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:48 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Sued and lost? All I know is that the person that decided that case was a dummy.
It was considered an "attractive nuisance" and the owners were deemed responsible for it because it was on their property and there wasn't a fence etc. To make the case even worse the boy who fell out and broke his arm actually used to live in the house and had moved down the road, so it was actually he and his father who built the tree house in the first place .

Old 07-06-2012, 08:58 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
We plan to get a trampoline someday. But we'll be there to supervise until he's quite mature and competent on the thing (They're very tricky, though not unpredictable).

Old 07-06-2012, 09:42 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I say nay. Our neighbors have one for their boys. They bought it last summer. I haven't seen the kids on since. The grass underneath is as tall as the trampoline. I think they are fun but I never considered one for my child. The expense, liability and injury factor. My fear about the injury factor probably stems from what happened to a coworker of mine a while back.

She got a call from her husband saying he was in the ER with their son. Turns out they went to visit someone that had a trampoline. The kid bounced off, landing on his head. He was completely knocked out. When he came to he didnt know his ABC's, his sister's name nor the dog's name. He made a full recovery but it took a few months. He repeated kindergarten because he missed so much school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting