Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 02:44 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times

Advertisements

Alcohol - for drinking
Tylenol - for no-sleep headaches
Bulb syringe - to suck out snot from baby's runny nose
Cool-mist vaporizer - dry air. If you walk across carpet and spark, run it
Nuk pacifier (or thumb) - can be for you or baby - whoever needs it more
Cabbage leaves - helps with engorgement if you decide to nurse
Unless you're skilled with an otoscope and know what to look at / for (e.g., a NP/PA/MD), I suggest you bypass that - especially for an infant - scares me to even think of it Babies pull at their ears for a lot of things and a lot of things cause ear pain other than inflammation
Cleaning service - Merry Maids or the like
Phone numbers for places that deliver and for take-out
Supportive spouse and family who know how to help and when to bite their tongue
A very good babysitter - for sanity
A sense of humor - duh
Sense to know that this child will be eighteen before you know it and then it's too late to rock them or hold them or watch them sleep just because.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 04:22 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,775 times
Oooh, I forgot to add my favorite book about children's health - How To Have a Healthy Child in Spite of your Doctor by Dr. Robert Mendelsohn. The book is a bit older now, but is an absolute treasure trove of useful information.

I am the expert on my child's health, not our doc. He's the one I consult only if sickness/injury is beyond my scope of knowledge.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:24 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,191 times
Once the baby has outgrown its infant seat/stroller combo you have to get a jogging stroller. They are so awesome!!!!! They are so much more light weight and easier to manuever. Its like pushing air. I wish I would have had one when my older boys were little.

Also at your shower have everyone bring a pack of diapers. I had this with my oldest son. I didn't have to buy diapers or wipes for at least 6 months. I had diapers of every size.

If you plan to bottle feed join the formula clubs on their websites. You can get free formula when the baby is first born and lots of coupons some were 5- 10 dollars off.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:12 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,106 times
WE LOVED

Boppy pillow for nursing (we have two) - used it for 18 months
A good rocker glider that is super comfy
Our daughter slept in our room in a cradle until she was 6 months
a good monitor is a must have
streachy swaddeling blankets
a travel system stroller that you can snap the carseat into the stroller and base in the car - we still use the stroller for daughter and she is 2
Gas drops for the baby
a good thermometer
gowns are nice for nighttime changes - much easier then footed jammies
Loved our excercaucer and bumbo when she was a little older and her jumper
Our swing and bouncey seat saved our lives as it was the only place she would sleep without being held!
Medela Pump-in-style was great

We tried to get the big purchases (crib bedding, swing, bouncy seat, bumbo etc in gender neutral colors so we can use them with number two due in Feb)

Old 10-02-2007, 12:20 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,677 times
Oh, that reminds me. The SwaddleMe blanket from Kiddopotamus was a life saver. It was the only way we could put her down without her waking up. She could break out of a regular swaddle.

Kiddopotamus: Products: SwaddleMe

Old 10-02-2007, 12:20 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,380,283 times
Congratulations!!!!

Here are the items that literally saved me during first months of motherhood:

1.Medela Pump - if you are deciding to nurse, you need the pump. Doesn't have to be this one, but definitely electric one. The reason why you need the pump is that there is no guarantee how much milk you will produce and how well your baby will nurse in the first few months. The pump can literally save your milk supply if you are planning to nurse long term.

2.Sling/wrap - I'm a big believer of "Baby in Arms" approach. I believe baby needs to be held as much as possible for the first 6-9 months of their lives. Therefore to keep your hands free to do other things, sling is essential.

3.Phone number to La Leche League leader. YOu need as much support as you can get. Nursing is not a piece of cake.

4.Gas drops. There is a company called Boiron. They sell homeopathic clear drops for gas. Worked like magic on my son.

Good luck!!!

Old 10-02-2007, 12:43 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,080 times
And now the pratical list of must haves from the baby's perspective:

You must have lots of noisy wadded paper balls for me to crinkle.

You must have pretty boxes for me to open and close and put my paper into.

You must have at least two pots with a good hollow sound when you thump them and a variety of spoons and/or spatulas for me to hit them with.

If you happen to be able to find me a bunch of keys that don't have any sharp teeth on them, that would be really nice too!

I will also need some stuff to tear, and it has to have a nice rippy sound when I tear it or it's no fun!

Some scarves made of a sheer material with large sequins securely attached are nice every once in a while.

As I get a bit bigger, 1 1/2-5 yrs, I will want boxes large enough for me to crawl or climb into and close the flaps. Don't get any with big staples or you may also have to buy a bunch of bandaids. Never mind, get the bandaids anyway. Start with the small strips and graduate me up to the large strips, patches and comic character strips as I get bored. And do get the boxes.

For christmas, I want lots of boxes, bows and wrapping paper. I won't really care much about the gifts until I am 5.

Ummmm, I guess that is about it. Oh! yeah, and more empty boxes. You can never have enough empty boxes. And, uh....., if you don't have any empty boxes I will help you out and make some of the full ones empty for you when you are not looking.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:37 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,223,627 times
Love, affection, tenderness, sweet talk, dry and clean diapers, and formula.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:21 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,380,283 times
Also, I wanted to add couple of books to the list:

William Sears "Baby Book" - the most helpful baby book ever. Actually since I don't have a mother or mother in law, I needed a lot of tips and I got a lot of useful information there.

Jean Liedloff "Continuum Concept" - this is not really a "how to raise a baby" book and I don't agree with all the technicalities in the book. HOWEVER, this book was such an EYE OPENER for me. I can't begin to tell you, I couldn't put it down. It was so inspirational and really a fascinating read. I highly recommend this for all expected moms...

Mendelson "How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor" - another poster mentioned this book and I agree.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:52 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,758 times
The only things i had besides clothes, blankets, wash wipes and disposable diapers, were a baby sleeping basket which I could take off the base and place on the floor next to our bed for easy access as the kid did a nose dive out of his crib at two weeks old, a car seat, a swing, an umbrella stroller, one of those plastic baby recliners, a couple of toys, and a teddy bear.

I did have a day person come in for the first week to make meals and so I could nap. Good thing because I had to crawl around on my hands and knees after the epesiotomy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting