Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:32 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,231,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Can you tell me why the "discount" off of his $3,000 premium was $300? He is living 1200 miles away for 75% of the year and his premium goes down 10%? Seriously? That's not a discount. We are going to take him off the policy. If he can't drive for the 4 days he is home over Thanksgiving then he can't. It isn't worth keeping him on.

We'll add him back when he gets home for the summer.
Shop the coverage then.

Or look into the rate filing and see how it's structured - it may be a rate & file issue specific with progressive. See if you can get to an underwriter who may be able to explain the coverage issues and underwriting concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 06:38 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Shop the coverage then.

Or look into the rate filing and see how it's structured - it may be a rate & file issue specific with progressive. See if you can get to an underwriter who may be able to explain the coverage issues and underwriting concerns.
I don't know what a rate filing is. I just know that I am not paying $2700 per year to insure a person who will only be driving our cars for four months a year. That's just ridiculous.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
As for property damage/liability on a broad context it's really going to depend .... however if he gets a little frisky at campus and busts a window or door the school is going to bill you for it and hold you financially accountable.
I am not worried about small items like that. If he goes out into the world beyond the campus (he is in an urban area) we are not responsible for his actions. What he does is his responsibility.

Quote:
While there may be no law that says you are always responsible for the actions of your college aged son - if you sign a contract and assume that liability in your policy then it's a different story ... that is what you need to watch for
I think that you are missing that he does not have a car while he is at school. The cars are all here at home. He will not be filing any auto claims against our policy as he will not be driving. When he returns to FL and needs to drive he will be added back. He will not be driving our cars from now until May.

I will find out if we need to keep him from driving when he is home for a few days. If we have to do that we will. It makes no sense to pay for $2700 of insurance when he will be home for three months and only needs $750 of coverage.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:49 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,374,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Deny coverage for what? If he is away he will not be driving our cars.
Oh, I thought you were under the impression that they would still be providing you coverage. If you fully understand that he will be uninsured (for liability and UM/UIM coverage), then I guess this is a mute point, as contracts will never come into play as a claim will never be made and you/him are taking on the liability yourselves of any potential accidents while he is not insured. My mistake, I thought we were discussing insurance coverage for a risk.... if there is no risk and no insurance, I'm not sure what the issue is.

Quote:

Also, if you husband is an attorney even more reason to read the insurance contract - this cannot be understated .... not sure why you would rely on a brief conversation at "1-800-telerep" when you have access to your full contract and an attorney in house
+1, my opinion is certainly irrelevent compared to an attorney with a contract, as is the "advice" of the telephone agent that is probably on to a new career by now

Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
I haven't read the whole thread but to all the people with a complaint: If you have one contact your state's Insurance Commissioner and ask if what your company is doing is legal. A good IC's office will also have info available on your rights as a consumer. CA instituted the office because so many people were complaining about problems like this.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Oh, I thought you were under the impression that they would still be providing you coverage.
If I take him off the policy how would they provide any coverage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
If you fully understand that he will be uninsured (for liability and UM/UIM coverage), then I guess this is a mute point, as contracts will never come into play as a claim will never be made and you/him are taking on the liability yourselves of any potential accidents while he is not insured.
Why does he need any coverage? He does not own a car nor will he have access to any of our cars as he will be living 1200 miles away. When he returns to FL we will add him back to the policy.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
My kids are off for at least a month over the holidays, and spend much of the time driving around visiting friends. He may want to drive before next summer.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My kids are off for at least a month over the holidays, and spend much of the time driving around visiting friends. He may want to drive before next summer.
I can add him back.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:19 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Momma Bear has raised the whole topic of automobile insurance for college students. I'm sure she is satisfied with the volume of replies she has received. I thought I would make a few general comments about auto insurance and our children that may have some universal value to all of us.

1. Too many people only focus on cost when they buy car insurance. This may be understandable in states like Florida, New York, and California. However, insurance rates everywhere are not "sky high". You should also be concerned about the quality of the product you are buying. There should be two considerations here: 1. Will the company pay a bonafide loss without a fight? 2. Do I have the coverages that I need? Not all insurance companies and all insurance policies are created equal. Some are better than others and the cost differential maybe quite minimal.

2. Too many people see car insurance as purely a negative. They think that its only there to protect them from being sued by someone if they cause injury to others. This is probably the worst way possible to see car insurance. My primary concern, as a practicing lawyer, is seeing that my own family receives appropriate compensation if we are involved in an accident. This is why my own car insurance policy focuses primarily on first party coverages such as uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist coverages. These coverages would result in compensation coming to us and not to a third party. I would rather insure those nearest and dearest to me as opposed to a stranger in another vehicle. I have a policy that provides for over $1 million in these coverages as well as liability and I pay only a little more for it than a driver pays for basic coverage in my state which would be a maximum of $60,000 per accident.

3. We often cannot contemplate what harm will befall us. Most people who buy insurance are thinking in terms of property damage to a car. However, what if your son who was away in another state was run over by a drunk uninsured driver while walking through a cross walk and suffered catastrophic injuries? The only chance your son would have for getting reasonable compensation would be if you had taken out a car insurance policy with high limits of uninsured motorist coverage.

4. People willing to accept higher deductibles on collision and comprehensive coverages can often obtain high limits of liability, uninsured motorist, and underinsured motorist coverages without increasing their insurance bill. Its simply a question of thinking out of the box and being a bit creative. Do you really need any collision coverage on a vehicle that is 12 years old and worth a maximum of $2,000? I totally eliminate all such coverages on old cars when I own them.

Too many people out there don't have adequate car insurance. When tragedy strikes they pay dearly for this mistake. There is a way to fix much of this and it can be done at a lower cost than people think it can.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:30 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Shop around. When we did, progressive was by far the most expensive. It was about 150% more than State Farm, but we bundle our insurance. However they were quite a bit more expensive than anyone. Someone has to pay for all those funny ads on TV.

If you bundle our insurance (Home, cars, boat umbrella), you will get significant discounts from the companies that can issue insurance for everything (progressive does not insure homes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting