Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,634 times

Advertisements

Ok I am a dad to be, and feel like my civics might be small for carting around a kid, a pack-n-play and a BOB during normal day to day life. Am I mistaken, is it easy to get kids in and out of small cars?

Additionally I am going on two coast to coast trips when my baby will be 4 months old, the previously mentioned items will be coming with, as will three duffels and one large suitcase (as well as a food processor to make the baby food and some dishes for mom and dad. Do you think the car will suffice?

I also posted on the car forum, but that was more in regards to rooftop boxes (a possiable inbetween getting a mini van and keeping what I have).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 11:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I had a Subaru Outback with two kids. We did get a cargo carrier for the roof. If you have a four door, no problem. A two door...well...you are still young, you can do it. After kid three, we went to the mini van.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:08 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
We have a VW jetta sportwagon and it has fantastic room for everyone. No minivan for us, ever. I'd rather take 2 cars then get a van.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:33 AM

885 posts, read 1,882,087 times
No of course not, there's a durango, xterra, suburban...

Old 08-26-2012, 06:06 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Once you have actual experience moving kids and their stuff around on a 24-hour-a-day basis, you understand that not all "large vehicles" are suitable for hauling kids. Many sporty SUVs have less interior room, less head room and even less cargo room than other types.

The more kids you have, the more vehicle you will need. The large baby stuff only comes into play until they are about 2, and then they start to need less and less equipment and can operate seat belts/buckles more easily on their own. If you have one child, you may get by with a large sedan or small crossover like the Outback. There are little differences in the types. I have twins, and I found it more difficult to bend over and constantly buckle them in and out of a sedan, with its lower profile and smaller doors. Minivans are good for that kind of access.

When you have 3 or more, a minivan or a large SUV like a Yukon XL or Suburban will work. If your kids play sports like football or hockey or do martial arts or play a band instrument, they may have large bags of equipment that have to fit in a large rear cargo area that comes with these vehicles.

As they get into school age, you may find yourself carpooling often, with books and equipment. If you carry 3 or more kids, you will need a larger vehicle.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
I have two children and get along just fine with my station wagon.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
We have two kids and we have a CUV (crossover utility vehicle). We absolutely love it!

Old 08-26-2012, 06:12 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Congrats on being a new dad to be! No, a minivan/SUV is not a necessary change. I agree with the other posters who say that it is easier with a four door car over a two door car, and it really depends on the amount of interior space. My sister just got rid of her two door civic, but used it for my niece's first three years without incident. We had a station wagon at the time my kids were born, worked just fine.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:32 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
I'm not ashamed to say I love my minivan because it's practical, can fit all the extra bodies we seem to lug around, and it's not as expensive to purchase or run as the large SUV's. We also have a large, geriatric dog who can jump up into the back of the minivan, but can't jump into the higher SUV's. I really don't care what other people think of my vehicle purchase, I get what works for me and mine.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:31 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Ok I am a dad to be, and feel like my civics might be small for carting around a kid, a pack-n-play and a BOB during normal day to day life. Am I mistaken, is it easy to get kids in and out of small cars?

Additionally I am going on two coast to coast trips when my baby will be 4 months old, the previously mentioned items will be coming with, as will three duffels and one large suitcase (as well as a food processor to make the baby food and some dishes for mom and dad. Do you think the car will suffice?

I also posted on the car forum, but that was more in regards to rooftop boxes (a possiable inbetween getting a mini van and keeping what I have).
If you have the car now maybe you could borrow the things you think you will need and see how well it all fits in your car. When we had just one child we had a Ford Taurus and it was fine. I am not sure how big a Civic is on the inside but you may be able to put some things on the floor of the back seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting