Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 05:32 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times

Advertisements

Thank you all. My daughter cannot fully articulate yet what happened she's more of a "Mommy boo boo" and then I have to figure it out as opposed to her outright saying what happened. (She's not quite 3 yet she will be in Dec.) My husband is going to call tomorrow to discuss the situation with them and try to get more information about what happened. I'm not out to get blood (just yet :-p) I'm simply angry at not being notified. I know it took me 2 hours to fully get she wasn't capable of movement however she was sitting when I had her as opposed to walking around, coloring, playing like she would of at school so I would have thought they'd have seen it sooner. Its hard because most of her teachers don't speak English very well so it hard to get a lot of out them. Thats a common thing here in Fla not just her daycare ( the not speaking English I mean) ..So we will see what has happened and go from there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 05:50 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
I dislocated my elbow as a kid playing on the monkey bars. My other hand slipped so my weight was supported on one arm and POP! out went the elbow.

I know it's very distressing that your daughter was hurt, but I really wouldn't assume a teacher or adult mishandled her. There are many ways a dislocated elbow can happen.

I would definitely talk to the school and try to get answers. But she may have hurt herself accidentally and just as you didn't realize right away that there was a problem, the teachers might not have either. Many adults think that children always cry and scream when they hurt, which isn't always the case as you found out. They may have just thought she was tired or in a grumpy mood. Since she prefers to play more quietly and not in a group, that's another reason her lower activity level might have been missed.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
My first thought was that the day care knew about the injury and didn't tell you. Now that I see they just didn't realize it, I'm not so angry. You say she was there for 3 hours without anyone realizing it, but she was also in your care for about that long without you realizing it. Of course you should take it up with the day care director and try to figure out what happened and how and why.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:29 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Kibbiekat made some good points.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I dislocated my elbow as a kid playing on the monkey bars. My other hand slipped so my weight was supported on one arm and POP! out went the elbow.
You probably weren't on the monkey bars when you were 2. There aren't as many ways that a 2 year old can dislocate something...she shouldn't be hanging from anything or falling off something high without someone noticing.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You probably weren't on the monkey bars when you were 2. There aren't as many ways that a 2 year old can dislocate something...she shouldn't be hanging from anything or falling off something high without someone noticing.
The child is 3, not 2, much more mobile than a 2 yo. Also, you've never worked in a pediatrician's office. You'd be amazed what kids can get into.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
True (maybe four? don't remember.) But dislocated elbows are actually more common in children under the age of five. It doesn't take as much force to pop the elbow in a young child because the structures around the joint aren't as strong. After age five a dislocated elbow is more commonly caused by a sport's injury.

As others have noted, a a very young child falling and putting her arm out to break the fall is a very common way to cause this injury. It also frequently happens from such simple things as an adult lifting the child slightly by one arm to help them over a curb.

I just wouldn't jump straight to an assumption that someone was rough on the child because of such a common injury.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
Dislocated elbows in kids is not uncommon. You would think though that the school would have noticed her favoring that arm or cry and holding it etc. I had an incident with one of my sons where he actually broke his collarbone at school and they knew he had been hurt and they never called me. I raised all kinds of hell and I think they changed some things with how they dealt with those issues again.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:56 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
My first thought was that the day care knew about the injury and didn't tell you. Now that I see they just didn't realize it, I'm not so angry. You say she was there for 3 hours without anyone realizing it, but she was also in your care for about that long without you realizing it. Of course you should take it up with the day care director and try to figure out what happened and how and why.
She was actually there for a total of 8 hours but they said she was playing with both hands in the am so I can only assume this happened either before or after lunch so any time between 11 and 2. My husband will be calling shortly to get some more answers. I understand accidents happen I just want answers as to HOW it happened because telling me nothing happened at all during the day tells me that you weren't watching her at all at any point. I had also made a point to my husband that it seemed to me like she had barely been changed through the day her pull up was soaked when I picked her up and there were 9 still in the bag, that was before I realized how hurt her arm was. She was also INCREDIBLY thirsty and none of her juice was gone from her cup since I had dropped her off. They recently moved her up a class and this is only the second time she's been with the new class. I noticed her being extremely thirsty last time but its FLorida and it is still close to 100 with heat index so once again I can say it didn't seem alarming or anything at the time. The second time however (yesterday) I did notice the cup was still entirely full so in the span of 8 hours was she given anything to drink? These are all concerns that will be brought up today. I have changed my work schedule thankfully I have that flexibility and I will only work the days my husband doesn't and she can get her socialization through play clubs etc that we take her to.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:45 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
My eldest dislocated her elbow more than once when she was that age. It happens more easily in some children than others. She'll outgrow it in a few years. It's not hard to fix (hold the arm straight out in front and rotate it so it's palm up, and the tendon or ligament will slip back into place) and is only a little bit sore afterward (my daughter was back to normal within a minute or so).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting