Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,659 times

Advertisements

This whole thing is ridiculous! People just always looking for something to make a big deal about....
What about grandparents day then @ school? What about the kids who don't have grandparents close by or their grandparents are not a part of their lives due to many reasons,.,, should they just stop everything for fear of " discriminatiing" against wveryone?? Ugh.....

Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
This whole thing is ridiculous! People just always looking for something to make a big deal about....
What about grandparents day then @ school? What about the kids who don't have grandparents close by or their grandparents are not a part of their lives due to many reasons,.,, should they just stop everything for fear of " discriminatiing" against wveryone?? Ugh.....
I hope the tide turns on this nonsense as well. My children's elementary school has a special grandparents breakfast at the end of the school year but it's understood that you can also bring someone in their stead, like an uncle, family friend, etc.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:22 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,184,262 times
I guess this issue is not super important to my. I am half inclined to say oh brother, don't be such sticks in the mud. But I do think that there is a troubling trend for school to engulf children's lives, become more and more involved. Parental invovlement in kids' education is crucial. But what are all of these events FOR? I swear sometimes the entire purpose of these events is to make the PTO feel like it is doing something. School does not need to be the end all be all of fun and activities. And sometimes I am not afraid to say I resent the constant pressure to attend these silly events. I want some time out of our busy lives to be a family.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I guess this issue is not super important to my. I am half inclined to say oh brother, don't be such sticks in the mud. But I do think that there is a troubling trend for school to engulf children's lives, become more and more involved. Parental invovlement in kids' education is crucial. But what are all of these events FOR? I swear sometimes the entire purpose of these events is to make the PTO feel like it is doing something. School does not need to be the end all be all of fun and activities. And sometimes I am not afraid to say I resent the constant pressure to attend these silly events. I want some time out of our busy lives to be a family.
You certainly don't have to attend. However, communities with strong ties to their schools are almost always desirable communities to live in. The relationship between family, community and school has been proven to be very important.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:39 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I was actually thinking this same exact thing. My son's grandparents are all out of town but I'm not going to pitch a fit that his school has grandparents' day. We may begin adopting our older neighbors for the occasion or he can hang out with his classmates' families. IMO, part of all families being different is that not everyone is going to have the designated person to bring to these types of things and they can bring someone else or not. It doesn't need to be a huge deal.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I was actually thinking this same exact thing. My son's grandparents are all out of town but I'm not going to pitch a fit that his school has grandparents' day. We may begin adopting our older neighbors for the occasion or he can hang out with his classmates' families. IMO, part of all families being different is that not everyone is going to have the designated person to bring to these types of things and they can bring someone else or not. It doesn't need to be a huge deal.
Exactly. I also think it provides real opportunities for children to understand the differences between families.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:13 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Exactly. I also think it provides real opportunities for children to understand the differences between families.
Yes, I completely agree!

Old 09-20-2012, 12:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Okay. Now they can have dances and baseball games that are open to the whole family instead of just half. I don't see a problem with it. The school stopped having the events because it realized they violated Title IX, which it had no authority to change or circumvent. If people are deadset on having dances where only men can dance with girls, or baseball games where only women can attend with boys ... take it to church or a private club or something.

As is pointed out by numerous articles, the brouhaha is old news. It's only coming back up because it's time to elect a new superintendent and one of the nominees is making noise about it.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Okay. Now they can have dances and baseball games that are open to the whole family instead of just half. I don't see a problem with it. The school stopped having the events because it realized they violated Title IX, which it had no authority to change or circumvent. If people are deadset on having dances where only men can dance with girls, or baseball games where only women can attend with boys ... take it to church or a private club or something.

As is pointed out by numerous articles, the brouhaha is old news. It's only coming back up because it's time to elect a new superintendent and one of the nominees is making noise about it.
I'm positive no one who has posted here believes this. The issue, to me, is crying foul about every.little.thing that may exclude someone innocuously. Maybe I just don't understand because it never bothered me.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:41 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,184,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
This. Why not just a family dance. And a family ball game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting