Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:08 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times

Advertisements

I feel like I am the only mother who doesn't work. My son is in school full time but due to his schedule (they seem to have off every other week!) I haven't gone back to work.

Now I'm thinking about it (if my husband gets this night job). Meanwhile being at home (no car) is boring. Today I took out my bike and it was great. We just moved here so I don't know anyone.

What do you gals do till the kids come home?

I'm actually looking forward to working if I can find a decent job. (easier said than done!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 11:21 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,191 times
Before my youngest was born I had 4 blissful years of no children at home during the day. I too went a little stir crazy at first. I ended up with huge flower and vegtable gardens, I did all the yard work too when weather permitted it. I was outside most of the day. I got big into knitting for a time, made blankets, socks, hats etc... I taught myself how to cook better, baked a ton. I rode my bike alot too. It was nice to be able to just have time for myself. I enjoyed it immensely. I am really looking forward to having that time again here in a couple of years.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:41 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,491 times
My daughter is in 3rd grade and I am a stay at home mom. I like being home on all the crazy days school is closed, if she gets sick, after school, and being home all summer with her. Everyone thinks its weird that I don't work, but in my grandmothers time it would have been weird to go to work. I will stay home as long as we can afford it. We only have one car, so I am stuck at home all week except for Monday when I drive my husband to work so I can keep the car.

I do seem to stay busy through out the day. I make breakfast everyday before my husband and daughter leave for the day. Then it's dishes, laundry, and cleaning. The I get dressed, call some girlfriends and my mom. I try to take a walk everyday in the afternoon. I also have time to work on some hobbies like cross stiching. I try to cook a good meal every night too. Then when my husband is home in the evenings we can have a peaceful evening because nothing needs to be done.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:23 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,501 times
My kids are in school full time. My husband has his own business and I do the "office" end of things from home. It doesn't take too much of my time except for in the Spring and Fall. Those times the phones are busy and I never know when it will ring.
I love being home. I have days that I get that "Bird in a cage" feeling. My husband comes home for lunch and there are days he doesn't have too much going on and we'll go see a movie or take a drive while the kids are at school. It's different for me because he isn't gone from 8:00 to 6:00 like a lot of husbands. He's in and out. I would like to find a hobby besides cleaning and laundry! I'm just not sure what yet. I've only been working from home for about a year. We also live in a new neighborhood so I don't know a lot of people here yet. I'm do think I'm going to join the ladies Bible study on Wednesday mornings. I know I'll really enjoy that!
The best thing is being here to send the kids off in the morning and being here after school. I know what they are doing and who they are playing with. That is priceless - especially now that they are getting older! In High School it will be even more important!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 04:19 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,564 times
I just went back to work this month. I have to say that it's hard with them in school...like you said they have several days off or half days each month, then if they are sick there is no one here for me to watch them. Once I finish the orientation on days I will be on night shift so I can be here if they need me during the day...it's the only way I can work and not be stressed about it. Hopefully in a few years when my little guy is older I can switch to days...but until then this is what works. I say stay home is you can, you and the kids will be much happier for it. Good luck to you.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:51 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,199 times
I work but also stay at home. How do I do it ; my office is at home. I own a pest control business and up to August of this year, we had it in an office. But it was a huge juggle ; bringing the kids to the office after school and some days we wouldnt get home until 9pm.
So we relocated the office part to my basement. So far it is wonderful. I am in my office at 6;30am, then the boys get up at 7am, get on the bus at 7;30 and get home at 3pm. At 3pm, I am home with them.
dorothy

Old 10-10-2007, 05:51 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Up until a year ago I was a SAHM with kids in school--DS15 is a sophomore in high school and our twins are in 7th grade. We moved here a little over a year ago and before that I was too busy to get a job. I volunteered at school, church and in the community. I had a lot of friends and we did things together. Spring/summer/fall we golfed a lot. I rarely was bored. Since we moved I found myself in a similar situation as you, nothing to do so I got a job. I work in town so I can still haul kids to various activities as needed so that is nice. I would prefer to be a SAHM again because the housework really suffers , but I like my job too.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:20 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming !

Old 10-10-2007, 06:26 AM

306 posts, read 1,243,121 times
this is so hard.......i had to take many prn positions due to my son's schedule..now since he has graduated i am still finagling schedules while working with his school and job possibilities..........that's one of the biggest reason i chose health care..it gave me so much flexibility..........

Old 07-03-2022, 10:55 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
My kid is now well grown with a good job, but when he was little and in school, I was a work-from-home mom, so I was plenty busy.

None of his friends had a working mom and as far s I could tell, the mothers lunched and shopped and did volunteer work for charities. They all had the most gorgeous gardens, partly with the help of a gardener but, for the most part, they were in charge of the flowers.

A couple of them raised horses and that takes a lot of time.

Then when school was out they were Mom's taxi to extracurricular activities for the kids.

My kid's friends all liked to hang out at my house, where I put them to work and fed them a non-stop ton of food. They all liked to work and they all liked to eat, which gave me something to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting