Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:27 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
Directed towards the OP…

I will be very honest as I try to be on every post I choose to respond too….

I had a hard time with this when I was younger ( Teens) …
Now that I AM older (38)? Not so much…My father is 67, a viet vet, hard as nails, relentless, has low testosterone and gets uber cranky towards the end of the month right before he is scheduled for his “injections”.
My mother is 63, a little OCD (Neat freak) there is only way to skin a cat in her book. She forgets a lot of things , not due to early dementia ( she is on a lot of meds) for her thyrpid condition, and pain…( back) she complains and is prone to repeat herself often then forgets her rules and goes on a tirade…
Am I sick of it? No.. Do I get frustrated? Yes, any normal person would be HOWEVER I realize that these “good people” raised me and I love them for the continued love and support since I was not always the dutiful daughter I should have been.

I explain to my son everyday ( Since dad picks him up from school as well as my other nephew, paying for one nephew to go to the police academy and they take care of my 4 year old niece when they should be enjoying their golden years) that he should be lucky to have grandparents whom do this and are so active in his life even though it is ridiculous at times.
I remind him that his grandparents are one of kind and have done so much for our family that we need to show them RESPECT.
I get upset than I remind myself that I am a parent and sometimes I want to tear my hair out as a parent and that they are human as well.

I remind myself that they lived in a different ERA and this is not my era and what I am doing with my child and my life is foreign to them and to remind myself to respect this,
It does not mean that they are right or I am wrong it just means that we are divided by generations..
I pick and choose my battles, and let them state their opinion however choose whatever path I CHOOSE..
I do not want to pick my eyes out, why?
I hate to get mushy but my parents are my adoptive parents..I always remind myself that they chose to be parents, and to us ( My twin sister and I ) and for the most part? They are two of the most influential people I have in my life!
And for this reason? I will give them the respect they deserve,…period..
I cannot tell you how good it is to see a response from someone that has is figured out. Believe me...everyone can get cranky, get a bit frustrated or tired of the same stories, etc. But, when they go, there is not anything you wouldn't do to have just another day. Patience, kindness, love, communication. Heck, punch a bag in your basement if you can't do anything else....But, know this....Everything you say, everything you do that is hateful you will relive when they are gone...It is not worth the regrets. Love them now at all costs.
Helpful resources
http://theadventurouswriter.com/blog...dult-children/
http://www.delanydean.com/2008/07/di...-is-basic.html
http://www.caring.com/search?query=d...ents&x=12&y=16
http://stress.about.com/od/relations.../difficult.htm

Last edited by JanND; 12-05-2012 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM

374 posts, read 509,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I cannot tell you how good it is to see a response from someone that has is figured out. Believe me...everyone can get cranky, get a bit frustrated or tired of the same stories, etc. But, when they go, there is not anything you wouldn't do to have just another day. Patience, kindness, love, communication. Heck, punch a bag in your basement if you can't do anything else....But, know this....Everything you say, everything you do that is hateful you will relive when they are gone...It is not worth the regrets. Love them now at all costs.
Helpful resources
How to Cope With Difficult Parents - For Adult Children : Quips and Tips for Life's Ups and Downs
mind.expressions: The "Difficult" Elderly Parent
Caring.com
Difficult People - Tips on Dealing With Difficult People

I agree.These last couple of generations have been turned against the parents by Hollyhoods movies and tv's anti-family celebrities.

But then this is the society we left them,so gues we're all to blame. No parent is perfect nor is any child.But most parents don't deserve the treatment they get now.

Kids are put in nurseries for strangers to raise ands parents in homes to die alone.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokesalad4u2 View Post
I agree.These last couple of generations have been turned against the parents by Hollyhoods movies and tv's anti-family celebrities.

But then this is the society we left them,so gues we're all to blame. No parent is perfect nor is any child.But most parents don't deserve the treatment they get now.

Kids are put in nurseries for strangers to raise ands parents in homes to die alone.
Well written, and so true. I have to agree. I get a bit heart sick reading some of the comments people are willing to write about the very people that raised them and all that entails. Hopefully the OP has resolved some of their issues. I did my fair share of griping about my Mom...I would cut off my right arm today to be able to hold her and tell her how sorry I am, and how I wish I had more time with her.

Last edited by JanND; 01-14-2013 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,026 times
For the last few posters...

Don't forget that abused children grow up, and some posting here may fall into that category.

When I needed my mother most, she told me point blank that she had to worry about herself. I'm not particularly receptive to others telling me that I should feel a certain way.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Well written, and so true. I have to agree. I get a bit heart sick reading some of the comments people are willing to write about the very people that raised them and all that entails. Hopefully the OP has resolved some of their issues. I did my fair share of griping about my Mom...I would cut off my right arm today to be able to hold her and tell her how sorry I am, and how I wish I had more time with her.
Well the title of the thread would draw those who did have difficult parental relationships. I was very lucky and got about the best kind of parents one could want. Really except for those high school years when you think you got the strictest, most old-fashioned parents, I couldn't complain.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
I think overall I have an excellent relationship with my parents. With that said, of course there are things they do that grate on my nerves. Especially as my mother grows older and now has serious health and mental conditions, it can be very, very difficult not to get frustrated. I can cope better with her than most people (including my father and all of my siblings) because I make a purposeful effort not to take things personally.

With that said, I think I learned at a very young age that my parents' needs were more important than my own. I don't mean big needs like food or love or medical care. I mean the very small things. For example, if my mother is cold, the heat in the house will be jacked up to 85 degrees in the middle of summer. If I'm trying to cook, she wants to turn the kitchen fan on (for some reason the white noise is physically painful to me...like a person running their nails down a chalkboard.) If I'm reading a book or magazine and walk away for one second, she MUST close it and lose my place (and if I have a glass and walk away, it will be dumped out immediately.) And on and on. Just tiny little things.

Thing is, I'm been absorbing and brushing off these annoyances since I was young because I've always had the mindset that she won't be around forever, so I shouldn't make a fuss over the small stuff. It's only now that I realize I won't be around forever either. I count too. And maybe if I had drawn boundaries younger, it would be easier today as she declines.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,680 times
I had a bizarre time growing up with a very OCD, controlling, emotionally unstable mom and a dad who would sit back hiding under a rock in order to avoid her rages. Of course that left my brother and I in the middle of the tornado.

Any-hoo, as an adult I've learned that I have to shield my daughter from her critical, unstable nature. This involves supervision during visits. The one thing that makes me want to stick a fork in my eye is the way she phrases everything as an accusation instead of a question.

Instead of "What sorts of foods should I give your daughter", it's "Just how much junkfood are you stuffing her full of anyway?" (accusing me of feeding her junkfood, why is that the default?)
Instead of "I see you ordered wine with dinner, I didn't know you enjoyed wine" its "You ordered wine, your not drinking all the time and sleeping in dumpsters covered in vomit are you?" (why is THAT the default?)

She's also VERY "me me me" oriented.
When I had a miscarriage, instead of comforting me the conversation turned into her asking "Why are you upset" and then a discussion of how she once prayed for a miscarriage. ???????

Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokesalad4u2 View Post

Quote:
I get a bit heart sick reading some of the comments people are willing to write about the very people that raised them and all that entails.
Some people did not grow up in unicorn and rainbow families. If that was their reality dismissive, disparaging remarks are insulting.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
funny how a few decades of life as an adult can bring a bit more compassion and understanding of our "incompetent" parents. I certainly did not have a good childhood and resented my parents in many ways but when the time came for me to be there when my widowed and ill mother needed me I was there. Now I am a senior and I try not to intrude in my grown kids' lives and I bite my tongue a great deal but I can certainly identify with my parents when they were where I am now.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
. I get a bit heart sick reading some of the comments people are willing to write about the very people that raised them and all that entails.
I appreciate reading them. I won the parental lottery and had a tremendously happy childhood. Reading about the people who didn't get that makes me even more thankful for all that I had. It also helps me understand the pain some people carry with them through life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting