Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:52 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times

Advertisements

Is there such a thing as a parental/child contract, stating mutually agreed and stated points in a relationship?

If not, should there be one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
A contract with your child? How absurd. Why would you want one? Isn't it enough to do your best to raise them and expect them to behave like respectable citizens and be responsible and accountable?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:56 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
I don't understand what you are trying to say herePlease explain further. Are you talking about an actual contract written by a lawyer????

Last edited by KylieEve; 07-21-2010 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: .

Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I don't understand what you are trying to say herePlease explain further. Are you talking about an actual contract written by a lawyer????
Why not?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,530 times
thats a method to "scare em straight"

if they're under 13 they can't be held to a contract.

but it doesn't hurt to present them with a contract and negotiate the terms, it makes for good communication, as long as you listen to them and put their demands down as well. you can strike them off later as a give and take.

a contract goes two ways, and a parent wanting a contract with their child sounds manipulative.

you should not manipulate your child.

however if they're manipulating you, bust out the contract.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:08 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
No its a ridiculous idea. You shouldn't have to draw up a contract with your child. Parents need to make the rules and children need to follow them. Also even if you had a contract minors cannot be held responsible for breaking a contract. What would happen if they broke the contract. I don't even know why I am responding to this thread.

Last edited by KylieEve; 07-21-2010 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: .

Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
I think more information needs to be provided if you expect people to give you any sort of reasonably useful answers.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:15 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Is there such a thing as a parental/child contract, stating mutually agreed and stated points in a relationship?

If not, should there be one?
A contract for what? I think a contract for very specific behaviors might be a good idea. However, a general contract should not be needed just for my kids to be kids and us to be parents.

I think this could be useful if you have an argumentative child because it spells out exactly what he had to do to continue to be allowed a particular privilege.

For example, if I tell my child that I will allow him to drive himself to school I could draw up a contract letting him know exactly what he has to do to continue driving himself. That would be a great contract but it would only apply to driving to/from school. I could spell out what his grades need to be, how many tardies he is allowed before I start driving him, whether he has to account for his brothers, when he has to be home, etc.....

We have not had to do this. Our son has been very responsible with the car so far. However, I would consider it if we started to argue over things. Hopefully, we do not need to go this route, but I can see it being useful with some kids.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:18 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
No its a ridiculous idea. You shouldn't have to draw up a contract with your child. Parents need to make the rules and children need to follow them. Also even if you had a contract minors cannot be held responsible for breaking a contract. What would happen if they broke the contract. I don't even know why I am responding to this thread.
I think it can be useful with older kids (teens). Teens often ask for very specific privileges, skate on the grey line set out by their parents, and then claim they did not break the rules. If you have a kid like this then it can be very useful to set the rules out in writing (including what will happen if you break them) and have the child sign the contract.

I would not do general contracts, but contracts to define specific privileges might work well. I would not do a contract for a child younger than 12/13.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:24 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
We have not had to do this. Our son has been very responsible with the car so far. However, I would consider it if we started to argue over things. Hopefully, we do not need to go this route, but I can see it being useful with some kids.
Actually, contracts regarding teen driving is quite common - insurance companies even provide them.

It's an outline of what can and can't be done regarding driving, and what the consequences are if one of those things happen. Sets clear expectations for the new driver. We did one with our son.

As far as other things and having a written contract? I suppose if a parent is having specific issues with a child (I'm thinking teens really), then maybe sitting down and writing out clearly what is expected and what consequences are is not a bad idea. Really depends on the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting