Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Oh, wow! I would be fuming if I was the mother in the article!

My daughter had multiple cavities at age four. She never drank soda, she ate healthy foods and I brushed her teeth. It's not impossible. Like Kibbie said, issues can arise from conditions in utero.

My daughter's dentist put temp fillings in and we came back every three months instead of 6 for checkups and fluoride treatments. The dentist did not charge for the 3 month visits. The fillings fell out before the teeth did and we ended up having to get a couple of them filled with permanent fillings later on but it was worth it to take a gentle and minimally invasive course of action. Her dentist always welcomes parents into the treatment room. I love my child's dentist and after reading this article I appreciate her even more for being so awesome.
Would you rather have her teeth rot out?
Before procedures, they always confirm the material to be used, maybe she did not realize how decayed her daughters teeth were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 11:16 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Before procedures, they always confirm the material to be used, maybe she did not realize how decayed her daughters teeth were.
Of course I would not rather have her teeth rot out. This was the work of an overzealous dentist and one who clearly failed to properly communicate with the mother of the patient.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 PM

108 posts, read 174,414 times
As a child I had a pretty terrible experience with a dentist. I needed to have one of my baby teeth pulled and the dentist pulled out a pair of pliers and set them on the tray in preparation. They were the exact kind of pliers you would find in any toolbox in America, all metal with a flat head and groves to grab screws. I was pretty young at the time, but knew damn well those things weren't a dental tool. In a panic I popped out of the chair, speed-walked out of the room, grabbed my mothers hand, and dragged her out of the office to the car.

I never really liked going to the dentist after that

Old 01-17-2013, 02:03 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
Quote:
This is common if the childs teeth are very decayed, if your insurance does not cover porcelain veneers, the dentist will have to use the silver veneers.
Give me a break. They don't HAVE to do anything other than present the options to the parents who are making the decision. Perhaps the parents would have liked a second opinion? Maybe they would have paid for the white veneers out of pocket if the insurance didn't cover it.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
One of our neighbors had their daughter die in the dentist chair when she was given an overdose of anesthesia for her age. The family later learned that dentist offices often are not required to have life saving devices on hand like other medical facilities that use anesthesia. I would have never thought of this if this had not happened to them. It is of course an uncommon occurrence, but I would ask a million questions if a dentist wanted to use anesthesia for my child after hearing this family's horror story.
I had an asthma attack while under anesthesia at the dentist's office when I was a child. I've never let my kids have any dental work done without myself or my husband being in the room with them...usually hubby because I get very dizzy in dentists' offices, even after this many years.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
To clarify, I did not mean parents should be present for surgery or even chair-side during appointments. But they should be informed of details PRIOR to anesthetization, and they do not have to be told to stay in the exterior waiting room during a new-patient appointment for a preschooler. Parents have to advocate for the kids in these situations, which means being nearby ... At least in the same room.

Kibbie, I wanted to be sure you know my comments were aimed at the mom in the article, not you.
I understand the hereditary conditions you and your son endured. While very unfortunate, those cases are relatively rare. In my experience, most 4-year-olds with multiple cavities have not had monitored toothbrush habits and have been allowed to start unhealthy habit such as soda in the sippy cup, etc.
Thanks. When the dentist first told me, I cried. She seemed genuinely surprised when I told her all that we had done and not done. The only thing we didn't do was floss. I don't know how many people floss a 3 or 4 year olds teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
One of our neighbors had their daughter die in the dentist chair when she was given an overdose of anesthesia for her age. The family later learned that dentist offices often are not required to have life saving devices on hand like other medical facilities that use anesthesia. I would have never thought of this if this had not happened to them. It is of course an uncommon occurrence, but I would ask a million questions if a dentist wanted to use anesthesia for my child after hearing this family's horror story.
That's awful. My son's dental work was done in a surgery center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I've read a couple articles about this and am still confused as to how it happened. I've been taking my daughter since she was one - she's never needed any work done so I can't speak as to what is "normal" at a peditric dentist but.........

my husband and I have both had a fair amount of work done over the years - crowns, implants, deep cleaning etc.. and we are always presented with a "treatment plan" before any work is done- the plan always includes what is and isn't covered by our insurance so there arent' any surprises.
I would understand if the girl came out with 4 silver crowns because the mom was told she needed 4 fillings. I don't understand why all the others were needed.

Quote:
Ditto what I just said above.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 AM

55 posts, read 92,611 times
We'll never know the true story. If the mother was surprised at the result here, she didn't know what was going to happen either because the dentist didn't fully disclose or the mother didn't understand what the dentist was going to do or did. There definitely appears to be a communication problem based on my experience with pediatric dentists and sedation dentistry. Also, I'd question the professionalism and licensing of a dentist that would choose to cap a 4 year olds teeth in such a way. Seems like every effort should be made (a payment plan?) when there are more, less self conscious affecting options available (this isn't the 1950s). Unfortunately there are crappy dentists out there who do crappy work. People sometimes don't understand they have options and to shop around. They get used to dealing with bad doctors or dentists and don't know how to advocate for themselves or they find out too late like in this case. What a shame for this little girl. So happy to hear the good will of another dentist stepping in to help this family.

The case of hereditary issues with regard to a propensity towards tooth decay is REAL....

My youngest son was adopted and spent a year in an orphanage. His dentist describes his tooth enamel as being very porous, indicating a very high propensity towards decay. We discovered this at a peel-me-off-the-floor dental visit. While my son presently has about 4 pediatric crowns and 8 fillings, my two other biological children have ZERO in between them and all three kids were given the exact same diet and dental care delivered by yours truly. My son now gets 'super care' delivered by us (mirror, toothbrush, floss, FL rinse) while my other kids get a stripped down version...'regular care'. He still occasionally gets cavities that spring out of nowhere and turn into needing crowns whereas my other kids still have no cavities.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:48 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I would understand if the girl came out with 4 silver crowns because the mom was told she needed 4 fillings. I don't understand why all the others were needed.
That's the part I was completely baffled by!

Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 PM

146 posts, read 313,904 times
I am shocked too.

The mom should file a complain to the Attorney General in her state. This dentist will be investigated and most likely disciplined.

Whenever you have a professional complain always file it with Attorney General. They do their job, believe me.
Going to the Better Business Bureau does nothing.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
I would be FUMING mad if that ever had happened to my son. Good Gawd what could that dentist be thinking????

My son went to a pediatric dentist but I was always allowed back and even with his regular dentist - of course, he was not afraid of the dentist so there were no tantrums or tears.

Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting