Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,779,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He couldn't get a paper delivery route, or a bag boy job at the grocery store?
Oh no paper route was for pansies. He worked construction sites removing debris. General trash, lumber, large boulders of concrete, shards of metal etc. 11 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
Oh no paper route was for pansies. He worked construction sites removing debris. General trash, lumber, large boulders of concrete, shards of metal etc. 11 years old.
sounds like me at that age. my father was one of those "knows everyone" guys and i was always doing this that or the other for people he knew.
now...there is too much liability there for places like this to even consider thinking about allowing a 12 year olds on site. one big accident and that's a wrap on whoever is running the place.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Well, my son is 20 now. And with 2.5 years left of college, I'm not worried too much about supporting him until he is 40. I'm fairly certain that he'll be out on his own soon enough after he finishes school. He knows he has a home here until he finds the job that he wants, and I'm expecting that that day will probably come before I am ready for it.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
who the hell pays taxes ate age 13? or has full time employment at 17?
Unbelievable.

My brother started full time work at 15, myself at 17. Also, I DID NOT GROW UP OR PAY TAXES IN AMERICA. There is another entire world out there that works differently to the US, believe it or not.

It used to be commonplace. Back in the day when boys learnt trades that were far more useful than college degrees.

People used to get married and have their first babies by 20, before the 70's.

You are very sure your opinions are the only valid ones, aren't you?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
This is not 1950. Most places have laws requiring you to be a certain age to get any job aside from babysitting or lawn mowing. A paper route in my city requires a car and driver's license and you start at 3 am. Many many places won't even hire 16 year olds, actually, so aside from mowing lawns or raking leaves there aren't many options.

My son (15) wants to babysit, he loves kids, but there is a stigma against male sitters.

I worked from age 12 forward. At first, just babysitting, including full time nanny jobs in summers. I don't know wtf those parents were thinking! Who hires a 12 year old full time sitter? But whatever, I did it for years. Then an "illegal" job at 14. Paid cash, under the table, because the guy was hiring younger than what the law stated so he didn't have to pay us minimum wage. Then regular, steady work through high school (I was in the school work program and got to leave school at 1pm to go to work) and then full time employment at 17 when I moved out of my mother's house.

It was a different time though. I've seen my older son and his friends both struggle to find part time work when they wee in high school due to limited opportunities until they hit age 18.
Where I used to live, it was basically impossible to get a job if you weren't 18. Not many businesses were willing to take on the liability of having an underage kid work for them. There were immigrants doing yard work for pennies (My grandpa had his 1 acre property completely maintained once a week for less than $100 a month) and we had the same issue with paper routes. Even child care is tough because there are a lot of businesses that use Child Development students as babysitters and the people using them only have to pay one or two bucks an hour. Why would you hire a 13 year old to watch your kids when you can get a college student who is CPR certified and is in the child development program?

Luckily, I had a little side business selling milk and cheese, but I know not every kid has that opportunity.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,779,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well, my son is 20 now. And with 2.5 years left of college, I'm not worried too much about supporting him until he is 40. I'm fairly certain that he'll be out on his own soon enough after he finishes school. He knows he has a home here until he finds the job that he wants, and I'm expecting that that day will probably come before I am ready for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Unbelievable.

My brother started full time work at 15, myself at 17. Also, I DID NOT GROW UP OR PAY TAXES IN AMERICA. There is another entire world out there that works differently to the US, believe it or not.

It used to be commonplace. Back in the day when boys learnt trades that were far more useful than college degrees.

Chessie and MsAnne are such good women that care for their families!

More people should strive to do the same.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
Kids in Australia can get jobs from age 14.

There are plenty of 14 year olds serving at Maccas and Burger King.

My very first job was at 13 babysitting which led into working in the parents shop within days. I have since worked -

as a vet nurse
as a motel cleaner
in a bank
in a post office
in a prison
cleaning private houses
cannery
too many offices to count
chicken factory (a true highlight)
waitressing
bar
cook
oil company
wallpapering/painting
and I've spent the last 10 years in Credit Management.

But I was still called a tax drain for having my first baby at 25.

ohhhkayyyy....

Old 01-25-2013, 11:54 PM

607 posts, read 855,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Unbelievable.

These practices no longer exist for good reason.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Btw, unless someone lives in the USA they have no idea how bad the economy is and that many jobs are being taken by foreign workers, both illegals and visaed workers, not to mention outsourcing. We have two worthless political parties that are all about the corporations and they sell us out all the time.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:03 AM

607 posts, read 855,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Btw, unless someone lives in the USA they have no idea how bad the economy is and that many jobs are being taken by foreign workers, both illegals and visaed workers, not to mention outsourcing. We have two worthless political parties that are all about the corporations and they sell us out all the time.
spot on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting