Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 06:34 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times

Advertisements

So I've been quite serious with my girlfriend and decided to tell my parents that I am dating someone just to see what they say since I've never told them anything about any of my relationships before and it turns out they are not fond of my decision because my girlfriend is half Puerto Rican and half Jamaican.

Which is incredibly ironic since I'm half Asian and half Italian/German/all that stuff.

They don't like her because she appears to be black. Which I guess she sort of is but I don't really care. My relationship with my parents isn't all that tight anyway so should I just let it go and leave it as it is and not provide them with anymore info regarding my hot girlfriend and me?

This crap makes me so upset sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 06:45 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
You are an adult. Live your life.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:46 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
It's a rough situation. I know my mom was so shocked when I went out with a Korean man. I think your parents should be more open minded. But I find certain generations and types of people just can't accept things.My German side of the family loved my Korean German Irish Cherokee son right away. My Irish side of the family were shocked and yelled at me. But once they saw him as a baby they spoiled him and adored him.

When my son dates I hope he dates a nerd to be honest. Lol

I think your folks just need to get used to the idea. And used to your very pretty lady. After all she is what you like.

I get looks all the time when my very Irish looking butt picks up my Asian looking child. At least if you have children it's not that abnormal to see Asian and Black.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:53 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
My dad isn't racist as far as I know. Yeah he might let out a racial joke sometimes, and I may do the same since I grew up with it, but it's all in good fun and our black/asian friends usually laughs too.

If my dad didn't like who I was dating, then he'd never see her and I'd never introduce her to him, but I know he's not that way, and I date who I want to date and he has no control over it.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:54 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I dated (and lived with) a man my parents did not approve of in my early 20s. He did not make much money, had two children with two different women, had barely graduated high school (though he had a trade school certification) and looked very sketchy (scars, tattoos and long hair). I made it clear that those "issues" were out of bounds, but that if they didn't like the way he was treating me, they could feel free to bring it up with me. Except, as my mother put it to one of my friends rather disgustedly, "he treats her [treated me] like gold." Further, after watching the two us get into an involved discussion about a book we were reading, she couldn't really use her "He's not your intellectual equal" argument.

And by "out of bounds" I mean I would end the conversation and get off the phone or leave the house, politely and firmly. I made clear to them if they forced me to make a choice based on nonsubstantial reasons, I would choose him.

I eventually dumped him because he continued to make irresponsible choices. But not because of his appearance, income level or educational background. My parents have continued to maintain a policy of not involving themselves in my relationships.

Set boundaries, and then enforce them. Don't have temper tantrums or fights. "I'm sorry, but I'm not having this discussion with you." is a useful stock phrase.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:58 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
both sides were against me since the day i was bornnnn (cher)

you cant please everyone, so you've got to please yourself (r.n.)

your parents should be happy or content, if YOU are happy or content-otherwise, do they really support you? and if they dont,,,then their opinion shouldnt mean much

Old 03-09-2013, 07:05 PM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times
You have a chioce and that's suck up their racist behavior or disown them. If any of my family felt that way about a person I chose to associate with they can either change their ways or take a hike.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:13 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You are an adult. Live your life.
I realize that I am an adult. Even as an adult, I still want to have somewhat of a decent relationship with my parents. That's why this upsets me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
It's a rough situation. I know my mom was so shocked when I went out with a Korean man. I think your parents should be more open minded. But I find certain generations and types of people just can't accept things.My German side of the family loved my Korean German Irish Cherokee son right away. My Irish side of the family were shocked and yelled at me. But once they saw him as a baby they spoiled him and adored him.

When my son dates I hope he dates a nerd to be honest. Lol

I think your folks just need to get used to the idea. And used to your very pretty lady. After all she is what you like.

I get looks all the time when my very Irish looking butt picks up my Asian looking child. At least if you have children it's not that abnormal to see Asian and Black.
Your son is like me! I'm Native American too with some random European blood too!

I love dark skin chicks; I can't help it. But Blasian kids are hard to come by.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
There's not a whole lot you can do about it. I say not to worry your pretty little head about it until you get engaged.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:25 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I realize that I am an adult. Even as an adult, I still want to have somewhat of a decent relationship with my parents. That's why this upsets me.

Your son is like me! I'm Native American too with some random European blood too!

I love dark skin chicks; I can't help it. But Blasian kids are hard to come by.
Lol he's like you. I think blasian kids are great looking. Lol think Tyres. That great looking guy in Too Fast and Furious and a model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting