Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 12:28 PM

885 posts, read 1,882,636 times

Advertisements

Looking for some insight into how the more tech literate (assuming you're here means you're way ahead of the rest) parents on this site have implemented technology plans in their household?

No need to tell me I'm over the top, I know that. Looking for real feedback.

Why do you do certain things?

Do they work?

What have you tried that did not work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Default What is your families technology plan to keep your kids safe?

Teach them to stay away from young, single, childfree dudes who obsess about teenagers and sex, and post endless on Parenting forums. It's creepy.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:41 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Looking for some insight into how the more tech literate (assuming you're here means you're way ahead of the rest) parents on this site have implemented technology plans in their household?

Because they prepare them for the real world in which someone is not there to control them.

Quote:
Do they work?
I would be interested to know what you mean by "work".
Quote:

Old 04-06-2013, 12:42 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Teach them to stay away from young, single, childfree dudes who obsess about teenagers and sex, and post endless on Parenting forums. It's creepy.
While it is disturbing, that made me laugh out loud.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:01 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
We do not have a technology plan.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:

Do they work?

I thought this was your line of work.

Why don't you just tell us your ideas ...

Old 04-06-2013, 01:35 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Bazinga!

But I did read something this week that gave me pause, and made me grateful that I don't have any young girls in the house. Sort of like "4 pics, one word", but it's "4 pics, one ugly" . This mother handled it beautifully:
Hollee Actman Becker: Beauty Is Only Skin Deep, But Instagram Is To the Bone

Just knowing this type of stuff goes on would make me check the info going back and forth if my kids were younger. Fortunately, they are college age, and my only inquiries at this point are when I need technical help.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:42 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,275,177 times
Hubby and I are pretty tech literate. He is an IT guy and we both are gamers. A few things from our "technology plan." Probably forgetting a few things.

-Have computers in a central place. Our basement is our comfy computer area for the whole family and each of us have our own computer. I don't allow the kids on my computer. My screen locks so they can't on my computer and browse. I won't even tell you how many computers we own...various models since you will think we are auditioning for the Hoarders, lol. In fact, my hubby is rebuilding an older computer for my friend who is without a computer.
-Have things like Net Nanny in place. This software has done a pretty good job controlling access to various sites.
-Put parental controls on things like iPods, cell phones. My husband also gets a report of all browsing activity so we know what our kids are doing.
-Lay down some rules on social media. My kids (13 and 10) do not have twitter or FB accounts regardless of what "all the other kids have." ( a source of friction with our daughter)
-monitor cell phone activity. Cell phone became a necessity in 6th grade because of after school activities off campus and late buses. Unfortunately we took away texting since that became a problem with daughter.

Both of us are pretty vigilent with what our kids are doing. My hubby is a network/security IT guy so he is quite tech savvy. I'm paranoid about what kids are doing so at times, admittedly I go a bit overboard, especially with daughter who has engaged in some pretty risky behavior in the past. And yes, we constantly talk to our kids about internet safety. Even when my daughter did some sneaky things, she never did put herself at risk by divulging personal info. I'm pretty shocked by what some of her peers are doing in instagram and showing pics of themselves, their homes, etc. Daughter and I play some app games together and when it is an online game like Clash of Clans (an app game), I make sure that she is behaving appropriately while online...we are in the same clan so I can see the chat logs.

We've had a few mishaps along the way though with our daughter and she tries to push the boundaries. She was actually trying to set up social media sites at school which really pissed me off since we try to monitor things so closely at home.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:

Do they work?

Check the tmp files, keep the computer in a central area, don't buy them iPhones. Trust but verify, if a child isn't hiding anything or acting strange, then less monitoring is needed. One reason I get my kids tracfones is they are very affordable, also the child won't get out of control in texting and doesn't become nearly as addicted.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
Hubby and I are pretty tech literate. He is an IT guy and we both are gamers. A few things from our "technology plan." Probably forgetting a few things.

-Have computers in a central place. Our basement is our comfy computer area for the whole family and each of us have our own computer. I don't allow the kids on my computer. My screen locks so they can't on my computer and browse. I won't even tell you how many computers we own...various models since you will think we are auditioning for the Hoarders, lol. In fact, my hubby is rebuilding an older computer for my friend who is without a computer.
-Have things like Net Nanny in place. This software has done a pretty good job controlling access to various sites.
-Put parental controls on things like iPods, cell phones. My husband also gets a report of all browsing activity so we know what our kids are doing.
-Lay down some rules on social media. My kids (13 and 10) do not have twitter or FB accounts regardless of what "all the other kids have." ( a source of friction with our daughter)
-monitor cell phone activity. Cell phone became a necessity in 6th grade because of after school activities off campus and late buses. Unfortunately we took away texting since that became a problem with daughter.

Both of us are pretty vigilent with what our kids are doing. My hubby is a network/security IT guy so he is quite tech savvy. I'm paranoid about what kids are doing so at times, admittedly I go a bit overboard, especially with daughter who has engaged in some pretty risky behavior in the past. And yes, we constantly talk to our kids about internet safety. Even when my daughter did some sneaky things, she never did put herself at risk by divulging personal info. I'm pretty shocked by what some of her peers are doing in instagram and showing pics of themselves, their homes, etc. Daughter and I play some app games together and when it is an online game like Clash of Clans (an app game), I make sure that she is behaving appropriately while online...we are in the same clan so I can see the chat logs.

We've had a few mishaps along the way though with our daughter and she tries to push the boundaries. She was actually trying to set up social media sites at school which really pissed me off since we try to monitor things so closely at home.

I do most of what is described above; we use Microsoft Security Essentials to monitor all the computer use and I get a weekly report showing websites visited and searches.

However, now my two oldest kids have Android tablets which are not under the MSE umbrella so they can see anything. I need to figure that one out plus the oldest (13) has her own 4G smartphone which I don't know how to control.

Also, I set up mail forwarding to me on their emails so I can see all their email traffic. Still, that is only partial control/monitoring.

I think this was a good idea this thread was set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting