Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:45 PM

73 posts, read 458,221 times

Advertisements

Do you sleep with your children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 06:47 PM

640 posts, read 461,282 times
No, neither of my two daughters slept in the bed with us as they grew up. I'm aware of parents who have chosen to allow sleeping in the parent's bad that regretted it later. The old saying goes something like "don't start none, won't be none" is probably correct on this subject.

The parent's bed is for.....well, parents :-)

Old 10-29-2007, 07:29 PM

841 posts, read 4,838,833 times
We do one sleep over per month with our boys. We rent a movie and watch it in our bed, then the boys fall asleep. My husband and I stay up and watch regular tv with all of us in the bed.
I can't sleep with the boys in the bed so I go to the guest room and have an uninterrupted and nice night's sleep! I think co-sleeping is a nice idea. I'm just such a light sleeper that I can't do it.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:50 PM

895 posts, read 4,248,009 times
No way. Not ever. Don't want to. Don't want to get it started. The thought gives me the heebie jeebies. It's bad enough I have to share my space with my husband!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:57 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,110 times
I start my babies off cosleeping and then they move on as they are ready. It truly is the best way I've found to sleep with a nursing infant. When the need is met, my children have all moved on, first to their own bed in my room, and then to their "grown up" rooms.

Even though it is popular here in the US to have children in their own rooms, please remember that throughout the world the family bed is the norm.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:16 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
Nope - my bed is MY BED

I would never co sleep - it makes too many sleep problems later.

I see too many mommies (I'm on another board) whine "I can't get my 9 month old in the crib! I co -slept and now want them to transition" My advice would have been - then you shouldn't have started.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:29 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,580,765 times
When my daughter was an infant, I kept her with me instead of the crib. Once she turned 2 I didn't have any problems with her sleeping in her room alone. She still sleeps with us sometimes if we're up late watching a movie or something. When she visits my Mom, she would prefer to sleep with her rather than in the guest room.

My sisters children (3 of them) all have their own room however, they frequently "raid" my sister and BIL bed And when all the grandkids are visiting grandma, they all fight over who gets to sleep with my Mom - it's hilarious.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:39 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,709 times
I agree with Karen 100%

Old 10-29-2007, 10:05 PM

631 posts, read 2,445,155 times
My daughter for reasons slept with me, it was miserable for me! She slept with one eye open even during naps to see if I was there. It was hell for years!

My son came later, and for years slept in his own bed, until my daugher suggested, oh mom, he's so cute, can't he sleep with me? I Knew! once he did, she'd get tired of it, then he'd be in my bed. He's 11 now almost 12. I've just weened him from the guilt trips when I tell him no. Single mom here, he sleeps in his own bed now and across the room from me.

Now I have my grandbaby since birth. He's 2 yrs. 4 months. Being grandma, & "wiser" I've started him out in the crib. And even when my daughter wanted him in her bed I put him in his crib warning her of the consequences knowing she loved her free time and felt bogged down to start with, and saving myself knowing he'd end up in my bed. To this day, he feels safe and in his place in his bed. Once I put him down, he's quiet and down for the count. He's tried twice only to sleep with me and both times it did not work out, and back to bed for him for his sake and mine.

It's cute and cuddley at first, but it does create a monster to let them sleep with you.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:52 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,138 times
No way, when they were babys and I was breastfeeding we or better me would fall asleep/snooze with them next to me, but after that no way.
To me its a privacy issue. They can come in and watch TV with us but sleepin is done in their own beds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting