Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 09:00 AM

244 posts, read 248,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I tend to be influenced by songs.

Roxanne
You don't have to put on the red light
Those days are over
You don't have to sell your body to the night

So I wouldn't name my kid Roxanne. The song would play in my head every time I said the name. Mary and Susan are too commonplace for a song to "ruin" but less common names are affected that way.
Same thing happens to me when I hear the names Michelle, Layla, Ruby, Lola, Angie, Lucy, Jude and Daniel. Oh to be immortalized by the Beatles, Eric Clapton, the Stones, the Kinks and Elton John!

My name is Jennifer and, for better or worse, my brother has called me "Eight" for years. Yep, it's short for 867-5309.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 09:49 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
The irony is I'm a Jennifer. My sister got more of a unique name: Jeanne. (Courtesy of Elton John's song.) People maul her name. LOL

I think there were 5 Jennifers on my block alone. I remember being 1 of 6 in my 5th grade class. Never bothered me though. We all thought it was cool.

Ack...I guess my mom didn't name my sister after Elton's song. The song was released a few years after her birth. Hmmm...I'm going to have to find out what inspired my mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I remember when my friends started having their daughters "Ava" was the name du jour.

When a third couple we knew named their daughter Ava, I remarked about the name being very well liked. That actually set them off because they actually thought they picked an unusual/uncommon name. They did get really upset that it turned out to be a new version of Jennifer-- while they were part of the trend, they really had no idea (they claimed they did their research ). Currently she is one of four Ava's in the class, and it's looking like her peers will be referring her "AJ" instead- which they hate. I'm guessing they should've gone with their other choice name (Roxanne).

Yeah, my 8 yo has a lot of Avas in her grade. They're all known as Ava C., Ava D., etc.. I guess it was no different when I was growing up. We either used the last initial or just referred to each other by our full names (first & last.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Me too. My daughter's name is simple and easy to pronounce and yet she's never been in a class with another one. We wanted a name that was uncommon but not weird and that's what we ended up with.
Same here. My daughter has yet to meet another Jill. The only problem is some people assume her first name is Gillian, when it's not.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:09 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Ack...I guess my mom didn't name my sister after Elton's song. The song was released a few years after her birth. Hmmm...I'm going to have to find out what inspired my mom.

Yeah, my 8 yo has a lot of Avas in her grade. They're all known as Ava C., Ava D., etc.. I guess it was no different when I was growing up. We either used the last initial or just referred to each other by our full names (first & last.)

Same here. My daughter has yet to meet another Jill. The only problem is some people assume her first name is Gillian, when it's not.
I remember when Gillian first came out. It was a character on a soap opera, and suddenly became a popular baby name.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:12 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Have you ever Googled your own name? There are hundreds of people with my name. I have fairly common first and last names. My daughter, on the other hand, is likely the only person with her name in the country and probably the world.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:33 PM

202 posts, read 311,050 times
I named my daughter Hayley in the early 80s. When I say there weren't that many, it's not that I think I invented the name (Hayley Mills was a childhood favorite) but I mean I hadn't run across any. None. For years.

Now, of course, there are Hayley's of every variety - Haley, Haleigh, Halee, you get the picture. The "big" name at that time was Ashley Nicole.

On another note, I'm rereading a book that takes place pre-WWII through just the end of the war, in Cornwall/London and one of the main characters name - a girl - is Loveday.

I wonder if there's a history or significance of that name or if the author just happened to think it up. Anyone ever hear of that one?

Old 10-08-2014, 03:51 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini1959 View Post
I named my daughter Hayley in the early 80s. When I say there weren't that many, it's not that I think I invented the name (Hayley Mills was a childhood favorite) but I mean I hadn't run across any. None. For years.
I know a few Halleys from the mid 80s because of the comet.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:12 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Have you ever Googled your own name? There are hundreds of people with my name. I have fairly common first and last names. My daughter, on the other hand, is likely the only person with her name in the country and probably the world.
I think I share that distinction with your daughter MQ. I have an Irish first name, and a Polish last name from my husband. But, his grandfather shortened the family name drastically when he emigrated, and I've never heard the new version anywhere else. The only way I know the original looong spelling is because it's engraved inside the gold pocket watch my husband inherited.

There is a Frederick on my husband's side. There were 3 others in his elementary class. One was Frederick, one was Freddy, one was Fred, and the last one was Fred last initial. He said the funniest thing is that the versions they were given by the teacher stuck into adulthood.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:43 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellflower View Post
Same thing happens to me when I hear the names Michelle, Layla, Ruby, Lola, Angie, Lucy, Jude and Daniel. Oh to be immortalized by the Beatles, Eric Clapton, the Stones, the Kinks and Elton John!

My name is Jennifer and, for better or worse, my brother has called me "Eight" for years. Yep, it's short for 867-5309.
That's pretty da*n funny.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:10 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
There's over 10,000 girls (and 5 boys...) with the same name as my daughter born in the last four years (she was born 3 years ago so these will be the people in her age cohort) and considering the population size of my country she is bound to have several in her class/school with the same name. Yet I still haven't come across one in her age range yet - wonder where they are all hiding?!

By comparison, there are less than 400 people of all ages with my first name in my country (and only 9 women with my last name).

The name I want for a son if I ever have one has only 1700 people of all ages so that's pretty rare.

I love looking up names

Old 10-09-2014, 01:09 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
There's over 10,000 girls (and 5 boys...) with the same name as my daughter born in the last four years (she was born 3 years ago so these will be the people in her age cohort) and considering the population size of my country she is bound to have several in her class/school with the same name. Yet I still haven't come across one in her age range yet - wonder where they are all hiding?!
My name was in the top 15 for the year I was born, and somewhere close to that ranking for about a decade before and after. Even in the state I live in, my name was in the top 20 for my birth year. I have known a total of two other people with my first name, and both were 20+ years older then me. Then there are names that were apparently a lot less popular then my name, and I know dozens of people with that name. Weird how that happens.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting