Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 08:37 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
And here I was, thinking of ink pens...although I believe they spelled it a bit differently.

I suppose a girl named Schaeffer might be expected to make her mark.
I suppose so. It means "shepherd" in German. Hmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 07:21 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
I often hear names that make me scratch my head or roll my eyes, but really, it doesn't affect me and I don't care what people choose to do. What I find annoying is when people constantly refer to their child by first name, use the name loudly in public, or just generally try to get attention and/or approval for the name they've chosen. When I find myself engaged like this I ignore it. I know it probably drives the other parent crazy, but it's a huge pet peeve. When I'm talking about my kids I just say "my son" or "my daughter." I chose their names for me and them, and have nothing to prove.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:10 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
I wish I had a buck for every Brayden, Caiden, Kaitlyn, Chase, Aiden, Jackson, Liam, Sophia, Ava, Isabella and Madison in my kids' classes.

Last edited by TheImportersWife; 10-06-2014 at 08:26 PM..

Old 10-06-2014, 08:53 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I wish I had a buck for every Brayden, Caiden, Kaitlyn, Chase, Aiden, Jackson, Liam, Sophia, Ava, Isabella and Madison in my kids' classes.
Are Brayden and Caiden boys or girls? There is an epidemic of boy Jaydens (and Jadens) near where I live.

No more Kaylie/Kaylee/Caillie/Kayla/McKayla etc.?

(McKayla is the oddest translation of the beautiful Hebrew name Michaela that I've ever seen.)

Do these Madisons know they were named after a mermaid? Who was named after a street? Which was named after an obscure 19th century President?

Old 10-06-2014, 09:07 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Both of my children have Sanskrit-based names. My oldest is Kalinda Devi and my youngest is Anjali Sarinna. They go by "Kali" and "Anji". I've always loved Hindu mythology and female names, so I had every intention of naming Hindu names even though they are not Indian.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Are Brayden and Caiden boys or girls? There is an epidemic of boy Jaydens (and Jadens) near where I live.

(McKayla is the oddest translation of the beautiful Hebrew name Michaela that I've ever seen.)

Do these Madisons know they were named after a mermaid? Who was named after a street? Which was named after an obscure 19th century President?
Really no different than the Ronnie/Donnie/Lonnie/Bonnie/Connie/Johnny's of the 50's/60's/70's.

Or the Linda/Belinda/Melinda/Dalinda's.

For whatever reason, categories of names seem to become popular.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:47 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Really no different than the Ronnie/Donnie/Lonnie/Bonnie/Connie/Johnny's of the 50's/60's/70's.

I just wonder if these parents saw the trend of their child's name becoming popular. Did they pick the name because it was trendy or did they think they were being different?

Old 10-07-2014, 11:48 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

But many of the Ronnie-Donnie-Bonnie-etc. crowd were formally Ronald, Donald, Marlon, Constance, and John. Okay, so Bonnie was just Bonnie - maybe Bonita - but the majority of these other names were nicknames for names which incorporated the "on" sound, but which were more distinct and varied than are the current crop of Jayden/Hayden/Braydens.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:27 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post

ROFL, I've posted something similar in the past.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
But many of the Ronnie-Donnie-Bonnie-etc. crowd were formally Ronald, Donald, Marlon, Constance, and John. Okay, so Bonnie was just Bonnie - maybe Bonita - but the majority of these other names were nicknames for names which incorporated the "on" sound, but which were more distinct and varied than are the current crop of Jayden/Hayden/Braydens.
Most of the Connies were/are Connie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting