Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 05:19 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

I think those are better than the ones where folks who think they are being sly post their dirty laundry for everyone to read or talk about how depressed they are. But only slightly. I don't have many friends on FB, don't post anything ever, only have a couple family photos up, have privatized myself to the point of nobody but me seeing anything anyway, and have all but my kids on ignore in my news feed. I'm boring and so is everyone else.

My ex used social media updates to get attention. If nobody responded he just kept posting the same thing every hour or so...FB, Twitter, Foursquare, etc. until people "liked" it. Sometimes 20 updates a day. So obviously I'm going to do the opposite of him so I can feel superior

Old 05-07-2013, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,524 times
I don't think it's just parents that want to brag on Facebook. Facebook is for braggers and attention seekers in general. I don't mind if someone posts things about their children, as long as they don't do it too often. You have those people that post 2 to 3 times a day and that drives me nuts. Honestly though, if they weren't posting about their children they would post pictures of what they are eating, or pictures of them doing random things throughout the day. You can tell which people will start posting about their kids all the time when they finally have them. Some people just need the attention.

I unfollow anyone who starts to annoy me with their posts. This includes:
-constant political posts
-ecards, quotes, share this if you...
-complaining about relationships or personal problems
-games invites
-people that post pictures of or mention their children and their bodily functions

They don't know they've been unfollowed so they can't be offended.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:08 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
I don't have "kids", I have a new step-daughter in boarding school. She is not a kid, she is 17. And has never lived with us. She's been accepted to Oxford, but nobody knows, because I wouldn't dream about bragging about it, on Facebook or anywhere else.

First, it's ill-mannered. And second, bragging about your kids is like putting a target on them for everyone to single out and hate and bring down.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:16 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I have a question for those in this thread who take issue with it. Why don't you unfriend these people who annoy you?
Because one of them happens to be one of my best friends. Why should I burst her "happiness" bubble, even though her posts of "how great it is to be a grandma" get kind of monotonous and repetitious? If it was something like preaching or going on and on about sports, and she/he wasn't a good friend, then I'd "unfriend" them.

I just accept this as part of our friendship like I do with other friends showing off photo albums of their grandkids.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
There is a difference between being proud of an accomplishment and bragging incessantly, non stop about your children. It is obnoxious, boring and does scream, "I need attention!"

"Use the ignore feature. Problem solved."

Or we could maybe get it across to some people, (gonna guess quite a few of them are on here since they see no problem with it), that really, NO ONE CARES what your kid has done.

"Ryan took a poop today!" Who. cares. Put it in your little Ryan diary, not on Facebook.

And those things they did that were so. hilarious? No. They aren't.

I have four people on my FB who are parents of young children. Not a single one of them brags non stop about their kids. Not a one. They seem to have figured out how to balance things. Too bad so many others can't figure that out.

This is why I love this site: ****, Parents

(Just in case that gets deleted for being a link not allowed, it is STFUparentsblog dot com)

Old 05-07-2013, 06:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Good post!

And unfortunately true of a lot of so-called parents these days. That's unhealthy parenting! The same kind of parenting which replaces things and activities for precious and all important time (insert Cat's in the Cradle song).

So/too many dump their kids in daycares and activities. It's a sad state of human nature and affairs. Those folks should be unfriended and unheard. I speak of the healthy parents out there- who have parented the right way- and take healthy pride in their kids.

Look, don't take my word for it! Speak to any mental health professional out there- as to whether or not this sort of thing is healthy and appropriate. They will tell you that the kind I am speaking of is not only healthy, but important in a child's development.
Seriously? Who are you to decide how many and what kind of activities are acceptable and what kind of bragging is or is not ok?

Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Seriously? Who are you to decide how many and what kind of activities are acceptable and what kind of bragging is or is not ok?
Dr. Spock-Pickle.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:46 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Because one of them happens to be one of my best friends. Why should I burst her "happiness" bubble, even though her posts of "how great it is to be a grandma" get kind of monotonous and repetitious? If it was something like preaching or going on and on about sports, and she/he wasn't a good friend, then I'd "unfriend" them.

I just accept this as part of our friendship like I do with other friends showing off photo albums of their grandkids.
Then why read or follow her posts? If something is boring and annoying you skip over it.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:53 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I understand the "hide" feature on FB. The OP didn't ask how to hide or unfriend people. She asked why we think people brag. Even those who hide or unfriend, don't you sometimes wonder why people do what they do?
One person's keeping friends/family updated is another person's brag. I don't think people can control how others react to their posts.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
And again the child-free by choice choosing to come to the PARENTING forum and **** all over parents. Keep it up maroons, looking more idiotic with each post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting