Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:47 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I always made arrangements for my other kids if I had to stay.
That's not always realistic, especially is there are 3 or more kids in the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,211 times
When our oldest son was 4, we had a party in the back yard, bounce house, games, the whole bit. To our surprise, many parents dropped off their kids, asked when it was over, and then took off with little warning. I think this is wrong on a number of levels...

1. Hosting a birthday party isn't an invitation for a free babysitter for an afternoon where your kid is fed and leaves with treats. I understand, espcially if you have other children, it's not always feasible to stay, but at least ask first.

2. 4 or 5 years old is way too young to leave your child at a birthday party. We had never met many of the parents who left, would you leave your 4 year old at, essentially, a stranger's house, outside with a bunch of other parents who you never met?

3. Even if I intended to leave my 4/5 yr old somewhere, if I saw 16 other children running around crazy, I would never leave them in that scenario. It's mass chaos, it's pretty much guaranteed your 4/5 yr old is going to be unsupervised a vast majority of the time. Hope they dont eat anything you dont know they're allergic too, or get trampled in the unsupervised bounce house.

We've seen parents leave their 5 yr olds at a birthday parties at the pool! Now that's crazy...

Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
When our oldest son was 4, we had a party in the back yard, bounce house, games, the whole bit. To our surprise, many parents dropped off their kids, asked when it was over, and then took off with little warning. I think this is wrong on a number of levels...

1. Hosting a birthday party isn't an invitation for a free babysitter for an afternoon where your kid is fed and leaves with treats. I understand, espcially if you have other children, it's not always feasible to stay, but at least ask first.

2. 4 or 5 years old is way too young to leave your child at a birthday party. We had never met many of the parents who left, would you leave your 4 year old at, essentially, a stranger's house, outside with a bunch of other parents who you never met?

3. Even if I intended to leave my 4/5 yr old somewhere, if I saw 16 other children running around crazy, I would never leave them in that scenario. It's mass chaos, it's pretty much guaranteed your 4/5 yr old is going to be unsupervised a vast majority of the time. Hope they dont eat anything you dont know they're allergic too, or get trampled in the unsupervised bounce house.

We've seen parents leave their 5 yr olds at a birthday parties at the pool! Now that's crazy...
Did you specify on the invitation that the whole family was invited, or was it addressed to the child? If it was addressed to the child only, the parents may feel like they aren't expected to stay and like there may not be space and food for them.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:01 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Did you specify on the invitation that the whole family was invited, or was it addressed to the child? If it was addressed to the child only, the parents may feel like they aren't expected to stay and like there may not be space and food for them.
That's a good point, and if anyone would ever RSVP, that could easily be discussed. But that's a different issue in a different thread already posted here

Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
At your house, yes...I would think the parents would just drop the kids off.
That is how it was during our childhood.
Frankly, we didn't want our parents there.

At some outside facility...I think those parents are NUTS to leave their kid in the hands of others and strangers.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:23 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Hmmm.....my take on this is very different. I would have never "expected" a parent to remain at the party unless they choose to do so. They would certainly be welcome. I would have assumed since it was my kid's party I was responsible for the other children while they were there-just as I would if they were in my home. But I also would not have invited that many children to a 5 year olds birthday party.

My rule was 1 friend for every year of age. It was manageable for me and for the birthday boy or girl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
When our kids were that age it was still assumed that you would drop the kids off and leave and that the hosting parents would arrange for enough eyes if needed. We never assumed parents would stay at a child's birthday party.
No matter the type of party, we always felt it was our responsibility as the host to provide adequate supervision for all the children invited. I would never assume a parent was staying and I dropped my kids at many parties over the years. If I was concerned, I would ask if I needed to stay or if I felt the host did not have proper supervision again I would stay but when we hosted, we always made sure we had enough supervision for our chosen activity.

When DD was in kindergarten, we hosted a party at the local gymnastic studio. One fixed rate for up to 25 children and the studio provided enough supervision for the group size, that was part of the package.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
That's not always realistic, especially is there are 3 or more kids in the family.
I had twins + 1. Nothing was realistic, but I made it happen.

I have seen it all, and I had to have an extensive support system in place.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:30 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
I have 3 kids under 10. We have gone to dozens of parties and it is common to drop kids and leave. Once kids hit about age 5 this started happening.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,586 times
17 kids is not unreasonable. At our school (only goes to kinder) you have to invite the whole class which at this age I think is a fine rule. I have never had siblings come unless the parent asked or if the invite said siblings welcome. I've so never had the parent leave and expect me to watch their kid. That's pretty rude when you're going to be busy with your own child's party. Kids love bounce houses but there are lots of injuries so I would politely say that you won't be able to watch the other kids and would appreciate at least one parent bring there, or an older sibling who can supervise

Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 AM

I don't think 17 kids is unreasonable either. No one I know has followed the one kid per year old rule.

I think it is safe to say we should never assume anything, make invitations clear, and always ask before assuming you can leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting