Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:57 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,758,707 times

Advertisements

I think my kids are great . But I also know that they are not angels. I am proud of the things they've accomplished so far, but also wish they would have done some things differently. I do wear my son's picture on a button on my shirt to basketball games (the school makes the buttons and most of the mom's and dad's wear them here), but I don't have a bumper sticker .

Having covered my feelings regarding my own children, I have two "friends" with children that are on either end of the scale in how they view their own children.

Friend #1 has children that can do no wrong. They never lie. It is never their fault when they are fired from jobs. It is not their fault when they fail a class at school. When they get caught doing something wrong, it's always the fault of the friend they are with. I stopped letting my daughter hang out with her daughter because I couldn't take my daughter being blamed for everything anymore.

Friend #2 has a son that is accused of doing everything wrong. Every bad thing that happens in the house is blamed on this kid. He lives at our house most of the time and is made to answer for things that happen around town, even when he was sitting on our couch watching a movie. His parent never believes that his son would do the right thing...he only ever wants to believe his son is doing the wrong things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 10:06 AM

155 posts, read 348,034 times
@OP You mean parents suffering from the "Lake Wobegon Effect" also know as the effect of illusory superiority? As a teacher, I see it all the time.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:18 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,159,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgauchsin View Post
@OP You mean parents suffering from the "Lake Wobegon Effect" also know as the effect of illusory superiority? As a teacher, I see it all the time.
You mean where all children are "above-average" As someone else who was in the same field, so did I.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:26 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,892,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgauchsin View Post
Yes!!!!!!!!

Old 06-29-2013, 10:26 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,205,749 times
I suspect the vast majority of children globally are either not prized, more so neglected even, which makes worrying about the minority of parents who dote on their children a non-issue to worry about.

With that said, I am aware of the above average effect. It's something we should all be mindful of and it's one of the reasons I wouldn't take an adult to automatically be right over a child.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:33 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,758,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I suspect the vast majority of children globally are either not prized, more so neglected even, which makes worrying about the minority of parents who dote on their children a non-issue to worry about.
I would think that teachers all over the place may disagree with you...if "doting" turns into "creating a self-righteous brat", it MAY be an issue to worry about.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
You can be supportive of your child. But know others are great also. Every child has different skills. Just like every adult.
We're always going to love and appreciate our own families/friends above others. Any acknowledgement of another child's talent is going to be insignificant, wouldn't you think?

Old 06-29-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I would think that teachers all over the place may disagree with you...if "doting" turns into "creating a self-righteous brat", it MAY be an issue to worry about.
This kind of doting I'm sure is correlated with SES. Are you suggesting that a majority of school age children around the nation fall on the wealthier side of socio-economic spectrum? What I tend to hear and read is about parents not giving two figs. With that said, is the OP a teacher. I didn't know, Raena!

To add, I call a bit of sour grapes and hyperbole. lol sorry! That's how this particular topic always reads to me. But, I'm not experienced parent-wise, so maybe my views will change in the future. I live in an area ripe with academic over-achieving, progressive liberals.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
And even worse, what if the child cannot handle life because deep down the child realized he/she wasn't "all that" and could never live up to the grand expectations, and becomes depressed and suicidal or even never feels happy.

Too many people will never find happiness. They'll never be satisfied, never feel joy because deep down they never were really loved for what they really are -- which might just mean average.

You should want happiness for your kids more than to bask in over-inflated pride. It's a lot easier for kids in big families for this reason because all the parental expectations aren't just on one.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And even worse, what if the child cannot handle life because deep down the child realized he/she wasn't "all that" and could never live up to the grand expectations, and becomes depressed and suicidal or even never feels happy.

Too many people will never find happiness. They'll never be satisfied, never feel joy because deep down they never were really loved for what they really are -- which might just mean average.

You should want happiness for your kids more than to bask in over-inflated pride. It's a lot easier for kids in big families for this reason because all the parental expectations aren't just on one.
I would imagine that the children of yuppies (aka upper middle class) do well enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting