Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:09 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times

Advertisements

Although I am not a single parent, I am considering taking my 4 year old daughter on a camping trip by myself. It is a trip we have had planned, but last minute my wife is unable to go. Since my daughter has been looking forward to it (as have I) I do not really want to cost her the opportunity.

I am just not sure how to handle things like potty/shower breaks for myself. I cannot exactly leave her unattended for long periods while I shower in the men's room.

My best option is to make sure she is secure in our camper (locked) to make a restroom run. Most restroom runs can be rather quick.

What do some of the single parents out there do? I have seen single parents take their kids camping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 08:19 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,734 times
At 4, I would just bring her in with you. We have been camping this summer and my daughter is 4. Sometimes my husband takes her to the bathroom instead of me, and he brings her to the men's room, since he's not going to go in the women's room. It hasn't been a big problem.

I guess it depends on how long you are camping for, but we have just been going for 2 nights for the weekend and just skipped showering altogether while camping.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable leaving my own 4 year old alone in the camper, but that may depend on her maturity level I guess. I felt comfortable sending my 7 year old up to the bathrooms or back by herself, but not the 4 year old. But my 4 yo is the type that needs adult eyes on her at pretty much all times stiill.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:28 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
Take her with you, I think that would be the safer option than leaving her alone in the camper.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Take her into the bathroom with you. She will need to use the bathroom and shower too. Your daughter is much safer in the men's room with you than she is being left alone in a camper.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
I agree to bring her in with you. There will probably be stalls and shower curtains, and you can wait for one another. If not, I'm sure you will make the best of it and be fine. If there's someone in there, you'll figure something out.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,099,804 times
ditto, bring her with you. Everybody potties. If you are not comfortable showering with her than perhaps you can go without. Not sure how long you are going camping for but skipping showering for a day or two is no big deal when camping, at least in my book. One of our favorite campgrounds does not have a place to shower so we usually bring baby wipes and use those to try to keep from being stinky. Have fun!

Old 08-15-2013, 04:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
You can get a jumbo sized ice chest at Costco. Just shut her safely inside while you shower. Be sure to leave the drain open for ventilation.

Seriously, when I went camping alone with our twin daughters around that age, I had them stand in the doorway of the mens room while I showered or pottied. I either talked with them or made them sing so I knew they were still there. That is when I leaned to shower in four minutes and to do number two in two. You can shower really fast if you plan ahead and you can potty fast if you wait to the last minute.

You can also put them in your car with the windows cracked and the doors locked. We had the advantage of hacing a TV and DVD in the van, so they were occupied. You can put a portable one in any car.

It is really not very long.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:56 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,690,151 times
I vote for just not showering. if you are camping, who cares if you get a bit gamey? You can show her how to take a 'bird bath'. I've been on dozens of 2 night Girl Scout campouts where no one ever showered. The shower when you get home is the best part. Ever had a good shower at a campground? I didn't think so.

I would be concerned about what she might accidentally see in the mens room.

At that age, one night is probably enough anyway.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:06 PM

452 posts, read 898,747 times
I vote with librarysue if you are camping there is no need to take a shower especially if it is only 1 max 2 nights. As for the potty breaks and you have a camper why not invest in a port a potty if the camper does not have bathroom. This would be easy on you and her. They sell some that are really cheap in cabelas or any outdoorsy magazine that has a bathroom seat on a 5 gallon bucket. You could always put a bag in the bucket and take it out once you are done.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:54 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
Do you have friends who are a two-parent family that camps? Check with your neighbors and the parents of your daughter's playmates - this might solve your problem and be more fun for everyone, if the mom could take care of bathroom responsibilities or keep an eye on your daughter while you're otherwise occupied. Or if you have female relatives nearby - sister, cousin, aunt - who might join you, this would also solve the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting