Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 03:18 PM

79 posts, read 100,191 times

Advertisements

I say not. I think there is something seriously wrong with a child who shrieks. Sometimes it appears to be when certain kids are over-stimulated. Maybe the parent thinks the child is having a good time.

Kids with autism shriek so because it's at such epidemic levels, I shouldn't be surprised that I hear it more often these days. But also, maybe it's some other brain issue. I heard a girl having a meltdown and she was doing it almost half-heartedly. I had to give the mom credit for hustling her out of the cafe ASAP. That was a parent with a clue, for sure!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:20 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
I read this as children streaking lol.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:21 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Um, do you have kids? Many/most/all children shriek out of happiness, sadness, anger, glee, simply to hear themselves shriek. They haven't yet gained the control that adults do when it comes to handling their big emotions. Some kids do it more than others, of course.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:27 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
This is obviously not a parent, and apparently a childless person with very little exposure to any children. Even most childless people understand that children will shriek and scream during an epic tantrum or just when really excited and running around. I knew this before I had kids, and I'm sure most do.

Do normal children shriek?

Do normal dogs bark or normal babies cry?

Moderator Cut

Last edited by Jaded; 08-16-2013 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: Posters may view other poster's profiles themselves

Old 08-16-2013, 05:37 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raina starling View Post
I say not. I think there is something seriously wrong with a child who shrieks. Sometimes it appears to be when certain kids are over-stimulated. Maybe the parent thinks the child is having a good time.

Kids with autism shriek so because it's at such epidemic levels, I shouldn't be surprised that I hear it more often these days. But also, maybe it's some other brain issue. I heard a girl having a meltdown and she was doing it almost half-heartedly. I had to give the mom credit for hustling her out of the cafe ASAP. That was a parent with a clue, for sure!
I do not believe that children with autism shriek because there are so many children with autism. Those children have no idea how many children are diagnosed with ASD. Or, are you saying that children with autism shriek because shrieking is at epidemic levels? /scratch head/

In my experience, children on the autism spectrum shriek less than neuro-typical children ~ the loud sound tends to hurt their ears. YMMV.

I have never heard of a correlation between brain issues and shrieking.

IMHO, children shriek for any number of reasons.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:38 PM

340 posts, read 523,522 times
Perfectly normal.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:57 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Those little buggers need to have their vocal chords removed from ages 2-9. They can get them back when they know how not to abuse them. Heh.

The answer is yes, BTW. Other godawful noises kids are somehow born knowing how to make: whining, random noises that annoy siblings, bad imitations of cartoon characters.

You just have to train them out of it. Or at least try. LOL

Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,523 times
I've raised two kids, crying is normal. Shrieking, which I define as high pitched and intentional, IMO is not "normal" behavior and certainly not something my kids did. They cried, sure and as babies before they knew better they screamed occasionally but there is no reason a toddler should be shrieking unless that toddler has learned it is an effective behavior.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:09 PM

793 posts, read 1,341,155 times
^ I could have written the above post.

I'm definitely not a fan of the shriek. A bit here and there when kids are playing OUTSIDE is understandable and I can let it go. But when it goes on and on, or worse, when it happens inside, I cringe.

It's irritating as hell and it's up to the parents to control it, as best they can. What happened to teaching kids manners and consideration for others?

Old 08-16-2013, 08:19 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I've raised two kids, crying is normal. Shrieking, which I define as high pitched and intentional, IMO is not "normal" behavior and certainly not something my kids did. They cried, sure and as babies before they knew better they screamed occasionally but there is no reason a toddler should be shrieking unless that toddler has learned it is an effective behavior.
Eh. I think it's perfectly normal for a kid to shriek at some point in their existence. How the parent reacts when it inevitably happens is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting