Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if any of you have had a child with sleep apnea? Our 4 year old wakes up a lot during the night. He also snores on and off. He is in constant motion, like he is trying to get comfortable and will ask for a drink of water about 5 times a night. I have not heard the hallmark pause in his breathing, but will probably take him to the pediatrician to see if he needs s sleep study. I know all children are different, but our older child has always slept like a log, and this one seems like he is awake half the night. He isn't overweight--50% height/weight. How soundly do your 4 year olds sleep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 10:28 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
I had a 4 1/2 year old student who always looked tired and unwell. His parents were concerned that he wasn't sleeping well or eating well. It turned out that his tonsils (? and adenoids) were grossly enlarged and chronically inflamed. After they were removed he gained weight, slept well and even did better in school, as he wasn't half asleep all day.

The sad thing was that the speech therapist had recommended that his parents get his tonsils checked out a full year earlier and they "never got around to it". Sheesh.

My experience is that most four years do not "get up and ask for water" at all or maybe only once in a while, after they have fallen asleep.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:10 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Is he hyper during the day as well? There's some new research that shows a link between sleep disorders and adhd diagnosis. I read somewhere about a study where a group of kids with "adhd" had their tonsils removed and the adhd symptoms disappeared in half of the kids.

My son is a restless sleeper and snorer with an adhd diagnosis. We are going to ask the pediatrician too about a sleep study. Here's one article on it.

Dr. Michael J. Breus: ADHD or Sleep Disorder: Are We Getting It Wrong?

Old 09-05-2013, 10:18 PM

502 posts, read 896,379 times
My twin girls have snored since they were very young (now 6). They are both very restless sleepers moving all over the bed. They also wake up at night and usually climb in our bed. One of them also chatters her teeth so loud it wakes my husband up. I am convinced she has chipped teeth over this.

We did recently see an ENT to check the tonsils. They are large but not ridiculously so. But, he ordered sleep studies for both girls. We are waiting on results. My guess is that surgery is in our near future:-)

BTW, neither is over-weight. They are actually a bit underweight.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Likely a tonsil/adenoid issue or maybe even seasonal allergies.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:01 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojow View Post
My twin girls have snored since they were very young (now 6). They are both very restless sleepers moving all over the bed. They also wake up at night and usually climb in our bed. One of them also chatters her teeth so loud it wakes my husband up. I am convinced she has chipped teeth over this.

We did recently see an ENT to check the tonsils. They are large but not ridiculously so. But, he ordered sleep studies for both girls. We are waiting on results. My guess is that surgery is in our near future:-)

My son is also underweight, I'm not sure the weight/apnea relationship is as relevant with kids. Were your girls preemies? My son was about a 36wk baby (he was adopted so its an estimate) and I've read it's more common with earlier babies.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Likely a tonsil/adenoid issue or maybe even seasonal allergies.
I've seen a child with swollen adenoids trying to sleep...not pretty. They toss and turn all night...they make weird sounds like they're having trouble breathing, half snore, half gasping for breath..Of course they're thirsty cause they breathe through their mouths. They also might have trouble staying awake during the day, from lack of good sleep at night. Once the adenoids were out, the child I saw (and still know) was sleeping as soundly as the next...quite amazing how that can effect a child.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times
Is it possible that he doesn't have adhd but, rather, just needs to be well-rested for optimal focus, clarity, etc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojow View Post

Old 01-18-2014, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,515 times
I don't know why my ENTs that I've seen won't do the tonsilectomy when it does help sleep apnea in kids? don't the tonsils secrete inflammatory chemicals that worsen asthma too?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:53 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Just wondering if any of you have had a child with sleep apnea? Our 4 year old wakes up a lot during the night. He also snores on and off. He is in constant motion, like he is trying to get comfortable and will ask for a drink of water about 5 times a night. I have not heard the hallmark pause in his breathing, but will probably take him to the pediatrician to see if he needs s sleep study. I know all children are different, but our older child has always slept like a log, and this one seems like he is awake half the night. He isn't overweight--50% height/weight. How soundly do your 4 year olds sleep?
Get him to the doctor. That should be your first step. In many cases it's tonsils that are causing the issue.....but that is for a doc to diagnose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting