Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 04:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Has helicopter parenting declined at all in the last few years due to the economy and the sheer cost of being overbearing? It's awfully expensive.

“It used to be that we let the kids go play outside any time, but now parents feel like that’s an irresponsible attitude,” says Caplan. The result? A generation that some have accused of overparenting or helicopter parenting, which comes at a price. Costly gymnastic lessons, marching band and competitive sports can not only leave kids overscheduled but they can leave parents overbudget trying to keep up."

8 Reasons Parenting Has Gotten More Expensive

Last edited by Jaded; 09-23-2013 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: Moved post to new thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 05:48 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
EVERYTHING has gotten more expensive. I call BS on a LOT of that article. The price of food has soared - they're selling Wheaties for nearly $5 a box here, while milk is $1 more per gallon than it was last year - but I still feed my kids.

Listen , I'm not trying to defend "helicopter parenting," but signing your kids up for activities does not = "overbearing." Most parents who sign up their kids for activities aren't trying to "hover" or relegate child-rearing to another teacher.

Most parents I know who do this are trying to teach their kids stuff and offer their children a range of experiences.

Studies have shown that people will always find money for their pets and kids.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I'm surprised you only zeroed in on one of the eight reasons. I guess you disapprove of activities and sports. I zeroed in on technology. That's where I see the biggest increase in parenting costs compared to my childhood. When I was growing up, we participated in many activities, sports, and such, but we didn't have these expensive electronics and our parents weren't paying for internet and cable. Yes, I'm that old that I remember before there was cable.

The money aspect for activities and sports hasn't changed. What has changed is the parents' time and participation. Parents didn't attend practices or go to every single game, especially away games. They sure didn't sit and watch us in gymnastics class. They dropped us off and picked us up. Sometime we'd have to hang out for an hour waiting until it fit their schedule. Sometimes we walked to the ball field by ourselves.

I believe activities and sports are super important for children to be exposed to many different things. I'm including music lessons, and everything in there. I didn't limit what my children did. If they wanted to try something, I was all for it. My children chose their careers based on those experiences. My niece is a professional musician for a symphony because of band. You just never know what an activity will become in the future. It has nothing to do with helicoptering. It has to do with wanting children to be enriched and exposed to as many experiences they show an interest in trying. And that's not new in my world because my parents did the same for my siblings and me 40 years ago.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:09 AM

384 posts, read 594,503 times
It's only gotten more expensive due to the inflation and devaluation of the American dollar.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:55 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Has helicopter parenting declined at all in the last few years due to the economy and the sheer cost of being overbearing? It's awfully expensive.

“It used to be that we let the kids go play outside any time, but now parents feel like that’s an irresponsible attitude,†says Caplan. The result? A generation that some have accused of overparenting or helicopter parenting, which comes at a price. Costly gymnastic lessons, marching band and competitive sports can not only leave kids overscheduled but they can leave parents overbudget trying to keep up."

8 Reasons Parenting Has Gotten More Expensive
I call BS on activities being the driver of the cost of raising a child. The article mentions EIGHT reasons. Why have you focused on this one?

I am 48. I took music lessons when I was a kid as did my brother. We also played sports. I was in the orchestra of the school musical. My brother played travel soccer. These are activities that have always cost money. They are not new and they don't take up any more of the budget than they ever have. We weren't the only kids taking music lessons and playing sports in the 1970s.

Try again.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:24 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,853 times
As a parent trying to cut costs, I really do laugh at the idea that activities NEED to drive the budget out of control.
I haven't hit music and sports yet, but so far I've hobbled together a nice free or very low cost list of activities for my kids involving literacy, crafting, and agriculture. Mainly by using the library system and the internet to find kids days and free tours at meusems and farms.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:25 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,379,197 times
Kids are expensive, but only as much as their parents allow them to be. Kids don't need their own bedroom, a brand new cars, or a smartphone.

Cars- My kids got used cars. My attitude was they could get new cars when they could they afford them themselves. The car was in my name until they turned 18. They were required to pay for gas. If they didn't have money, too bad

Cellphone- My three oldest were grown before the cellphone crazy. My youngest had one and ran up $400 bill,so my ex shut it off. My attitude would be that you get a prepaid phone until you can pay for your own.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:32 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
The overuse of the term helicopter parenting is what keeps going up.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:52 AM

5,214 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
As a parent trying to cut costs, I really do laugh at the idea that activities NEED to drive the budget out of control.
I haven't hit music and sports yet, but so far I've hobbled together a nice free or very low cost list of activities for my kids involving literacy, crafting, and agriculture. Mainly by using the library system and the internet to find kids days and free tours at meusems and farms.

This above requires a lot of research and deligence...but with twins this is how my wife does it. Home Depot and Lowes have weekend workshops for kids, there are a ton of things my daughters do also from art at the local gallery to library crafts and story times. Whole Foods also does an hour deal for the kids either crafts or making mini pizza.

Everything costs alot these days but if your willing to search things out you would be surprised at what you will find...........and some of these finds are really outside the box in creativity for kids.

Whole Kids Craft & Story Time | Whole Foods Market

Old 09-24-2013, 07:26 AM

384 posts, read 594,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Kids are expensive, but only as much as their parents allow them to be. Kids don't need their own bedroom, a brand new cars, or a smartphone.

Cars- My kids got used cars. My attitude was they could get new cars when they could they afford them themselves. The car was in my name until they turned 18. They were required to pay for gas. If they didn't have money, too bad

Cellphone- My three oldest were grown before the cellphone crazy. My youngest had one and ran up $400 bill,so my ex shut it off. My attitude would be that you get a prepaid phone until you can pay for your own.
I loved when my mom gave me her "used" SUV (2010 model). I didn't need any fancy gadgets or doohickies, just a car that ran and wasn't trashed. Best gift ever IMO, as a car was way out of my price range. I wouldn't think any kid would be dissapointed in getting a car as a hand me down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting