Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 11:53 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,102,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
These kids are not starving at all.
It kind of sounds like they are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 03:29 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,687,436 times
Our parents solved the problem of stealing food by barring us from the kitchen (except during meal times or to get a drink of water) and making us go outside to play. Playing is a very good distraction when it comes to hunger.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:55 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Our parents solved the problem of stealing food by barring us from the kitchen (except during meal times or to get a drink of water) and making us go outside to play. Playing is a very good distraction when it comes to hunger.
My parents made sure that I had plenty of flavorful and nutritious food. I never knew anyone whose parents didn't.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:28 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,687,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
My parents made sure that I had plenty of flavorful and nutritious food. I never knew anyone whose parents didn't.
Never said mine didnt. What i did (indirectly) say is that my parent/s were on a budget and couldnt afford for us to eat everything in sight because we were growing kids with the munchies. If we were hungry then we shouldve eaten all the food on our plates from the previous meal, we shouldve asked for seconds, or the ever popular "the next meal wont be too far off. you can wait".

Old 09-29-2016, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,331 times
My son was doing something similar to this, despite plenty of food in the home. No matter how many boundaries I would set or even placing a small fridge in his room for his personal snacks, he would still sneak food out of the fridge, etc etc. It turns out that my son had a very serious case of ADHD (impulsive and hyper type) and aspergers. I was told the behavior was mostly due to the impulsitivity (which was very extreme). It was like he was on a motor with no self control. Other behaviors were talking impulsively out of turn, stealing invaluable objects.... I'm not an advocate for meds, but after many years of this behavior (which translated into school discipline as well) I finally caved in and placed him on vyvanse. The behaviors changed almost over night. He was finally able to control his impulsely much better.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,331 times
I just read the last of your post (skimmed through first paragraph only).
I would make sure the kids are getting the adequate food intake they need. If this truly isn't the issue, I would set structure and predictable routine for meals and snacks. Child proofing and safety locks are a must. I would also keep a small cabinet for "free access" snacks and drinks the kids can independently access ("their" snack cabinet). If you still have an issue after these preventative measures, I would consider taking a closer look at a child's behavioral/ mental health. It would be odd if only one child was doing this (not all the kids- which mostly points to hunger, etc). Only one of my son's was doing this, and the behavior was just one of many, many red flags....

Old 09-30-2016, 01:40 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,292 times
I know you're on a tight budget but if you can try a snack bin. We do this with our son and it keeps him from rummaging for other food and we keep whatever we can in it. It usually includes fruit, pb crackers, goldfish and other things of that sort. But you can tweak it by your budget and find the right fit. We actually do a snack bin in the pantry for dry goods (ie goldfish, pb crackers, things like that) and a drawer in the fridge for fruit/veggies. Again not sure if your budget can afford it but for us it seems to keep him from eating other items.

Another question...how much water are they drinking? Sometimes thirst can masquerade as hunger so you could try to fill them up on that...or for a cheap snack, do DIY popsicles from sugar free koolaid. You can make a ton of them from one packet and save money on snacks because they'll eat the popsicle instead of mindlessly downing bread.

I don't think that spanking or punishing is going to get you far if they're doing it out of hunger. If there are other issues at play figure out what those are and try different ways of addressing them to see if you can determine the cause. Good luck!

Old 09-30-2016, 03:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Something doesn't sound right. Kids fed on a regular schedule don't usually feel the need to steal food. Is it at all possible they are doing so because you and your wife are so busy with school that they are looking for attention? I'm not judging, just offering a possible motive, because my head scratching didn't give me anything better.

How about a snack shelf in the refrigerator, or a tray on the counter, that they can have free access to? I'm thinking healthier options such as pretzels or fruit. You control the contents, everything else is off limits.
I agree. It isn't as much a discipline problem as it is they are still hungry problem.
They need to eat more at their meal times. You obviously need to provide more for them to eat....maybe more protein also. They also need snack times. Kids are always hungry, unless you keep them full of good things, they'll eat junk foods.
Make them snacks to put into the fridge on a tray just for them. Celery sticks with p-nut butter, carrot sticks, apple slices. Make a big deal out of them being able to eat when they are hungry, and have this tray available. It will keep them from climbing and hurting themselves. You could also try a snack drawer...and just put a couple things each inside the drawer. Refill daily with non-perishable healthy snacks. Applesauce cups, fruit cups, etc.

Here are a few links to healthy, affordable, and kid friendly snacks.

The 20 Best Snacks for Kids

Inexpensive, Healthy Snacks for Kids

32 Healthy Kids Snacks | Parenting

cheap easy healthy snacks - AllYou.com

Kids Can Make: Healthy Snacks : Food Network

Sit up some rules...they can only eat the snacks at the table....that sort of easy to follow type rule. Kids need a strict routine, regular meals times....snacks in between that are healthy. Parents get so busy it is easy to fall behind.

They are obviously resourceful, so have them make some snacks with you....it will make them feel proud of themselves....it will also start a healthy relationship with good foods for them that will guide their lives.

Mom should lie down and nap with the babies, but try not to fall asleep while the children are running around...too many things they can get into. Also, it is always best to be up in the am with your children when they are that young.

Good luck and hope you are gonna have a great degree and job soon!

Old 09-30-2016, 03:54 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,764,588 times
The thread is from 2013. Apparently the OP is no longer with his girlfriend and her children. They were her children, not his.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:28 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Don't know what to do! We have a 7 y/o girl, 5 y/o girl, 3 y/o boy, and 1.5 y/o boy.

The problem mainly lies with my 3 year old boy. Just this morning, I walk into the kitchen and notice a dining room chair in front of the fridge, with the stool on it. He took the brand new loaf of bread from the top of the fridge and brought it in his room, where he and his little brother were just munching on all of it. The bread was ruined, slobbered on, ripped, squished etc. He also went into the fridge and ate 6 of the 8 cinnabons we baked last night. Why was the bread on top of the fridge and pushed so far back you may ask...? Because just yesterday morning all 4 of them managed to get a DIFFERENT loaf of bread, and ate the entire thing.

This past Friday after getting out of the shower to go check on the girls doing their homework in the dining room, I hear the oldest one scramble from the kitchen and run back into the dining room. They stole candy from the fridge (and lied about it). About a week ago, after the kids had finished eating (myself and their mother hadn't ate yet, we were doing homework) and when we went into the kitchen to grab our chicken, one was missing and the other piece of chicken had bite marks all over it.

These are just a few of many examples. We have tried putting them in the corner and time out and talking to them, taking away TV, taking away toys, we have even spanked them about it. It is still happening. It is wasting our money like crazy. We are at a loss on what to do. Please, suggestions! Cheap suggestions. We are not a wealthy family by any means. So buying locks for cabinets/fridge will have to be a last resort, and only after a few more paychecks come in. Please! Going crazy.

Oh, and by the way, they are teaching the 20 month old baby that this is okay. I know this because he stays at home with his mom while I'm at school, and I guess she fell asleep today because when I got home there were crackers all over his room.....

These kids are not starving at all. I love food, so I cook a lot of good and healthy meals that everyone enjoys. They eat plenty. Yes the dad is the main cook here, lol.

Too many children for just 1 person to deal with.The oldest being 7yrs old??Only option IS to just put a lock on the fridge and put the rest of the pantry foods ..hide them somewhere else in the house locked behind a door.Kids that age will AlWAYS be getting into stuff and since there are 4 of them and 1 of you...well yeah it sucks.I'm sure getting a nanny is out of the question??Just get 2 locks..one for the fridge and the other for pantry goods and keep those locked somewhere else in the house..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting