Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Define "junk".
I'm sorry if my comment was incorrect based on my lack of knowledge of eating disorder issues. (Not being snarky! Being sincere.) I guess I would not define junk. I was responding to the poster's use of that word. There are a lot of things we buy VERY irregularly that for our family we'd call junk. The issue I have is locking it up for some people's consumption but not for others. Just does not seem like a good idea to me. So I guess I would define junk as anything that has to be locked up so as to prevent obsessive consumption. I don't know. It just seems better not to have it around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 11:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I'm sorry if my comment was incorrect based on my lack of knowledge of eating disorder issues. (Not being snarky! Being sincere.) I guess I would not define junk. I was responding to the poster's use of that word. There are a lot of things we buy VERY irregularly that for our family we'd call junk. The issue I have is locking it up for some people's consumption but not for others. Just does not seem like a good idea to me. So I guess I would define junk as anything that has to be locked up so as to prevent obsessive consumption. I don't know. It just seems better not to have it around.
I hear you. Believe me, I know way more about EDs than I would ever have wanted to know, having gone through it with one daughter. And like many moms, I thought I was doing all the right things WRT food. I do agree with your issues about locking up the food. In fact, that sounds kind of ED-ish to me.

Like you, I/we bought "nutritionally challenged" food, as my DH likes to call it, sporadically when we were raising the kids. A bag of chips here, a carton of ice cream there, etc. Still do, actually.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:55 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I hear you. Believe me, I know way more about EDs than I would ever have wanted to know, having gone through it with one daughter. And like many moms, I thought I was doing all the right things WRT food. I do agree with your issues about locking up the food. In fact, that sounds kind of ED-ish to me.

Like you, I/we bought "nutritionally challenged" food, as my DH likes to call it, sporadically when we were raising the kids. A bag of chips here, a carton of ice cream there, etc. Still do, actually.
I guess for us it has always been if it should be eaten in moderation just buy it in moderation. Helps the budget too! But I could be full of poo.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:36 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If the stealing is nothing but candy, chips, and cookies, don't have that stuff in the house. Get rid of the candy and put out a bowl of fruit and tell them they can have as much as they want.
Completely agree. They'll eat whatever you have. I don't buy juice regularly anymore because my youngest is a bit heavy, so they're forced to drink water at home. I don't buy Oreos anymore either. They haven't complained about why there's no juice or Oreos (thank goodness!).

Old 05-24-2017, 10:24 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,887,699 times
Your kids need more healthy food. Have a doctor evaluate them.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 807 times
There are a lot of judgemental people on here that are to quick to assume that the parents are at fault. Kids are sneaky it can be difficult to catch them at everything they can do, and don’t put anything past three year olds you’d me amazed what they can get into. As for the foods that there choosing to sneak it is it that unusual for kids to steal bread, and their not devouring the loaf of bread there destroying it and making it inedible. Perhaps these parents don’t keep much in the way of junk food lying around the house? Also these parents are very busy so it could just be a way to get attention that does not mean the parents should be vilified they need help getting their children under control not contempt! As for not eating meals together not every family can sit down for every meal together, sometimes you just don’t have time to sit down and eat but you do make time to make sure that your children get served a healthy meal at a reasonable time. Also for those of you who think that the children should be watched for every second of there meal obviously have a lot more time on there hands then the rest of us or there kids eat a heck of a lot quicker than mine, because little kids taken forever to eat.

Last edited by Remissmurphy; 01-08-2019 at 03:48 PM..

Old 01-08-2019, 05:38 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Sorry, have not read the entire thread, but ask them WHY they are doing this, and listen to their answers.

If "I'm hungry" is an answer, then do some reorganizing - plan 3 filling meals a day with two or three snacks. Have a snack drawer that they can access at any time.

Kids who are satiated would not do this.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
The OP is from 2013. I am sure the issue has been resolved after 7 years. The oldest child in the OP would be 14 now. The youngest would be 8.5.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:30 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
I glanced through the OP's recent posts and he and his girlfriend seem to be doing better financially. I hope the kids are doing just as well.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 481 times
As a mom of 4 boys I completely understand what youre going through. My 7,5,4, and 3 yo constantly steal food and drinks from the kitchen. I have done numerous types of punishment to get them to stop but they won't. it isn't attention problems as I'm a stay at home mom. They get three meals and snacks in between each one, but every night its the same. They get into things they aren't supposed to and make an enormous mess. I have child proofed my fridge but my 4 yo has figured out every lock in the house. I started leaving juice and snacks for them at night. They eat those and whatever else they find. None of them are over weight and their doctor said it could just be a form of acting out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting