Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 02:37 PM

501 posts, read 933,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But I don't think that not having a life yourself is even good for the kids.
I work 60 hours a week. And spend 15 hours a week commuting. And I spent 56 hours a week sleeping. That leaves 37 hours a week for kids time + meal time + hobby time. Figure I spend 7 hours a week for meals, that leaves me about 3 hours a day to spend with kids. I really hate to cut my 3 hours a day down.

I could talk endless about my job, about how much money I make, or about how my coworkers are dimwits or about how the senior management is making stupid decisions, or about the technical problems that I am having, like when one data bus isn't properly communicating to another data bus so I had to go measure light level readings across four pieces of fiber optic cable but found three of them weren't connected properly, but all of those things seem to be pretty boring in comparison to my family. Talking about, and sharing picture of, little kids and the things they do is fun, engaging, and special. And yes, I'm sure it annoys those without kids, but even they would rather hear about my kids than data busses.

What would be fun to talk about is recreational hobbies like skiing or mountain bike riding or trail running or whatever, but then I have to cut into the 3 hours a day with family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 02:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I'd like to say that, as a parent, I'm pretty obsessed over my daughter and what she is doing. Every little thing is important to me, and it probably drives some people (especially those without kids) nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
But I don't think that not having a life yourself is even good for the kids.
I agree because kids end up under a microscope and "every little thing" becomes magnified. That means problems and achievements are bigger than they really are. I think it's best to be a role model as someone well rounded with passions and interests outside of the family too. It makes for better conversation with the children themselves, not just other parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting