Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:38 PM

95 posts, read 171,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
He has been in horseback riding in the past, but refused to hold the reins and listen. It was not therapy based, but therapy based riding is expensive. He may go back to the riding lessons with his sister eventually now that he has become more verbal. He astounds me sometimes - this child was talking very little last year, but today we had an entire conversation about his *pretend cat.* I would like to see his mom get him into a martial art, but I don't know if she will attempt it. He is still very rigid about what he *will* do and what he *won't* do. He does things at his own pace and that is ok with us.
Many Cub Scout packs are being trained on how to work with autistic kids. The pack my son was in until he advanced to Boy Scouts had several autistic boys. His boy scout troop has two autistic teens. They seem to love scouts.

My daughter is autistic and loves Girl Scouts, well, most days, lol. She has never wanted to participate in other organized activities, so we try to do a lot as a family. We go letterboxing and geocaching, hiking, and attend community events, etc. She stopped liking church after the pastor talked about becoming a church member and Bible Study homework, lol. She has started to help one day a week in a class at her charter school. She helps the teacher and helps some of the younger kids with reading.

My son loves sports, so he is usually signed up for something. He is also a Boy Scout and loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 11:41 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,010,013 times
My 3 year old goes to preschool one day per week and music class one day per week. This summer he needs to learn to swim. Next year he'll start making the age cutoff for sports.

My 5 year old does tball in spring, football in fall, and will do basketball this winter. He did karate for a year but doesn't want to go anymore. During the summer he goes to Lego camp.

Sometimes they do crossfit kids.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:58 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,325,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
My 7yo is in Tae Kwon Do and she also has piano lessons. My 4yo is just in Tae Kwon Do. [My husband and I are also in the TKD class, so it is a family activity]
I love the idea of family TKD. Sounds like fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
My 3 year old goes to preschool one day per week and music class one day per week. This summer he needs to learn to swim. Next year he'll start making the age cutoff for sports.

My 5 year old does tball in spring, football in fall, and will do basketball this winter. He did karate for a year but doesn't want to go anymore. During the summer he goes to Lego camp.

Sometimes they do crossfit kids.
Crossfit kids? I didn't know they had that. That seems like a great way to burn energy!

Old 10-21-2013, 06:03 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
Second oldest does academic stuff like Odyssey of the mind, Science Olympiad, Battle of the books. She also takes flute lessons/recitals/band concerts.

Youngest loves gymnastics, soccer and knitting. Yes knitting! Lol. She wants to add karate in which I'm thinking in January of putting her in it.

My oldest oldest when he was home, took violin and played rugby/lacrosse.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:16 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,370,334 times
At 3-4 we did ballet, and then tried again at 5. It wasn't for DD, she didn't care for it much. At 6 she began karate, then we picked up girl scouting, and horseback riding has always been around her because I ride. She doesn't ride consistently but anytime shes feeling up for it, I take her.

Right now karate and girl scouts take up a lot of time. I would like to see her try soccer, but im pretty sure she wants to do cheer soon. Finding sports that work with working parent schedules is half the reason she can't particpate in some extra curricular activities. I wish there were more options for Saturday/Sunday for practices/games,etc.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
He has been in horseback riding in the past, but refused to hold the reins and listen. It was not therapy based, but therapy based riding is expensive. He may go back to the riding lessons with his sister eventually now that he has become more verbal. He astounds me sometimes - this child was talking very little last year, but today we had an entire conversation about his *pretend cat.* I would like to see his mom get him into a martial art, but I don't know if she will attempt it. He is still very rigid about what he *will* do and what he *won't* do. He does things at his own pace and that is ok with us.
Our family TKD class is welcoming to kids with special needs. There is my 4yo girl with developmental delay, plus a 5yo boy with autism, plus a 6yo girl with a muscle and siezure disorder originating from brain damage. For each of these kids, they also happen to have a sibling and at least one parent also in the class. The children with special needs participate to the extent that they can or want to. My daughter will sometimes participate in class, but other times will sit on the side and watch, and other times will just play on her own. I am happy if she answers "yes sir" when her name is called, or stands on her tape when we are lined up. She enjoys certain parts of the class, like kicking lines, and sometimes even tries to imitate jumping jacks and push ups with us. Our master is happy for the kids with special needs to participate to the extent that they will, and does not pressure them if they don't. He says that they will see mom or dad or brother or sister doing it, and that eventually they will want to do it too, but he is happy for them to go at their own pace. It's been really nice for us that he has been so understanding and accommodating for our family. I can see that my daughter is really doing so much more in the 6 months that she has been in this class, though she still doesn't participate on the same level that the other kids her own age do.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:22 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,325,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Second oldest does academic stuff like Odyssey of the mind, Science Olympiad, Battle of the books. She also takes flute lessons/recitals/band concerts.

Youngest loves gymnastics, soccer and knitting. Yes knitting! Lol. She wants to add karate in which I'm thinking in January of putting her in it.

My oldest oldest when he was home, took violin and played rugby/lacrosse.
I remember being in Odyssey of the Mind and Science Olympiad!!! Those were the good 'ol days! I love how OM allowed us to be so creative. I also enjoyed making everything without the help of adults. I wish that these programs were more well known!

Old 10-21-2013, 11:24 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I remember being in Odyssey of the Mind and Science Olympiad!!! Those were the good 'ol days!
It's time consuming but really fun and worthwhile. My oldest has always loved academic competitions. It's funny how different kids are, my youngest doesn't have a whit of interest in it. (and that's fine with me, relief really lol)

Old 10-21-2013, 02:41 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,490,004 times
My 7-year-old has tried ballet/tap (boring), tae kwon do (boring), soccer (3 years and counting), basketball (fun, but chose not to re-enroll), Girl Scouts (quit after 2 years), and gymnastics. She has asked for piano lessons for the spring, and we may give her horseback riding lessons for her birthday.

The 6-year-old is in gymnastics and thinks she might want to try ballet.

The 4-year-old boy was allowed to start activities this fall. He is in gymnastics and soccer, but thinks he might want to play t-ball in the spring.

They are all in swim lessons in the summer, but more so they don't drown, not for competition.

We are encouraging them to try lots of things, but we limit how many then can do in any one semester so that we don't spend all our time driving. They are still little and need free play too.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:16 PM

2,208 posts, read 3,364,074 times
My son - in preschool and elementary school: karate, soccer, basketball, flag football, learned to swim. Middle school: cross country, club swimming. High school: club & high school swimming. He's in college now and doing club triathlon (open water swimming, biking and running competitions).

My daughter - in preschool and elementary school: ballet, tap, learned to swim. Middle school: belly dance. High school:various types of dance (contemporary, jazz, ballet, belly, & more).

I'm probably leaving some out (Rec & Park gymnastics for 6 weeks, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting