Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:34 AM

14,941 posts, read 12,136,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
The whole tone of the letter is very condescending and disdainful. understand dealing with stinky, dirty kids on a regular basis is unpleasant, but there is definitely a more tactful and respectful way she could have addressed the situation. Even if my child got this note and I knew that she was NOT one of the kids being referred to in it, I would still be disturbed by the disdain this teacher has for small kids.

And why on earth would she have a line for a 3-4 year old child to sign? That was just plain stupid. If she felt such a need to send a message to the parent, that's between the parent and the teacher, NOT a preschool aged child. It doesn't look like this teacher has either the tolerance or the common sense to be working with children this age.
That's the problem I saw with it. I don't think sending any letter, let alone one that's worded the way this one is will solve anything, if a child has a hygiene problem, IMO it should be dealt with individually between the teacher and the parents. There may be other issues, specific reasons for the lack of hygiene, that would better be dealt between the parents and teacher.

At least that's the way we used to do it back in the dinosaur age....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Maybe it's true, but it sounds more like one of those fake internet stories.
It is a true story. I heard the principal being interviewed on a major network's nightly news show shortly after this occurred.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:24 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That's the problem I saw with it. I don't think sending any letter, let alone one that's worded the way this one is will solve anything, if a child has a hygiene problem, IMO it should be dealt with individually between the teacher and the parents. There may be other issues, specific reasons for the lack of hygiene, that would better be dealt between the parents and teacher.

At least that's the way we used to do it back in the dinosaur age....
Idk, I see some value in sending a letter to every parent first. There's a chance that some parents will admit (privately, to themselves) that their kid is one of the "several" and handle the situation with this minimal embarrassment. Further, it lets all the parents know that the teacher is not trying to single anyone out, so it may discourage them from claiming things like "That b**** just doesn't like my kid!" It's worth a shot, anyway. That, and it's a time and face saver for all involved, particularly when there are more than just one or two kids who smell.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:27 PM

45,353 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Idk, I see some value in sending a letter to every parent first. There's a chance that some parents will admit (privately, to themselves) that their kid is one of the "several" and handle the situation with this minimal embarrassment. Further, it lets all the parents know that the teacher is not trying to single anyone out, so it may discourage them from claiming things like "That b**** just doesn't like my kid!" It's worth a shot, anyway. That, and it's a time and face saver for all involved, particularly when there are more than just one or two kids who smell.
The parents whose kids are the smelly ones will never, ever admit it, to themselves or others. It's usually a result of neglect or just plain apathy but that parent would never recognize it. She's a "good mother". Mix in substance abuse and you have a toxic cocktail that will usually create decades of cost to society at large.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The parents whose kids are the smelly ones will never, ever admit it, to themselves or others. It's usually a result of neglect or just plain apathy but that parent would never recognize it. She's a "good mother". Mix in substance abuse and you have a toxic cocktail that will usually create decades of cost to society at large.
Hmmm, that's quite a bit of assuming. You'll forgive me for not automatically agreeing with you.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:35 PM

442 posts, read 588,199 times
She never said they smell

She used the term "odor" and expressed concern for the 3-4 year old children coming to school with dirty, soiled and stained clothing. It was worded fine.

Apparently it's a huge problem. General notes are sent home regularly when there is a class-wide problem. Sounds like she handled it fine to me. Let everyone know, had them sign it so no one can become "Personally offended" upon being approached about it. Then it get's worded "A child smelled" no matter how nicely it's worded. Children shouldn't smell or come to school in dirty clothing. I'd have no problem with this note knowing it doesn't apply to me. Now obviously if it did apply to me, I'd be quite offended as that is the usual response by parents not doing their job. Hopefully it will get cleared up soon. Not sure why it's newsworthy but oh well..

Old 12-01-2013, 12:36 PM

45,353 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Hmmm, that's quite a bit of assuming. You'll forgive me for not automatically agreeing with you.
Fine. But I'm right. You're not. At least in the majority of cases.
But, ****, what do I know? I've only been teaching in public schools for 30 years.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiawomann5 View Post
She never said they smell

She used the term "odor" and expressed concern for the 3-4 year old children coming to school with dirty, soiled and stained clothing. It was worded fine.

Apparently it's a huge problem. General notes are sent home regularly when there is a class-wide problem. Sounds like she handled it fine to me. Let everyone know, had them sign it so no one can become "Personally offended" upon being approached about it. Then it get's worded "A child smelled" no matter how nicely it's worded. Children shouldn't smell or come to school in dirty clothing. I'd have no problem with this note knowing it doesn't apply to me. Now obviously if it did apply to me, I'd be quite offended as that is the usual response by parents not doing their job. Hopefully it will get cleared up soon. Not sure why it's newsworthy but oh well..
Very well said! Couldn't agree more.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:08 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Have to agree here. Last time we had this issue with a student it's because mom was very sick (cancer) and laundry and making sure the kiddo was showering just wasn't on anyone's radar. I actually think if that was happening in elementary school a letter from the school, to the class might have handled it.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:49 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
I don't blame the teacher at all for seeing the need for a communication to the parents, but I do think this is the kind of thing she should have worked through the principal. At least have the principal fully in the loop.

But even so, it's silly for a parent to publicize what is actually a scandal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting