Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:51 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times

Advertisements

MY little guy started stuttering around 3 or so though he mostly stuttered when he was excited. Of course being the manic parent I was freaked out and started worrying. What did I do? What can I do? I thought that the best thing was to wait it out (not long though) and see what happens then move on from there to his ped if necessary. What I did when he stuttered was suggest that he stop and literally SPIT the words out. He would have to pause, spit, then talk. Boys LOVE to spit anyway so this seem so why not? lol It worked most of the time. It seems that he has outgrown this little phase, hopefully yours will too. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 08:11 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I was a stutterer up until I started school..My mom was very patient with me..She would say slow down and take your time..didn't work She was a singer..Sang all the time and sang us to sleep each night..One day I was busy playing and I was imitating mom and singing..Mom heard me and lo and behold, I was not stuttering From then on when I started to stutter I would sing what I needed to say..after just a few months my stuttering was gone (except for very seldom relapses during very exciting ti,es) I do have a word block occasionally when I am very stressed or tired...

Old 05-30-2010, 09:07 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,612,160 times
my son stutters and its terrible when he is tired, excited, or if hie attention gets caught elsewhere in the middle of a sentence. he is 4 and has been doing this since he was 3. i dont know the exact time he started but i think i began to notice it when he was learning how to pronounce his letters. i'm not sure if the way he was being taught is what triggered it or not. in his class the teacher would teach in this manner: "BUH-BUH-BUH for ball". and ever since he will stutter his words " I-I-I-IIIIIIIII want to eat!" is there anything that my family and I can do to help at home, before i decide to send him to a speech therapist?

Old 05-30-2010, 10:08 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
I agree with golfgal. Toddlers' brains often move too fast for them to articulate what they are thinking. My daughter did the same thing when she was that age. I just listened to her and ignored the stuttering. She outgrew it.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:36 PM

67 posts, read 107,900 times
My daughter had the same problem and we basically found out if was because she had so much to say that she tried to say it all at once. Remind the child everytime they stutter to slow down and think about what they're saying.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
my son stutters and its terrible when he is tired, excited, or if hie attention gets caught elsewhere in the middle of a sentence. he is 4 and has been doing this since he was 3. i dont know the exact time he started but i think i began to notice it when he was learning how to pronounce his letters. i'm not sure if the way he was being taught is what triggered it or not. in his class the teacher would teach in this manner: "BUH-BUH-BUH for ball". and ever since he will stutter his words " I-I-I-IIIIIIIII want to eat!" is there anything that my family and I can do to help at home, before i decide to send him to a speech therapist?
Why did he have a teacher at 3 years old? Doesn't sound like a professionally trained teacher. Was it daycare?

Old 05-31-2010, 07:39 AM

1,488 posts, read 2,612,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why did he have a teacher at 3 years old? Doesn't sound like a professionally trained teacher. Was it daycare?
yes. they prepare kids ages 3 to 4 for pre-k at the daycare he goes to. i dont know if they are professional or not but they have school like curriculums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting