Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 03:14 AM

210 posts, read 239,109 times

Advertisements

Is there any value in electronic toys for babies and toddlers? I see the toy stores are overloaded with them, toys that require a push of a button or have a screen of some sort.

Personally, I think young babies and toddlers need to play with other types of toys that encourage imagination and free play, not just pressing buttons and looking at a screen. They need to be read to by actual people, not an electronic "leap pad" type of app on some screen.

Am I alone in my thinking? All my friends' kids have so many electronic toys, but my young kids have none. Of course when they get older, I see the value in it. But right now it just seems like they need to be doing other things like play dough, flipping through regular books, coloring, dancing, building with blocks, etc. I don't see any value in those electronic toys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 07:22 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
I don't really like them. Whether or not they have any value, they annoy the hell out of me with all the noises! My toddler has had a few electronic toys but I got rid of them a year and a half ago and she hasn't missed them. I'd rather she played with toys that are a bit more open-ended and require her to use her imagination more like blocks, play dough, play kitchen etc.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:25 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,588,188 times
We had a few electronic toys that my son really loved and that I thought were worthwhile (like the musical play table and piano), but overall he never really was interested in them for very long and I was always looking for things that were not electronic (which were hard to find). Ironically, now that he's older, other than video games, most of his toys are not electronic, or at least they tend not to make so many annoying noises.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,886 times
I detest them and haven't had any in my house (oldest is 4). I let him watch some digger construction on Youtube channels a few months back and then he stood at the computer yelling and screaming for more (he is autistic and gets fixated obsessions), so that was gone pretty quick!!! I play everything by ear (never say never) but I really wish to avoid that stuff again. Maybe a typical child can have fun with it and know their limits, but not my oldest (and obviously it wouldn't be fair to him if I let his brother do it)

Old 01-12-2014, 03:55 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
Our boys had a Blue's Clue's electronic toy that played the planet song. They loved it and knew all their planets very early on.

I'd say it really depends on the toy. Also, anything in excess is not good... so keep moderation in mind.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:04 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I detest them and haven't had any in my house (oldest is 4). I let him watch some digger construction on Youtube channels a few months back and then he stood at the computer yelling and screaming for more (he is autistic and gets fixated obsessions), so that was gone pretty quick!!! I play everything by ear (never say never) but I really wish to avoid that stuff again. Maybe a typical child can have fun with it and know their limits, but not my oldest (and obviously it wouldn't be fair to him if I let his brother do it)
Excellent thinking. I have observed many autistic children who are obsessed with computers and it is a very hard obsession to break.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:50 AM

906 posts, read 1,768,030 times
We avoided most electronic toys so far for our son (15 months old). We stick to blocks, cups, shape sorters, musical instruments, soft toys, basic cars/trucks -- things that have shape, texture, and color. Kids that age need to learn coordination in three dimensions. I doubt the baby "laptops" or tablets do that.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:32 AM

741 posts, read 1,289,232 times
To my toddler they have zero value.
The one and ONLY one toy she has that is battery powered is a little phone whose keys make a faint beep when she presses them, and OH MAN does she love it.
Otherwise she loves dancing, playing with measuring cups, her stuffed monkey, wood puzzles, and her felt pizza.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,411,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriousjane View Post
Is there any value in electronic toys for babies and toddlers? I see the toy stores are overloaded with them, toys that require a push of a button or have a screen of some sort.

Personally, I think young babies and toddlers need to play with other types of toys that encourage imagination and free play, not just pressing buttons and looking at a screen. They need to be read to by actual people, not an electronic "leap pad" type of app on some screen.

Am I alone in my thinking? All my friends' kids have so many electronic toys, but my young kids have none. Of course when they get older, I see the value in it. But right now it just seems like they need to be doing other things like play dough, flipping through regular books, coloring, dancing, building with blocks, etc. I don't see any value in those electronic toys.
you're far from alone in your thinking. every one has a different approach. my son is into "electronics" but doesn't only use electronics (he's 3 in march). my daughter is 18 months old and could not care less about electronics.

is there value in them? well, sure there is. electronics are here and they will need to use them more and more as they get older. is there value in a young child learning how to use them? Why wouldn't there be? Depending on the child, maybe they could learn programming at a very young age. there are plenty of creative things you can do with electronics. so there's value in that. Personally, i think the key is to not let electronics replace all the other stuff a child does. play-doh, coloring, painting, building. etc.

It's just another tool in the shed, and I think most would agree, it shouldn't be unlimited exposure.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:34 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
Here ya go. This is about as absurd as it gets. Be sure to read the customer reviews which BTW have become the latest source of comedy all over amazon.

Amazon.com: CTA Digital 2-in-1 iPotty with Activity Seat for iPad: Baby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting