Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 04:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You do know that minimum wage isn't that much outside of San Francisco, right? Minimum wage has not kept up with inflation, and tuition has skyrocketed. It is much harder to earn a living now than it was, and much more expensive to go to school now than it was when you went.
Yes... but I live here and went to school here.

Part of the reason I attended State is because it was affordable... still took me 5 years to work my way through school.

Not directed at you... I hear parents talk about the 40 to 50k they are spending sending their kids off to college... it is hard for me to fathom because the SF Bay area is home to several great universities and several very good ones... State, UC, Private, Catholic, etc...

When pressed the answer is always the same... their kid had their heart set on going off to school and this is what it costs...

No wonder it is so expensive.

Two of the nurses I work with are new grads... they are in their mid 20's... both used the GI bill to pay for their nursing degrees and I know one in process.

Don't forget not all that long ago, the only chance for many to go to school was with military service.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My youngest sibling still has kids pre high school... it makes me chuckle when I hear 8, 10 and 12 year old talk about college... their parents have started them out young.
My girlfriend should be ashamed of herself for doing that to her children. She was a snob about education, pushed her children, telling them only Ivy League would do, and anyone who goes to a lesser university doesn't have a chance at succeeding in life. Guess what? Her first two kids got accepted to Ivy League schools, and she couldn't afford to send them! (Granted, she was drilling it into their heads prior to the crash of the stock market.) It wouldn't be so bad if she hadn't acted like a state college was only good enough for a career flipping burgers.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Yes... but I live here and went to school here.

Part of the reason I attended State is because it was affordable... still took me 5 years to work my way through school.

Not directed at you... I hear parents talk about the 40 to 50k they are spending sending their kids off to college... it is hard for me to fathom because the SF Bay area is home to several great universities and several very good ones... State, UC, Private, Catholic, etc...

When pressed the answer is always the same... their kid had their heart set on going off to school and this is what it costs...

No wonder it is so expensive.

Two of the nurses I work with are new grads... they are in their mid 20's... both used the GI bill to pay for their nursing degrees and I know one in process.

Don't forget not all that long ago, the only chance for many to go to school was with military service.
I don't understand why you have a problem with this. It isn't some frivolous gift like a luxury car or expensive vacation. It is college. If the kid gets accepted, and the family can afford it, there is nothing wrong with going away to college. I have a lot of respect for anyone who puts his or herself through school, but not everyone needs to do that. Not everyone needs to stay in town and go to the least expensive school. There is nothing wrong with these choices, just because they happen to be different from yours.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Yes... I paid my way through school... took 5 years, no scholarships or student loans... at times I had three jobs... working on campus and working in a auto parts store near campus plus summer jobs...

I did have help... one Christmas my Grandparents have me a $500 check to help and when my Great Aunt died her will left $1,000 to each of us for college.

My parents did say I could live at home as long as was in school... then again I started paying room and board at age 12 with from the money I earned... I was paid $50 a week and $20 to mom, $20 in the bank for college, $4 and change taxes and withholding and $5 that was mine to buy lunch for the week.

My siblings didn't like all the rules and one moved out the day after high school and NEVER moved back... he is very successful in business and paid his way through UC Berkeley living in a trailer parked at a riding stables where he worked nights and weekends cleaning horse stalls and riding a motorcycle as his only means of transportation.
So you paid $1000/year R&B, yet you think you paid for all your expenses? These days, rent alone will be at least $1000/MONTH! That doesn't include food. You had help. That's no crime, BTW.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't understand why you have a problem with this. It isn't some frivolous gift like a luxury car or expensive vacation. It is college. If the kid gets accepted, and the family can afford it, there is nothing wrong with going away to college. I have a lot of respect for anyone who puts his or herself through school, but not everyone needs to do that. Not everyone needs to stay in town and go to the least expensive school. There is nothing wrong with these choices, just because they happen to be different from yours.
True enough...

What I find troubling is those of us in the sandwich generation supporting adult children and parents...

The most extreme example I know is of a friend that cashed out her 401k to send her daughter off to school... she took the cash and penalty and not the loan because in her words she would not be able to pay back the loan.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So you paid $1000/year R&B, yet you think you paid for all your expenses? These days, rent alone will be at least $1000/MONTH! That doesn't include food. You had help. That's no crime, BTW.
no... room and board started at age 12 through high school and stopped when I moved out to attend college... rented a room close to campus... sold my car so commuting was not an option... plus cut my expenses no longer having to pay for gas and insurance.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:03 PM

From 17 pages of posts I have learned there is NO AVERAGE AGE when parents stop helping for Bills.

In fact it seems to be as individual as the families involved.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:16 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,085 times
I moved out at 20 during college. I got a part time job to help with expenses, but my grandmother had given some money to me and my brother for college. Since we both got scholarships that covered our tuition, we put that money toward books, lab fees, and living expenses. My parents did not help with any costs once we moved out. That was their deal - we could live at home during college rent free, and they would pay for food, gas, and car insurance, or we could move out and be on our own. The only stuff they have given me since I moved out has been Christmas/birthday gifts, and a wedding and first home gift (husband and I paid for our own wedding and home down payment, and my parents wrote us a check as a gift that was probably about 15% of what we spent for the wedding and down payment).

I have not read through this entire thread, but I wonder if anyone has mentioned the discussion of EOC from the book "The Millionaire Next Door." EOC (economic outpatient care) is the term for providing financial assistance to adult children. For many adult children, all it does is create a dependency on the handouts, rather than the ambition and advantage it is intended to. Much like feeding the wild bears, or giving open-ended welfare and other handouts to people. Why work hard when someone else will provide for all your needs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting