Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 07:22 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times

Advertisements

I played with toy guns and had a BB gun. Both my kids have a multitude of toy guns, Nerf guns and water guns. My son has taken gun safety courses at Boy Scout camp. I have seen boys turn all sorts of inanimate objects into guns, it's just what they do. Obviously people should parent as they see fit, but I don't understand why people try to link toy guns to any adult behaviors, there is no correlation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 07:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I played with toy guns and had a BB gun. Both my kids have a multitude of toy guns, Nerf guns and water guns. My son has taken gun safety courses at Boy Scout camp. I have seen boys turn all sorts of inanimate objects into guns, it's just what they do. Obviously people should parent as they see fit, but I don't understand why people try to link toy guns to any adult behaviors, there is no correlation.
Did you shoot your eye out

Old 04-11-2014, 07:57 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
When I was in high school, I was hit just to the inside of my eye by a BB that ricocheted off a tree in the wooded area behind my house. That was a scary incident.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:00 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppOXpyhM2wA

Old 04-11-2014, 08:01 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
I'm familiar with the movie. It's a favorite.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:01 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,541 times
Guns are NOT toys and should not be treated as such in even a pretend fashion. I think it's weird that people let young kids play with toy guns and allow them to play shoot each other. What is the purpose of this kind of play?

When I was younger my sister found my fathers gun in a closet and actually aimed it at me. I remember being scared. Fortunately it was NOT loaded and she never actually pulled the trigger, but just thinking about what could have happened is awful.

I am not against guns. I think people should be allowed to have them. I also believe that people should be properly trained in firearms and safety. I am even okay with kids learning to shoot guns and going hunting as long as they are properly trained, supervised and are not allowed to play with or have access to a gun when parents are not around.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:22 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Our kids all had toy guns. During their cowboy phase, they were shiny silver ones, in a holster that they would have trouble keeping up on their hips. When playing Army was big, the guns were green plastic things. Water guns, yup. Nerf guns too, but they constantly lost the foam projectiles.

Our oldest had a BB gun, we lived in a rural area. It came with so many rules imposed, he really didn't take it out often. Everybody had to be out of the yard, and on the deck before he used it, only target shooting allowed, etc. The novelty wore off, and his brothers never had any interest.

No guns in our home now.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Our kids all had toy guns. During their cowboy phase, they were shiny silver ones, in a holster that they would have trouble keeping up on their hips. When playing Army was big, the guns were green plastic things. Water guns, yup. Nerf guns too, but they constantly lost the foam projectiles.

Our oldest had a BB gun, we lived in a rural area. It came with so many rules imposed, he really didn't take it out often. Everybody had to be out of the yard, and on the deck before he used it, only target shooting allowed, etc. The novelty wore off, and his brothers never had any interest.

No guns in our home now.
Marshmallow guns were all the rage for a while too. I made one for each of our kids and several neighborhood kids. They had a blast running around the neighborhood playing with them....and I'm pretty sure the little animals in the neighborhood didn't mind the treats either .

The only gun we have is a Civil War relic....

Old 04-11-2014, 08:56 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

No guns in our home now.
That's what my brothers had. There was a set parents bought them, the holster, silver guns and cowboy hat, think it even had a fringed cowboy vest.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:15 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
My parents never let us use toy guns because, "You're black kids in America."

I won't let my future children play with guns (however, water guns are okay) because there's nothing fun about shooting someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting